Gels not needed?

JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
So I've been under the impression that a gel should be a part of a curly girl's stash to hold your curls through the day. I've been using Curls Goddess Curls gel and it works nicely, but today I rushed a little in my routine and didn't use it and my hair came out just as good (if not better). All I used the was the Curls Creme Brule with my Aussie Moist as a leave-in, and it worked like a charm. My hair is bouncy, soft, and still fairly defined.

I suppose it only makes sense, since the Creme Brule says on the bottle it is a styler and not a leave-in (which is what I've been using it as...). I'm confused mostly because my hair is so thick, I figured a gel was needed, but apparently not?

Anyone else just use a cream as their styler? It seems like everyone uses a gel.
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

  • CurlyShorty3405CurlyShorty3405 Registered Users Posts: 196
    I absolutely hate gel. I use living proof products and my hair loves them. My curls aren't weighed down, they're defined and controlled. You don't need gel in your routine at all. It's all about what works best for your hair. If you like the way your hair looks more without gel don't use it !

    Sent from my 831C using CurlTalk App
    2B-2C Density-Medium/High Width-medium Length-Medium

    LoPoo: Onesta Hydrating Shampoo
    CoWash: LP Curl Conditioning Wash
    ROs: Onesta Hydrating Conditioner, LP Curl Detangling Rinse
    Weekly DC: LP Restore Mask Treatment
    Leave in: LP Restore Targeted Repair Cream
    Stylers: (in application order): LP Prime Style Extender Cream, LI, LP Curl Defining Style Cream, LP No Frizz Weightless Styling Spray, LP PHD Night Cap
    Sealer: Body Shop Olive Oil/Body Shop Argan Oil/Josie Maran Argan Oil
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    I absolutely hate gel. I use living proof products and my hair loves them. My curls aren't weighed down, they're defined and controlled.

    Sent from my 831C using CurlTalk App

    I haven't really had any good results with any gels other than the Curls Goddess Curl, so I'm thinking I just may not need any gel to work my hair. And I'm fine with that!

    I've seen the Living Proof products around, just haven't had the funds to try any!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I'm not a huge fan of gel but find that I need it or I'm too frizzy. I'm trying to get my hair in better condition and trying some different leave ins and oil to try to find an alternative to gel.
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    For me the gel helps my curls clump and prevent frizz.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,355 Curl Connoisseur
    i generally don't use gel in low dew points, but use it almost daily in high dew points, summer.
    it all depends on your hair, ingredients in the products you use, and the outside and inside climate.
    with curly hair it seems each day is different.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    Gotcha. So it seems the consensus is that gel is best used for keeping frizz at bay. I think that makes sense, as I do recall that my curls were a bit more defined and sleek when I used the gel. I just think that with the results I got today, if I don't have to spend more money on it, it's not worth buying, especially when in just a month or so I'll be back in penny-pinching, college student mode, and having one less product to buy will make all the difference!

    But if I ever do manage to land a job, I might go back to using them. I was just shocked to find that gels aren't necessarily 'mandatory' for a good hair day :)
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    I think whether gel is "mandatory" depends on your curl pattern and what you want to achieve. If I don't use gel in the winter my curls are definitely waves but I don't have to deal with frizz if IF I'm OK with looser waves.

    When the dew point is high or if it's really windy then gel is absolutely mandatory for my hair. I get great nearly curls from a normal amount of gel and if I really load it up I can get 3a curls. But if I don't use gel in high humidity or wind I have a frizzy flyaway mess.

    As with all things curly YMMV!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

    [FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

    [FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    eche428 wrote: »
    I think whether gel is "mandatory" depends on your curl pattern and what you want to achieve. If I don't use gel in the winter my curls are definitely waves but I don't have to deal with frizz if IF I'm OK with looser waves.

    When the dew point is high or if it's really windy then gel is absolutely mandatory for my hair. I get great nearly curls from a normal amount of gel and if I really load it up I can get 3a curls. But if I don't use gel in high humidity or wind I have a frizzy flyaway mess.

    As with all things curly YMMV!

    So it gives better definition? Because if so than I'd rather use it.
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    :angel1:
    JunyJu wrote: »
    eche428 wrote: »
    I think whether gel is "mandatory" depends on your curl pattern and what you want to achieve. If I don't use gel in the winter my curls are definitely waves but I don't have to deal with frizz if IF I'm OK with looser waves.

    When the dew point is high or if it's really windy then gel is absolutely mandatory for my hair. I get great nearly curls from a normal amount of gel and if I really load it up I can get 3a curls. But if I don't use gel in high humidity or wind I have a frizzy flyaway mess.

    As with all things curly YMMV!

    So it gives better definition? Because if so than I'd rather use it.

    Well it does for me but it may not for you. Unfortunately the only way you'll know is by experimenting. That's why you'll find most of us on this sight are at one time or another product junkies 😃
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

    [FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

    [FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • JunyJuJunyJu Registered Users Posts: 495 Curl Neophyte
    eche428 wrote: »
    :angel1:
    JunyJu wrote: »
    eche428 wrote: »
    I think whether gel is "mandatory" depends on your curl pattern and what you want to achieve. If I don't use gel in the winter my curls are definitely waves but I don't have to deal with frizz if IF I'm OK with looser waves.

    When the dew point is high or if it's really windy then gel is absolutely mandatory for my hair. I get great nearly curls from a normal amount of gel and if I really load it up I can get 3a curls. But if I don't use gel in high humidity or wind I have a frizzy flyaway mess.

    As with all things curly YMMV!

    So it gives better definition? Because if so than I'd rather use it.

    Well it does for me but it may not for you. Unfortunately the only way you'll know is by experimenting. That's why you'll find most of us on this sight are at one time or another product junkies 😃

    Okay! :) I was too at one point, and finally came around to cleaning it all out. I do have one more gel I could give a try :D
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

    •Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    The curls Creme brûlée gave me big, fat sweet-looking curls. That made me decide to try conditioner only styling. I have good luck with it. I keep thinking a gel will keep frizz at a minimum but its the same no matter what. Plus my hair seems to soak up gel.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    My hair looks like a big poofball without gel. Some curl creams can give me some curls and some hold but it doesnt usually last
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Registered Users Posts: 428
    I don't think gel is necessary unless you have a pretty high frizz factor. I use gel sometimes but lately I have noticed that less products make my curls actually look better. I do love two gels sometimes though they work well for me :) I just think that they work to add definition and keep the curls in place longer. My faves are L.A Looks Sports Gel and Kinky Curly Curling Custard. They can dry crunchy sometimes... but I apply a leave-in (KCKT) before my gels and once they are dry I just scrunch out the crunch.
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

    *Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

    :blob7:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file