Beauty Hacks

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
Some neat (some useless!) tips in here!

http://diply.com/auntyacid/beauty-hacks/153141/3

What are your best beauty hacks?
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• DedachanDedachan Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Curl Neophyte
    I would hesitate to use coconut oil on my face as suggested in that link. It's said to cause breakouts.
  • PigletPiglet Registered Users Posts: 1,451 Curl Neophyte
    I hate the word 'hacks' used in this context!

I use a cheap thin moisturiser to shave my legs, instead of shaving foam.
    I sometimes put vaseline over lipstick to create a gloss.

Those are my uninspiring tips that everyone probably already knows.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I love ideas like this. Sure, some of them I'd never do but I usually get at least one good idea from them. Thank you for sharing. :)

I did know about using my contact lens saline to rejuvenate mascara. Been doing that for years as well as "heating up" my eyelash curler with my hair dryer.

Did you notice they said to stop using a towel to dry hair and use a T-shirt instead? :D
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you ever heard of mixing Vaseline with regular moisturizer for really dry skin? A friend swears by it for the winter. Totally forgot about that till now.

My office chair is really big, so I usually sit init with my legs crossed. The skin over my ankle bone is really dry because of it. I wonder if that would work?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Have you ever heard of mixing Vaseline with regular moisturizer for really dry skin? A friend swears by it for the winter. Totally forgot about that till now.

My office chair is really big, so I usually sit init with my legs crossed. The skin over my ankle bone is really dry because of it. I wonder if that would work?

I use the Vaseline with cocoa butter in it on my feet and it works wonders. I'll bet this would work on that dry spot.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    In the summer or when its not too dry in the winter I just use oil as moisturizer on my body(coconut or lately grapeseed). I use oil as eye makeup remover when I run out. Also use grapeseed oil on my face sometimes before going to bed. Its made my skin better. Grapeseed oil apparently tones and tightens skin, i prefer it over coconut oil on my legs.

Im not sure this is really a hack, but just in case.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian CanadaRegistered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I use coconut oil almost exclusively on my body, it's not working on this an clue though. Maybe I'll try with some swear socks and see if that helps.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    I learned about using this stuff as an inexpensive yet effective facial primer from the beauty board here, and have been using it for a couple years:

k2-_63824e3a-be02-44eb-b6b8-15e81962202a.v1.jpg

Not a hack per say but Rosehip oil is an excellent moisturizer and skin repairer. I tried some in my hair the other day on a whim and it had a better effect (more natural shine, more frizz taming) than the pure Argan oil I'd been using.

This one is definitely a hack... How to Mask Undereye Circles using Red Lipstick

I tried it the other day with the only red lip color I have - a gloss rather than a stick, and my concealer and foundation is a bit sheer so the red still showed a bit, but it did combat the under eye color impressively.

eta: a beauty vlogger tries the hack again, adjusting for fair skin
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
    I wish we could get that Monistat in Canada, I've always wanted to try it!
    Audrey Hepburn
    I learned about using this stuff as an inexpensive yet effective facial primer from the beauty board here, and have been using it for a couple years:

k2-_63824e3a-be02-44eb-b6b8-15e81962202a.v1.jpg

Yep. Been using that for quite some time for a primer.
  • kasdenkasden Registered Users Posts: 1,045 Curl Connoisseur
    I make my own makeup remover. Take a 3 oz bottle, add a couple of good squirts of almond oil (or grapeseed, olive oil...whatever), a couple of pumps of baby wash (I use the Equate brand of Johnson & Johnson "no more tears"), fill with hot water, shake. I use it on a cotton round, gently remove eye makeup (takes off mascara, too - it's "no more tears"), turn it over and use on the rest of my face. Rinse off with a wet washcloth. Works great & very cheap!
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    -I make my own solution to prevent ingrowns. For me, it's easier to apply than to exfoliate.
    -Last summer, I discovered that hand sanitizer works well as a backup deodorant
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • TRBLTRBL Registered Users Posts: 5,294 Curl Connoisseur
    Rimi wrote: »
    -I make my own solution to prevent ingrowns. For me, it's easier to apply than to exfoliate.

can't post something like that without the recipe!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    TRBL wrote: »
    Rimi wrote: »

can't post something like that without the recipe!

Ah! Of course!

11 tbs 70% alcohol
    5 tbs witch hazel or hydrogen peroxide
    26 uncoated aspirin
    1 tbs of glycerine

I just shake it up in a plastic bottle and apply with a cotton ball 1x/day until the hair has grown back in.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file