Fave Leave-In?

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I keep going back and forth between my Eden Bodyworks and my Miss Jessie's Leave-In Condish. I haven't used the latter in a while, but the former doesn't make me perfectly happy either.

I'm trying to find something that will be moisturizing and give definition as well, and I decided to come here and see what you guys use for these attributes after browsing the products and reviews and not really feeling like I have gotten any closer to finding something.

The Eden Bodyworks smells great, is paraben/sulfate/silicone free (etc.) so it's definitely CG friendly, and usually sells for about $8 near where I live. My only issue is that it does not give me any definition. And for me, definition is a must. That led me to Miss Jessie's Leave-In Condish. It runs for about $11 near me, so not too pricey, and I get fabulous definition. Unfortunately, it smells like detergent - and very strongly so. And I don't feel confident that is CG friendly at all.

I have tried using both, but it makes my hair crunchy and flaky (either when mixing the two in my hand, or applying separately). No good. I have also noticed that when I use Miss Jessie's, my curls pop, but they are also dry. When I use Eden Bodyworks, my curls are soft and smell nice, but fall flat. So clearly neither are really what I need. And I have tried different styling and application methods, and it seems that it isn't a problem of how I apply it, just the products.

So I want to know what you guys use! What gives you good definition, but also leaves your hair feeling moisturized? I'm running out of my Eden Bodyworks, and I'm trying to sell/swap the Leave-In Condish, so it's nearly time to go shopping, and I'd love a few ideas of what to give a try! :)
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I like CJ Argan & Olive Oil and Yes to Cucumbers
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CJ smoothing lotion
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCKT, Andalou naturals, briogeo leave in, Marie Dean, As I am and EMBC conditioner. :)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCKT, Andalou naturals, briogeo leave in, Marie Dean, As I am and EMBC conditioner. :)

Ooh, the Andalou Naturals was my winter leave in. It's not mentioned as often on this site, so nice to find a fellow Andalou LI user.

I'm not a 3 (not consistently anyway), but my current favs are SS PT and SS CC. I imagine that other curlies with very fine and easily weighed down hair would like these, as they have a fair bit of protein (esp the PT) to help counteract the weight of using a LI.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So many choices! I'm going to start looking some of these up.

Basically what I want is definition, but I do need something moisturizing and something with a *little* weight to it. I seem to have an issue with finding leave-ins that are either too heavy for my hair (I feel like Eden Bodyworks fits in this category) or too light (Herbal Essences, TreSemme, etc.).
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• CurlySiaCurlySia Posts: 164Registered Users
    I recently got Darcy's Botanical's Curling Cream Gel and am surprised by how well that performed. I agree with Briogeo's leave-in, too!
    4a / 3c fine texture, low and normal porosity
    washing/cowashing, conditioning: devacurl decadence one condition, hair rules quench, as i am coconut cowash, curl junkie daily fix, curl rehab
    leave in: curl junkie smoothing lotion, hawaiian silky 14 in 1, hair rules quench, as i am, camille rose fresh curl
    styling: hair rules curly whip, camille rose curl maker
    sealants: oil rinse with Africa's Best Herbal Oil, Soultanicals Knot Dressing, bekura palm tapioca or jane carter nourish & shine
  • ginabean98ginabean98 Posts: 197Registered Users
    Yes To Carrots conditioner (though I have the bottle before it was reformulated with glycerin.) Also experimenting with Suave Naturals, but that's probably too light for you. The Yes To is lightweight but still moisturizing, if that makes sense?
    2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
    :sunny:
    GOD really loves you. ∞
    HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
    *I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
    I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
    :cat:
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil leave in and as I am :) I also love the yes to coconuts and kinky curly knot today ❤️
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Diy Chamomile tea spray leave in with lemon juice and rice water

~Jenae 3b/C/iii Blog: http://countrycurl.blogspot.com/ (Sent from CurlTalk App)
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love deva OneC...and find yes to products similar. BUT,ihatethesmell!! Is coconuts better?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • sloka25sloka25 Posts: 78Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie (Since you're looking for a styler + moisturizer to add some weight to your hair)
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you all for the suggestions!

This post is actually super old, and I've since found something, but these were all great ideas! :love4:

I'm currently using the Deva Decadence line, as I am pretty big on minimalism, and have found that the conditioner doubles as a great leave-in as well!

(Which is great because as a college student buying less IS more :laughing9:)

But thank you all a ton!

• curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I get good definition, without being weighed down or frizzy, with Aussie Moist conditioner :)

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Posts: 334Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oops! I just saw that you don't even need advice anymore lol

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • GroovyEyeGroovyEye Posts: 52Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been swearing by Giovanni Direct Leave In Conditioner for over 5 years now. It is amazing and all natural! I really want to try Eden Bodyworks' coconut shea one though, because I started using their styling cream and my hair loves it!
    * 3B curls, thick/coarse, low porosity, and high density *
    Co-wash: Garnier Triple Nutrition or Herbal Essence Color Me Happy or Herbal Essence Hydralicious Self-Targeting or Suave Professionals Almond & Shea Butter - Detangler: The Wet Brush - Leave-in: Giovanni Direct - Styling cream: Eden Bodyworks Coconut All Natural Curl Defining Cream - Styling gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious - Extra shine: The Body Shop Beautifying Oil in Mango or Coconut - Color: Pravana Vivids in Too Cute Coral

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cj curl rehab. i see this is an older thread,but i couldn't resist! :-)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes rbb! Yes! CJCR is amazing!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • CuriousAquariusCuriousAquarius Posts: 41Registered Users
    Shea moisuture's yucca and plantain strenghtening milk and I also relly like CurlJunkie Curl Assurance
    Products I use:
    Shampoo: SM JBCO shampoo/ ACV rinses
    Cowash: Taliah Waajad Creamy Cowash
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50/ Giovanni Tea Tree
    Leave-in: CJ Curl Assurance/ SM Strengthening Milk
    Deep conditioner: EVA Nye/ ORS Hair Mayo
    Oils: Apricot oil/ Avocado oil/ Coconut oil

Current (working on) Regimen:
    ACV rinses once a month
    SLS shampoo and deep condition once a week
    Protein treatment: 2x a month
    Cowash midweek
    Leave-in + oil everyday
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I discovered that the Deva Decadence conditioner is a great leave in. I thought it would be too heavy but at least this spring it is working a real treat. Just right.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Teresa.FrankTeresa.Frank Posts: 1Registered Users
    I've been using Paul Mitchel leave in for probably 20 years on My 3b-c low porosity hair for probably 20 years, I try other things but I always come back to it. It's pretty much perfect.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file