Hair Type Confusion

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I feel like I am constantly having a battle in determining my hair type(s)! Basically my issue is that I have some sections in the front that are clearly 3b: ringlets, small (but not corkscrews or coils), etc. But the rest is looser and only slightly larger. Am I correct in assuming that the rest would classify as 3a, or is it all 3b still? I have updated my profile picture to more accurately reflect how my hair looks as of late, and I believe it fairly shows my hair pattern. The 3b may or may not show sometimes (occasionally some of the top layer that you see with curl into ringlets, though usually the 3b is hidden at the bottom layer by my ears).

This is what has stumped me in determining for certain my hair pattern. Thank you! :)
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would say so, but your pic is blurry. Can you post another one? ☺

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh goodness, it's looking pretty bad today, but this one is clearer!

6ec5add55c1534a0f943e3b91c282de4.jpg
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

Ignoring the millions of split ends (which will be fixed at my DevaCut sometime this week) would anyone else say this is likely 3a?

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    JunyJu wrote: »
    Ignoring the millions of split ends (which will be fixed at my DevaCut sometime this week) would anyone else say this is likely 3a?

I have combo hair. It's 3B with 3A on the top layer. Since going CG, I even found some 3C curls that I never knew were even that tight! I think my hair type is majority 3B and it's starting to show more. I think you're 3A, but I do see some 3B curl formations. When I joined here, I thought that I had to be type or other. I found out from here and through curly bloggers/Vloggers that hair can be multi-typed and have different curl formations.

I can tell you're definitely a 3, though! You look like a 3A -- but depending your routine, you may be a combination like me. I know that since changing my routine that my curls are becoming more 3B all over. I think a lot of curlies fall in a mixed pattern. :)
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Gotcha! I kinda suspected that as well. I know at the very back of my hair underneath I have some 3c, and when I separate my hair for the half-up look, I find a lot of 3b ringlets by my ears and that lower layer (and sometimes right at the front at the sides). That top layer is just what confused me, but it's probably because of the fact that it's a 3a/3b mix. I always figured the mixes would be by layers, but I'm learning! :)

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gotcha! I kinda suspected that as well. I know at the very back of my hair underneath I have some 3c, and when I separate my hair for the half-up look, I find a lot of 3b ringlets by my ears and that lower layer (and sometimes right at the front at the sides). That top layer is just what confused me, but it's probably because of the fact that it's a 3a/3b mix. I always figured the mixes would be by layers, but I'm learning! :)

You honestly sound like my hair twin. LOL! It's funny because your picture reminded me so much of my own hair! :laughing7:

I think that it's also possible to see a change in pattern. I'm seeing more and more 3B curls vs. 3A/3B curls in my head since going CG... but I'm definitely still a curly mix lady. :)

I just bought the "Curly Girl Handbook." A big part of why I think that it is amazing is because it helped me find my 'curl shape' which is a "Corkicelli curl." It explained how the nape of the neck had tighter curls while the rest of the curls can be looser which is exactly how my curls are. The tightest (3C) curls are on my bottom layer near my neck and my loosest curls are on my sides (a 3A/3Bish mixture). The rest of my hair is definitely 3B.

I diffused for the first time in my life today and my entire hair looked 3B which I thought was really interesting though! :D
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
    • KC: KT, CC, CC
    • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
    • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
    • CURLS: Souffle
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I have combo hair. It's 3B with 3A on the top layer. Since going CG, I even found some 3C curls that I never knew were even that tight! I think my hair type is majority 3B and it's starting to show more. I think you're 3A, but I do see some 3B curl formations. When I joined here, I thought that I had to be type or other. I found out from here and through curly bloggers/Vloggers that hair can be multi-typed and have different curl formations.

I can tell you're definitely a 3, though! You look like a 3A -- but depending your routine, you may be a combination like me. I know that since changing my routine that my curls are becoming more 3B all over. I think a lot of curlies fall in a mixed pattern. :)

Yep, I agree with bookgrdngirl. Your hair is a mix of mostly 3a/3b with a dash of 3c!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Definitely! I notice that with certain routines my curls will be looser or tighter. And then some days they just change without warning. Yesterday I noticed they looked like they were practically *all* 3a, but this morning I woke up with them a lot curlier!

And I'm really looking forward to purchasing a diffuser! I want to try it because plopping gives me frizz no matter how I try and do it, and air drying can leave my a hair a little too wet. And if I try and scrunch out the water, my hair starts to frizz from me touching it! (My hair will frizz in a heartbeat, lol!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file