Help me decide

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
Ok, I know we go thru this every summer but bear w/ me. Which color should I get?

I already have tall black lace-up boots. Already have tall nonlace-up boots in black and dark cognac (btwn the first two colors here). These would not be for just jeans; I would wear them w/ skirts and some dresses, too. I wear black and gray and olive a lot. Some navy.

I am leaning toward the banana bc...how fun, yellow boots! But are they impractical? Where is the other Frye fan? (What is her name? She recently broke her foot...)

1481938-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

1481937-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

1481936-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Based on my gut feeling, I love the last pair (the banana pair) just for a funky look, but if I were going to be practical and get the one I'd wear the most, it would be the top pair. However, you already have dark boots, so going for the yellow might make sense.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Why are you getting boots in the summer? Are they cheaper now to get?
  • scrillsscrills Registered Users Posts: 6,700
    I like the middle color
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Josephine wrote: »
    Why are you getting boots in the summer? Are they cheaper now to get?

No, not cheaper. Just excited. Want to make sure I get them in time for the first chilly day. Don't want to risk them selling out in my size/color and give myself time to reassess if I don't like the look/fit when they arrive. (I don't play around w/ my footwear!)
  • sew and sewsew and sew Registered Users Posts: 3,443
    Your wardrobe sounds pretty neutral so while the banana wouldn't be quite as versatile as the other shades, it sounds like you could make them work more often than naught.

I personally didn't like Banana at first until I image googled 'Frye banana boots' and 'Frye yellow boots' and actually seeing them on people (though couldn't find this lace-up boot in particular) made them grow on me.

I think they reminded me of work/timberland boots at first, and when they were super trendy years back. When my brain sees these outside of that association, I kind of dig them.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    Love the second!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Banned Users Posts: 1,099 Curl Neophyte
    I like the top color best but they are all super cute. Let us know what you decided. :)
    So I bought the yellow ones. I just couldn't resist. The color is really nice but I would love it if it was a ~smidge~ darker bc I want to wear them to work & I don't want that Timberland look. On the reviews, someone wrote that she had put shoe polish on them & to her pleasant surprise, they turned slightly darker & she liked them even more.

But she didn't mention which shoe polish she used.

I notice that Amazon sells a leather weatherproofing spray made by Frye (who also makes these boots) & ppl were saying in reviews of the spray that it turned their Frye boots & shoes a darker shade but the coverage was uneven & splotchy. Someone else said in the reviews that Frye no longer makes that spray...bc it sucks, apparently.

So I checked Frye's site & it doesn't. But it does make a cream leather protectant. No one said it darkened their leather, tho.

So my question is, does anyone know of a good quality leather spray or cream or polish that will slightly darken the color of leather but will do so evenly?

I am definitely getting a leather protectant for these boots. But if I can get one that will darken them slightly, all the better.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Registered Users Posts: 15,490 Curl Neophyte
    Good choice! Banana is the ticket.

I love Frye. They saved my life after my foot surgeries.

(I do not know of a good protectant but I would not touch them, as far as making them darker goes. You can make them work with several things. Just throw the show color has to be darker rule out the window).
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DedachanDedachan Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Curl Neophyte
    I was going to say I'd go for the last one if it were darker because I have an obsession for mustard yellow, but out of the three the caramel one is my favourite. Doesn't really matter though, they all look great.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I love all your 'fashion' threads but missed this one! I'm usually a fan of darker colored boots and wouldn't buy the yellow for myself but they are a fun color! I have a pair of tan Frye harness boots and every time I wear them I use mink oil on them to darken them a couple shades.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Dedachan wrote: »
    I was going to say I'd go for the last one if it were darker because I have an obsession for mustard yellow, but out of the three the caramel one is my favourite. Doesn't really matter though, they all look great.

Yea I like the top ones the most to be conservative but the yellow a little darker is fun. I bought some wedges in a mustard yellow color and I wear them more often than I thought I would. It goes with a lot and I also wear a lot of neutral colors(gray/black/dark blue) and denim so yellow can go.
    I used the Frye weatherproofing oil on them and they darkened a teeny tiny bit. So it's all good I guess. I wish I would have thought of mink oil...sigh...

It's not that I don't like dark boots; I just already have a few pairs of black and brown.
    (I really love the honey/cognac ones, tho. And I guess a couple of yrs ago they were available in olive green.:wave:)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    ^ Oh olive green would be right up my alley.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Here they are in olive, jeepy. (Why, why, why don't they makes these anymore???)
    green-frye-boots-black-dries-van-noten-skirt-green-free-people-cardigan-gr_400.jpg

And here in cognac. (maybe next year...sigh...)
    frye1resized.jpg

Miley Cyrus wears her (shorter) black ones everywhere.
    miley-cyrus-gallery.jpg?1357417095
    I love that whole outfit with the olive boots!
    So I bought the yellow ones last fall and I just can't get them to grow on me. I will have to sell them used or consign. What a waste of money!!! I hate when this happens. What was I thinking???
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Spider, you can probably take them to a cobbler and have them dyed a different color if they fit well and work otherwise. I doubt it would be too expensive.

Please don't beat yourself up! We learn about ourselves from our mistakes just as much as from our successes. We just have to try stuff and see what happens. It's also possible that this might have wound up being a really great purchase for you; there was no way to know but to try.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    What is wrong with the yellows? Are you having trouble finding outfits to wear with them? I would think anything grey or blue would go.

I agree with Therese1 - don't beat yourself up about them. I once bought a couch by looking at fabric swatches and almost passed out when I saw the entire couch. Had to give it away and start again. We all make mistakes.

I think olive green would be gorgeous. Can they be dyed as someone else suggested?
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    What's wrong with the yellow, is it a different shade than you expected? I think I would like them a bit darker than in the picture. How do they feel comfort wise? Asking because I'm also looking for comfortable boots..are they heavy? I bought Sorels wedge boots earlier this year and they were just too heavy to be comfy for too much walking. I was pretty disappointed but they are cute and okay to wear as regular heels..good for cabbing and looking pretty.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    What is wrong with the yellows? Are you having trouble finding outfits to wear with them? I would think anything grey or blue would go.

I agree with Therese1 - don't beat yourself up about them. I once bought a couch by looking at fabric swatches and almost passed out when I saw the entire couch. Had to give it away and start again. We all make mistakes.

I think olive green would be gorgeous. Can they be dyed as someone else suggested?

You gave away a brand new couch???

IDK if they can be dyed. I treated them w/ a leather protector so maybe the leather is even less porous now?:sleepy3:

I wear black and gray almost...always. The yellow just looks so weird to me, esp w/ pants tucked in or folded up. If I wear my pant legs covering the boot, then it feels like I'm defeating the purpose of having bought a lace-up boot. And they look ridiculous w/ any kind of skirt or culottes.

I was trying to channel these women from the 70s but was not terribly successful. (My boots are the same style and brand but the updated lace-up version)

882168af0d7f1da059b98cef40d80dcd.jpg

af0bbfe3976080072daa2fbfc8bb1c8c.jpg

Josephine - No, not a different color than what I expected. I guess I just liked them "in theory" but not for real world application. They are comfy but very clunky. Very well made. Would last forever.

But now I want these. (Help!?)

womens-taos-crave-red-444431_450_45.jpg
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I did give away a brand new couch. I swear it hurt my eyes to look at it. I gave it to someone who really couldn't afford anything like that. He worked as a part-time janitor in my building. He was very grateful and I felt good about that aspect of it.

Giving it away was one of the absolutely craziest things I've ever done - and I've done some real lulus. So don't feel badly about the mistake with the boots. You live long enough - you make some doozies! Just "chalk it up" as the saying goes.

On second thought, don't dye the yellows. It probably would be a disaster. Just give them away or sell/consign them, treat yourself to a different color pair of boots and consider it just a bump on the road to a fabulous wardrobe. :icescream:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • GuardianBGuardianB Registered Users Posts: 1,905 Curl Connoisseur
    Just be confident with them spider. The color is very bold and makes a statement but with denim and blacks and grays - yellow works. Splash some gold accoutrement around your neck with either jewelry or scarfs going into the fall and your boots won't be the center of attention as you review your own wardrobe but a piece of a greater fashion. I like the color. The middle one may have been "safer" but the yellow is cool. Be cool.
    ~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
    GuardianB wrote: »
    Just be confident with them spider. The color is very bold and makes a statement but with denim and blacks and grays - yellow works. Splash some gold accoutrement around your neck with either jewelry or scarfs going into the fall and your boots won't be the center of attention as you review your own wardrobe but a piece of a greater fashion. I like the color. The middle one may have been "safer" but the yellow is cool. Be cool.

Thanks, but they are on their way to the post office in the next hour or so. I just can't be bothered anymore and I sold them (at a great loss) on ebay. They retailed for almost $400 and I sold them for $130, barely worn at all. :angry7:

Honestly, I was thinking of giving them to this homeless woman who panhandles by my job. She has admired them and a few other shoes I wear. She has asked me (repeatedly) where I got them and if I can write the phone number down for her :tongue5: . But she is really, really, really MI. So I'm not sure if that would be the best way for me to free myself of these boots. :-?

But I am about to do a complete shoe/boot purge (due to comfort and other issues) and I may gift her some other shoes or boots I have, if we are the same size.

Thinking of the thread about decluttering, I need to just start cutting my losses and not be afraid to dispose of things that no longer make me happy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file