Does Henna = swearing off protein forever?

mediumbrowngirlmediumbrowngirl Registered Users Posts: 3
I use henna and understand that using a protein-free deep conditioner right after a henna treatment is a must. But what about for daily styling? Am I supposed to completely avoid using styling products with protein if I henna my hair?

So far, I've just been using a protein-free leave-in for my WnG, but my inner PJ is crying out for variety.

Thanks in advance for any input! Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere -- I combed through the threads and personally couldn't find info that pertained to daily styling. If it matters, I'm 3c-sh/4a-ish.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    If you're not supposed to use protein after henna, this is the first I've heard of it. I'm a henna/amla user, and I use protein all the time. Henna dries out your hair, so if you haven't added enough moisture to your mix to counteract this (some people use coconut milk for example), you need to DC or just condition like heck afterwards. Once you do that, your hair should be back to normal.
    Henna causes some changes: it lowers porosity, and repeated whole head applications can also loosen curl pattern. Of course color too. Beyond that I haven't noticed any change with respect to product (other than needing to adjust to lower porosity of the hair).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    double post sorry

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I had a brief flirtation with henna earlier this year and did lots (and lots!) of reading before I did it, I don't recall seeing anything about not using protein.
    3b in South Australia.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I use henna once every month to two months and I use protein everyday! AND I have coarse hair.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • mediumbrowngirlmediumbrowngirl Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for your replies ladies!

Interesting... When I first tried henna, I DC'd with my regular conditioner that contained protein and my hair felt so bad, I just buzzed it off and started over.

In my research, I read (mostly on Curly Nikki) that henna mimics a protein treatment and can make your hair feel dry and following-up a deep conditioner that has protein will make your hair can feel even more straw-like. So when I tried henna again, I used a protein-free DC and my hair fine.

Maybe it's just the products that I was using..
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    I have to really minimize protein for about a week after I do my roots with henna. After that, I can use it like I normally do until the next time I use henna.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file