How long can you go without washing hair?

Im trying the CG method.
My hair is pretty dry, and I don't want to wash/condition my hair too often, but second day hair doesn't really work on me. How long before my hair 'adjusts'? And how long should I aim to go between cleansing?

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not everyone can do second day hair. There are lots of ladies here who will at least re-wet and condition daily. When I'm at my normal activity level (recovering from back surgery now), my roots get too gross from sweat to not cleanse daily. I just use the most gentle cleanser I can get away with, which is usually a cleansing conditioner like Deva No-Poo or Curl Junkie Daily Fix.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • ashleysummerashleysummer Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    3 days term was my maximum
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    If I have my hair in a pony or braid I can go days and days without washing it. My hair doesn't get greasy or gross.
    But if I want to wear it down I need to wash or wet it every day.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If I want to wear it down I have to wash everyday or every other day. If I'm wearing it up, I can go 2-3 days; my scalp gets mad itchy & starts to smell bad after that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using CurlTalk App

• curlbeautydiarycurlbeautydiary Posts: 17Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have to either re wet my hair or do the super soaker method on day 2. Even spritzing isn't very helpful for me - it makes my hair frizzy.:cry:
    Indian curly hair blogger@ curlsandbeautydiary.com
    2c/3a
    Cowash /Conditioner: Enliven & Revlon Flex condish
    Moisturiser: Coconut oil, SheaMoisture Reconstructive Elixir
    Styling: FSG, Devacurl Ultra defining gel
    Protein: Gelatin
  • MsFinesseMsFinesse Posts: 14Registered Users
    I never go past 10 days regardless of style. I do GHE/Baggy method so its the only reason I can go that long. Modified CG, so without first two, I go 2-3days. It's hot here and I sweat daily, I literally just look at my hair and tell me what it needs. Drinking and moisturizing with water is a big part of any regimen to balance healthy hair.
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It will definitely depend on your hair how long you can go in between washing. If my scalp is feeling nasty, I'll wash. If it's just that my style doesn't look good, I'll style it in another way until it needs to be washed. Some of my most random dirty-hair styles have gotten the most compliments.

The longest I can go without washing my hair is a month. Don't judge. Week 1-twists, week 2-twists updo, week 3-twistout, week 4-twistout updo. I usually wash my hair every 7 days when I wear a wash and go. I don't break the gel cast but instead let it soften. It's usually off by day 3 and my hair is pretty set for the rest of the week.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    4 days typically. 5 days maximum. At the 5-day point, my hair isn't greasy or gross. It just loses its definition and starts looking frizzy/fluffy.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kayla, that's awesome that you can go that long! It's a time saver and if I ever had kids that would probably be the most I could get away with washing mine. The longest I can get away with is 5 days, and every now and then a week. But it looks the best the first 3 days if I am lucky. Since I have short pieces that squish when I sleep I also often cheat and pin curl them on 2nd+ day hair because I don't have time to rewet and hand diffuse each clump.

CatitudeBoo, I have the same situation. My hair gets dry and loses definition and the curls just don't look as nice anymore.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The average ammt of days that I can go between washing is 4-5 days, but I normally do it every 2-3 . If I go any longer than 5 days though, my scalp and hair feel SO greasy and I know my head probably smells gross, plus it itches a lot when I wait that long.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    3 days. If not my hair is dry and my scalp is unhappy. Even when I was relaxed I washed twice a week. It sucked trying to keep hair straight when you need to wash a lot.
    Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • maryware77maryware77 Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Im trying the CG method.
    My hair is pretty dry, and I don't want to wash/condition my hair too often, but second day hair doesn't really work on me. How long before my hair 'adjusts'? And how long should I aim to go between cleansing?
    Hi!
    It really depends on the hair type like if your hair type is oily then you must wash your hair every 2nd day and if your hair are dry then you can wash them between 3-5 days. But for dry hair type sometimes you need to put on hair conditioner or serum to give them a smooth and shiny look.
  • SarahDunlopSarahDunlop Posts: 2Registered Users
    A gap of minimum 4 days is required and an ideal one too!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file