Deep conditioner or moisturizer for fine, thin hair?

wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Posts: 48Registered Users
Any recommendations? My hair is dry and color damaged but fine and thin too. My mom had thin straight hair and my dad had thick curly hair, so I got some hybrid of that lol. I'm looking for a good moisturizing treatment that will help my damaged hair without weighing it down. Thanks!
2B,2C with some 3A curls
Shoulder-length
Fine, Thin
Medium porosity
Color-treated

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't DC often, but when I do I've used the Aubrey Organics blue green hair mask (or something like that). It's expensive though. I try to use it on wet hair to make it last longer. Coconut oil as a pre poo overnight can be useful (for me I need to use it in minute amounts). If you're medium porosity, and you're rinsing this out, you can get away with a lot I think. As long as it rinses out it won't weigh your hair down as much (and if it did you could lo poo it out). Also I've used my homemade concoction of irish moss as a DC. That stuff works brilliantly! It has some protein in it I think, so definitely doesn't weigh down hair. And it isn't expensive. There are many different ways to use irish moss (powder form, dried plant pieces, or the actual seaweed). In the past I also used homemade coconut milk. It's conditioning, but also heavy and I definitely needed to shampoo it out.
    Also, as a leave in for my hair, I love Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment and also Cailtlin's Conditioner. I use them in minute amounts, and they both have protein which helps counteract the weight. Spiral Solutions just closed but may reopen in the future, so you can be on the lookout for it. My hair is much like yours; fine, thin, and varying porosity (medium high on length; lower on roots).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Posts: 48Registered Users
    Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll give the coconut oil a try. I've never heard of Irish moss, what is that and where do you get it?
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Irish moss can be gotten at a variety of places. I believe I got mine from Mountain Rose Herbs. Irish moss is seaweed basically. My favorite I think was the powder (though it's messy). I boiled some in water, then put the mixture on my hair for an hair and my curls just popped. Sometimes I let the powder sit in cheesecloth overnight in water so I didn't have to sift it out, and poured it on my head as a leave in. It helped with clumping. I also have some dried irish moss pieces, which I let soak and boil in water, then sift easily. I use that water for leave in or in homemade products and it's wonderfully moisturizing without weighing down the hair.
    Coconut oil is very heavy and tricky. Some peoples' hair doesn't tolerate it well at all. So, with fine hair, I'd recommend using only the tiniest amount, mixed with water left in your hair overnight, to be shampoo'd out the following morning.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    I 2nd the coconut oil, although I use a ton, probably 1/4 cup or more through all of my hair and rubbed well into my scalp, with biolage deep conditioning balm (or GVP) mostly midshaft to my ends. I leave mine in for around 5 hours (usually on the weekend) and wash it out with sulfate free shampoo, twice to make sure it's all out.

Washing twice and for a good long while will ensure it's all gone and won't weigh my hair down. That second time I do half shampoo and half conditioner, sometimes I use this time to clarify and use a little regular sulfate shampoo. After rinsing I condition as normal.

I do this every 2 weeks or so and my hair is always shiny, soft, and amazing afterwards.
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
    Co: Suave Coconut
    Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
    Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
    DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've been using Novex Brazilian Keratin for deep conditioning. My hair adores protein, and keratin is its favorite. It's available through Sally's (I ordered it online as my small store doesn't carry it) and it's also on Amazon. You get alot for the price, which makes it very economical. I suspect the jar I bought will last me at least a year! I used to use the Generic Value Product knockoff of Joico's K-pak. The Novex works equally as good for me...thank goodness, as they've discontinued it.
  • wavycurlymesswavycurlymess Posts: 48Registered Users
    Thanks for all of your great info! I will have to see what's available at my local stores ... I think we have a Sally's nearby, but I did see a lot of good names at big lots surprisingly ... Are those legitimately the products they claim to be??? If so, might be my go to place!
    2B,2C with some 3A curls
    Shoulder-length
    Fine, Thin
    Medium porosity
    Color-treated
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I normally wouldn't recommend such rich products...buuuut, Sheamoisture JBCO Masque is quite light versus other dc's from the brand. It has decent protein as well (so if your not looking for that, skip it), but it feels luxurious on my hair!!

3B, Fine, Med D, Normal P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: Giovanni 50/50
    LI: DevaOneC/KCKT/SM Detangler
    Styler: SM Smoothie
    DC: SM JBCO/Manuka Masque
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file