Can I stop declaring "natural" now?

anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Banned Users Posts: 271
I was just wondering if anyone feels the same way:

Can I just say that I have curly, kinky, coily, or nappy hair?
Do white/ hispanic/ asian women and men go around stating that they have natural hair?

Comments

• eche428eche428 Registered Users Posts: 2,782 Curl Neophyte
    I'm white and I say natural because I get so much flack for having wavy/curly hair. My hair didn't change until I turned 45 (hormones) so everyone knows me with stick straight hair. Now when I run into people I've not seen for a long time or when I was straightening it this winter for work) they think I'm using a curling iron. I usually say "it's naturally curly" because for some odd reason I don't want them thinking I'm faking curls. I know that sounds weird.

Edit: Oh, forgot to add, I think you should say what ever you want to about your hair. If you prefer one term over the other that's your choice!
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
    I think for black women,it has more of a revolutionary meaning than if other races went around saying it. We and our people were raised other institutional racism and also taught to hate our hair and ancestry. The natural hair movement is more than just hair for black women because we were made to feel that our hair, our features ,our ancestry were less than.

Of course other races have natural hair, but natural to us wouldn't mean the same as so many of us have not been taught to love and accept our hair. It's sad as many black women don't grow up even wearing their natural hair or learning how to care for it without heat and end up getting a relaxer or began seeing weave and extensions as a necessity to being beautiful.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    It's your choice but I don't think saying curly coily is always one in the same as natural because not all coily curly is natural. I have been chemical free for going on 8 years and especially early on people would ask me if I had a texturizer or ask what did I "do" to make my hair curl. Some people are ignorant to the fact black people who are not biracial can have curly hair. So I was having to explain that this is how my hair grows out of my head. I am "natural".

I agree with Afromuffin that the term natural takes on a different vibe for those with subsaharan African ancestry ( which some hispanics have). I think others may be pressure to flat iron or blowout but their mothers aren't slapping chemicals in their hair before they learn their ABCs. And you don't see as many white women who have no idea what their natural texture looks like with black women.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • anonymous_153995anonymous_153995 Banned Users Posts: 271
    Afromuffin wrote: »
    I think for black women,it has more of a revolutionary meaning than if other races went around saying it. We and our people were raised other institutional racism and also taught to hate our hair and ancestry. The natural hair movement is more than just hair for black women because we were made to feel that our hair, our features ,our ancestry were less than.

Of course other races have natural hair, but natural to us wouldn't mean the same as so many of us have not been taught to love and accept our hair. It's sad as many black women don't grow up even wearing their natural hair or learning how to care for it without heat and end up getting a relaxer or began seeing weave and extensions as a necessity to being beautiful.

so true! its sad and actually really really scary. Whats frightening is that some are still very much in denial about the brainwashing and self hate. They are bitter with the whole "natural" movement and they hold on that much tighter to the ways they are used to (relaxers, weaves etc).

I still cannot believe that once upon a time I was ashamed of my nappyness...smh!
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405
    Banafrit wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone feels the same way:

Can I just say that I have curly, kinky, coily, or nappy hair?
    Do white/ hispanic/ asian women and men go around stating that they have natural hair?

On here, I say I have 4c hair, but in life, I just say hair. Hair, and that's it. Plain and simple. That's how all the other races of women I've encountered describe their hair in my part of town... :happy7:
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file