What's your favorite affordable low poo? (need recs)

CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
I usually use the Eversleek, but I'm out of it now. I've used it for a couple of years now, and although I do like it, I'm wondering if I should go with something more gentle. It lathers up quite a bit, making me think it's not so gentle.

My budget is very small. I wouldn't like to spend more than $10 at most. I've been looking at the Giovanni 50/50 balancing shampoo, Yes to Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo, and possibly the SheaMoisture Mango & Carrots kids Shampoo (because it says it's for fine hair, but I'm not sure if it's lighter than their regular product lines).

My hair is on the fine side, gets weighed down easily, high porous on the ends, medium on the roots, it's colored, and prone to frizz (like whoa). I live in a hot high dews climate too, if that helps.

Have any of you tried these? If so what are your thoughts? So far I'm leaning towards the Giovanni. Do you have a favorite I haven't mentioned that's in my price range? Why is it a fav?

Thank you in advance!
2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
Co: Suave Coconut
Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Comments

• CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I like the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo. My scalp breaks out in acne easily, so I like the tea tree, as it helps with the breakouts. Others may like it less, as it has a unique tingling sensation.

I also like The Body Shop Rainforest Balance shampoo. Again, my scalp really likes it. Others prefer some of the other Rainforest shampoos. The Body Shop shampoos come in travel/trial sizes, which is nice if you just want to see how they work for your hair.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    These are right at the edge of your budget ($9.99) but I really do love Shea Moisture shampoos. Often, you can get them on a Buy One Get One at CVS, so if you like them too, that'll help with the price a little.

I have not tried the one you're thinking about getting, but I've tried the Moisture Retention and the Superfruit Complex one. I feel like their shampoos are a great alternative to cowashing because they're very moisturizing and don't strip my hair like other low-poos can do. They have great lather too!

I have hair that's on the coarser side of things so it's difficult for me to say how they would function for someone with finer hair. But, no matter how many other shampoos I've tried, I always end up going back to Shea Moisture.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• Bluritz26Bluritz26 Posts: 21Registered Users
    I like the Giovanni Tea Tree for when my scalp needs some help, and also love the Shea Moisture shampoos bc they are sooo creamy- esp the Superfruit kind. I go back and forth between the two most of the time.

2b/2c/3a
    low porosity/high density/
    Super Frizzy
    Mod-CG
    Wash N Go
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Add me to the SM list. I have yet to try a lo-poo shampoo that leaves my hair as moisturized as the SM's. They may seem expensive (@ around $10), but it takes very little to get the job done. I've tried the Coconut Hibiscus, the Tahitian Noni, the Yucca, and the Jamaicaian Castor Oil. An added plus for me is that all of them make wonderful washes for my face which is prone to eczema.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    When I had hard water Yes To Cucumbers was my go-to shampoo. Now with soft water I really like Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat or Real Purity fragrance free body wash (super gentle!).
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    Add me to the SM list. I have yet to try a lo-poo shampoo that leaves my hair as moisturized as the SM's. They may seem expensive (@ around $10), but it takes very little to get the job done. I've tried the Coconut Hibiscus, the Tahitian Noni, the Yucca, and the Jamaicaian Castor Oil. An added plus for me is that all of them make wonderful washes for my face which is prone to eczema.

Not trying to derail the thread here, but I never thought to use the shampoos as face washes. I'll have to remember to try that as my skin is super sensitive and dry.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Thank you so much for all the help, everyone! I had forgotten The Body Shop had low poo options. I might have to get one of those travel sized bottles. For all the recs with tea tree, I'm not sure about doing anything with that, because I hear it helps with an oily scalp and can be drying and my scalp is already really dry. For example, my hair can go probably 5 days or so without a hint of greasy hair.

I also have a much weaker pattern than a lot of you I think, so I'm a bit worried about the SM products weighing my hair down, except possibly the kid's version, since it says it's for fine hair. Most of the other ones seem to be for thicker curlier hair.

Has anyone tried the kids' one, or has anyone with fine hair and a weaker pattern had success with SM shampoos?

And it is really good to know about the Yes to Cucumbers and hard water! I don't think I have hard water, but if I ever move I will remember that!

Thank you so much again for all the responses!
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Not trying to derail the thread here, but I never thought to use the shampoos as face washes. I'll have to remember to try that as my skin is super sensitive and dry.

African Black Bar Soap is fantastic for the face. I've been using it for a year or so for my face. I use it with my Clarisonic Brush in the morning in the shower. People with acne and sensitive skin SWEAR by this soap. Look at the reviews on it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E0VBDK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used SM thickening shampoo. I don't think it weighs down my hair, though I can't be certain but I don't think I noticed less curl. And I have pretty fine hair with weak curl.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have 2c/3a hair and can't use any of the SM products. I don't know if the kids and baby shampoo are the same or not... bit the baby shampoo was ultra drying due to the low pH of the product. I would check into that before trying the kids shampoo.

I personally don't find the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo to be drying. I don't have greasy hair at all and I love it. It feels great on the scalp and the tea tree can stimulate growth.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Okay sorry for the super late update, but while I was on vacation visiting family I went ahead and got the giovanni tea tree triple treat, since it was under $8 and so many of you recommended it. I've only washed with it twice so far, but yesterday I did a coconut oil treatment, and I wash twice when I do that. It cleaned all the oil out beautifully and didn't dry out my hair at all. So so far so good!

Then Walgreens had to go and do a buy one get one free sale on SheaMoisture, so I went ahead and got the superfruit shampoo as well, which I'll try out after this one.

And now I find out they've come out with a weightless shampoo for fine hair and I wish it was in the drugstore when I was there! It's now being added to my "to try" list.

Thank you everyone for all of your recommendations! They've helped so much!

Mod CG
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm interested to see if you like the Superfruit. I've been using SM's Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo for two years now and adore it, so I've been curious to check out the new line
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • ginabean98ginabean98 Posts: 197Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I have 2c/3a hair and can't use any of the SM products. I don't know if the kids and baby shampoo are the same or not... bit the baby shampoo was ultra drying due to the low pH of the product. I would check into that before trying the kids shampoo.

I personally don't find the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo to be drying. I don't have greasy hair at all and I love it. It feels great on the scalp and the tea tree can stimulate growth.
    Just curious, do u find SM products too heavy for your hair?
    2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
    :sunny:
    GOD really loves you. ∞
    HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
    *I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
    I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
    :cat:
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BeinDeb wrote: »

Baby shampoo just melts makeup right off, but it doesn't hurt the eyes, so it really gets mascara off.....even if it's waterproof!

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • BelleBohemienneBelleBohemienne Posts: 375Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have 2c/3a hair fine hair, but I like the SM line. I can achieve these Shirley Temple like funnel curls when I have a strong hold gel and I plop. I feel like it's almost "cheating" because if I don't plop, my hair is just wavy. Lol!

~Belle Bohemienne
    ~Belle Bohemienne

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    All of the SheaMoisture lines (including the new Fruit Fusion!) are buy one get one 50% of at Ulta. Not sure when the sale ends up now is a good time to try it!
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Trader joe's tea tree tingle! $4
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo or SheaMoisture African Black Soap Shampoo are both really gentle yet cleansing. The SM is REALLY watery which I love because I can easily just get it into my roots instead of getting it on strands of my hair.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    I've just tried Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle the past two times and I really like it. Definitely not as drying/tangle inducing as some others, and leaves hair much more moisturized. And I just found the new SM weightless shampoo at an Ulta today! The other Ulta was all sold out. So I'm stoked to try it. Will post what it works like when I get a chance to try it. Also curious about Giovanni Tea Tree from some of the posts on here. :)

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    My favorite low-poo is Andalou Naturals Age-Defying. My hair is very easily weighed down, and it's hard to find a low-poo that cleanses without stripping but doesn't weigh me down. It's the only low-poo I've used for two years now.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    Ooh, I like Andalou Naturals. I've never tried their shampoo before and my hair also gets easily weighed down. WIll definitely try this in the future.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file