Some People

pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
Why do people feel the need to tell you how you look? You look tired. Are you tired? Do you have a headache? You look like you're tired. Thanks. Like I really needed you to tell me that I look awful today. I can figure that out on my own when I see the reflection in the mirror. I want a do over today. Feeling - ANNOYED.

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry, I feel you. I generally look tired after work, once I went to the mall where my mom's friend and daughters worked and they looked at me with such pity. It's so annoying. I don't always sleep well and it's normal for me to look tired/sick sometimes. It's only women that have done it with me.

Many times it's just out of concern but yes even then it's annoying. I try to avoid people and eye contact when I'm having one of those days.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
    Josephine wrote: »

Many times it's just out of concern but yes even then it's annoying. I try to avoid people and eye contact when I'm having one of those days.

Thank you for the reminder, Josephine. At that moment I wasn't even seeing that it could be of concern. He just kept saying that I looked tired even after I said I'm fine, thanks. But you are so right.
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I have bags under my eyes and I hear "you look tired" all the time. I know people don't really mean anything about it but it is annoying.
  • SundialSundial Registered Users Posts: 72
    Agreed - I am never sure what the appropriate (or expected) response to that is.
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    Josephine wrote: »
    Sorry, I feel you. I generally look tired after work, once I went to the mall where my mom's friend and daughters worked and they looked at me with such pity. It's so annoying. I don't always sleep well and it's normal for me to look tired/sick sometimes. It's only women that have done it with me.

Ditto! I try to avoid people and eye contact as much as possible when I'm having one of those days. That way, by default, I don't inadvertently put my foot in my mouth!
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I saw this lady on Dr. Oz. She had what is known as "festoons" which are bulges under the eyes which can look like a "line" at the top of the cheek on some people. She was always told by people that she "looked tired" before she got her surgery.

festoon_before_after_002.jpg
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    I'm going to get that surgery as soon as I get another job. I'm tired of looking tired. ;)
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    I don't mind tired that much. I get that after a 12 hour shift. You look tired!! I've been up since 4:30-5am or just worked all night. I am tired. It's usually an exhausted look in the eyes with me and crazy hair because I've been trapped in a chair forever. I'll look refreshed the next morning (depending on how I sleep) and start all over again.

What I can't stand is "you look like hell!!" Or crap or terrible. A girl I did not like screamed that in my face, in the middle of a store years ago. I had been home for a little over 2 weeks with pneumonia and strep. It was the first day I felt like getting out of the house for a few min. I looked at her and said the same thing I say to anyone in that situation... At least I have an excuse.

(One of my friends developed swelling under her eyes like the above pic in her late 20s. Genetic + clinicals and 12 to 14 hour shifts starting at 19, which usually caused more fluid under the eyes for a few hours. She talked about getting surgery for awhile and then said forget it. Her younger sister is the only one in her family who managed to avoid them.)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pinksugarpinksugar Registered Users Posts: 2,346 Curl Connoisseur
    I wouldn't mind it after work either. I'm usually tired and ready to go home by then. I was a couple hours into my work day when he repeatedly told me that I looked tired. Maybe I was just being sensitive that day.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Yeah, sometimes it's just plain annoying, I agree. My grandma would always say everyone looked tired, but I think she was tired herself (dementia was setting in). Sometimes it's a reflection of what people can be feeling themselves, and other times it's just downright rude and people don't know how to relate.

Although it's a horrible joke, sometimes I'm tempted to say stuff like, "Yes, I look tired because I was just diagnosed with cancer." I think that might make them think twice next time. Like I said... awful joke. My apologies in advance. lol
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    ****, sometimes I AM tired. Thank you for noticing. Now let me rest. Do some of my chores. LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file