Introduction of Myself.....Hi!

KurlyKween1KurlyKween1 Registered Users Posts: 2
Hey Everyone! My name is Selena and I'm a type 4 hair newbie. So far I'm really enjoying this app, since the CurlyNikki app no longer works for whatever reason. Any who- I'm looking for lots of advice and hair care tips all around since my daughters all have type 3A/B hair. I've been natural since 2013 and thought my hair would grow like crazy, but to my surprise its growing at a slower rate and is currently shoulder length. I have a goal of bra strap or mid back by June of next year, so Im gonna need help. Im motivated and ready to go full speed in this journey. Tips on vitamins, products and a positive attitude is what im looking for. A lil gossip doesn't hurt either. Thanks!

Sent from my Z970 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Registered Users Posts: 798
    Welcome!:-)

From your posting, it sounds like you had expected to achieve an abundance of hair growth, after going natural, which you have not seen at this time. Now, just because your hair is not at the actual length that you feel most satisfactory with at this time, may not mean that there's currently anything wrong with your hairs natural growth rate at all. Hair that is in a straight or very loose curl patern will surely show length better and have less shrinkage to it, than hair that is more textured and more prone to shrinkage instead.

Also, please understand, that as hair grows out from ones head, the things that we do to our head is what can either promote to us gaining greater length retention to our hair or happen to work against such instead.

I have been natural for 6 years, and my hair grows at what I consider to be a normal rate. However, my hair has always growed at a normal rate when my hair used to be relaxed too. I don't use any hair growth aids on my scalp at this time. I also don't take any hair growth vitamins or biotin supplements either. The only thing that i take is a daily vitamin, try to eat as healthy as possible, and the only thing that i drink is water, and as much as i can on a daily basis.

And, when it comes to styling my hair, i go for low fuss manipulation styles, such as wash n gos, buns, or ponytails. The only time that i manipulate my hair alot is on my hair wash days. Otherwise, i use my fingers to manipulate my hair with inbetween my hair wash days. Also, the only time that i see the most shedded hairs is on my hair wash days, which is to be expected, since those are the only days upon which my hair gets manipulated the most. And, the amount of shedded hairs that i see on my wash days is what i consider to be of a normal amount. Plus, my detangling tool of choice is my Denman brush. It has worked best than anything else that i have ever used to detangle and smooth out my curls with, and i have no plans to ever replace it with anything else.

i have had my hair cut very short before, a number of times. However, when my hair was cut very shirt, i never really worried about such, because i knew that overtime my hair would start to gain more length to it. Currently, my hair is a little past mid back length, and i get very minimal shrinkage to my curls. I know that if i use hard or maxiumum holding gels on my curls, that's the only time when i get more than usual shrinkage to my curls, as styling products that are drying to my hair, cause my curls to shrink up in a way that i definitely don't like, which is why, i no longer use them on my hair. Instead i like to go with either styling creams or natural based curl defining gels on my hair, that have moisturizing properties to them and that do not leave my hair looking or feel stiff and dried out ever. I also have no problems with using glycerin in my hair, as i find it to be highly moisturizing to my hair, and it has never contributed to my hair feeling dry afterwards, no matter the season.

Overall, i simply stick with being a minamalist with my hair, i engage in many low-fuss easy to manage hairstyles, and i only majorly manipulate my hair is on wash days only. And, in regard to any hair or scalp issues, i choose to see a dermatologist for such. As, i recently was diagnosed with a medically based scalp condition and am currently using prescribed products from my dermatologist to help with treating such. To style my hair with, i have been recently using products from Darcy's Botanicals, which my dermatologist checked out and is totally fine with my continuec use of such natural products. Plus, i recently bought an aloe plant and will be using tne aloe inside of the leaves to my scalp to help with treating it. I have leaarned that 100% pure aloe has a lot of great benefits associated with it, and happens to be great for use on ones scalp and hair especially.

If you desire to try biotin supplements, hair growth oils, or hair growth vitamins, the choice is certainly up to you. i of course don't choose to use such, but if you do choose to go that route to try and get rapid hair growth, then i highly recommend thoroughlu checking out all of the pros and cons associated with each option mentioned, okay.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file