Why technique is important

When I started my curly hair journey, I heard several times "Don't run your hands through your hair when you get out of the shower!" So I smoothed my products in. I just recently discovered that raking works WAYYYYYY better than smoothing (for me). Smoothing doesn't distribute my products well enough- some places will have a ton of leave-in/gel, some will have none at all. Also, my clumps are HUGE when I smooth. It's like, I only have 6 or so curls around my head! :laughing6: I much prefer raking, so I can break them up.
My hair has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since I started raking. (Well, not the HEALTH of it of course, but how it looks). So that's why I wanted to make this post. Technique is just as important as the products you use! So find out what works for you :D
:love2: Curly Teen :love2:
CG since 5/2/14
3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
~SheaMoisture Shampoos
~Suave Essentials Conditioners
~Kinky Curly Knot Today
~L.A. Looks Sport Gel

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree. Raking works way better because you're getting the product into the hair. "Smoothing" only puts the product on the very surface of the hair; the underneath side will not get the product. I only "smooth" products I want on the surface; because I'm a 2c my top layer tends to need a bit more help than my under layer. But I rake most things into my hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    Yup!!! Raking for me, too! Smoothing makes it flat and frizzy.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been experimenting with this too lately. Though raking did give my hair a bit of the ramen noodle effect. Super Soaker would add too much weight to my hair I think. It's tricky, as I need product distributed throughout my hair, but only minute amounts of it, as I get easily weighed down. The heaviest hand is best left to scrunching in at the ends. One interesting thing is I thought smoothing things in would pull out curl, but I've learned that if I do smooth those strands straight, they'll curl back up wight he right products/technique. It's interesting how technique evolves as time goes by. I still haven't figured out my hair though. It's a journey...

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I rake things in these days, I need to do it to distribute products properly but then it leaves my curls very messy and stringy, so I have to then kind of smooth things out again with wet hands.
    3b in South Australia.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So here's a question. When you rake do you just take from the outside in or do you section and start underneath with application and work inside out?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I also have recently switched to raking. I just had always assumed my curls would never come back after raking them board straight. They do. So I try to tenderly rake, dropping wet. I need to look up a raking technique video, definitely, to make sure I'm doing it right.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    So here's a question. When you rake do you just take from the outside in or do you section and start underneath with application and work inside out?

I section my hair into pretty small sections, and I rake from the outside in :)
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Novice
    Same here!
    I thought that as a wavy who used to think she had straight hair because all the combing made it go POOF, I would lose all my curls and end up with that poof. Or super stringy curls. It does look stringy when wet but my hair loves to clump up when it dries so I end up with the desired sized clumps. Also I have a ton of hair so scrunching always makes me miss spots. Raking gives me curlier and more uniform hair.
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Starmie wrote: »
    I rake things in these days, I need to do it to distribute products properly but then it leaves my curls very messy and stringy, so I have to then kind of smooth things out again with wet hands.

Iiiinteresting. Smoothing with wet hands that is. I tried adding extra leave in to make it reclump but it was too greasy. But wetting the hands (as opposed to super soaker) seems a gentle way to make hair reclump. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll be trying this for sure!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Strangely I have thought raking too. I guess it's the raking period but I fear I will end with straight stuck hair hmmmm.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I rake mine through because my hair is so thick that if I don't, the under layers will be frizzy.

I would like to find a way that distributes the product but gives me more clumping, though. My hair is so dense that with raking I get more volume than I'd like, but I'm afraid to do it any other way and risk not distributing it properly...
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    One thing I do not do, however, is the shake part of rake n shake. I watched some videos today and the rake and shake looked amazing for the girls in the vids. They had enough curl that their curls came immediately back after raking, and shaking helped to separate the perfect curls into clumps. So, until have I perfect curls, no shaking for me.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    chupie wrote: »

I just rub whatever I'm using between my hands, smooth it all over and then rake from the outside in. I've never sectioned my hair (sadly don't have enough of it to need to).
    3b in South Australia.
    naturecat wrote: »
    Starmie wrote: »

Iiiinteresting. Smoothing with wet hands that is. I tried adding extra leave in to make it reclump but it was too greasy. But wetting the hands (as opposed to super soaker) seems a gentle way to make hair reclump. Thanks for the suggestion; I'll be trying this for sure!

I tried the super soaker and, while it worked quite well for me, I found it a bit too much trouble as I'm really quite lazy! I also can't have too much clumping going on as my hair's too thin, so just using wet hands seemed like a good middle road to take and it works well for me. Good luck with it.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file