2nd day frizziness!

RachpreachRachpreach Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm still trying to figure out what my hair is missing. I used to be able to get 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th day hair but now after the 2nd night sleeping on it I wake up with a lot more frizz than what I'm used to. I generally restyle my hair by spraying with a water and conditioner mixture and then I diffuse. I then will freshen up with some hair spray. DOESNT WORK ANYMORE!!! I have added protein to my hair using CJ repair me that I used a couple of days ago.
My normal routine is a sulfate free shampoo by Kirklands(from Costco) and conditioner including suave naturals, GVP conditioning balm, and ion intensive repair.
I'm not sure what I need to do to improve the frizziness my hair is experiencing.
I have high porosity due to the bleaching, but each strand is super fine.

Comments

• RachpreachRachpreach Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another pic
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think your hair looks great!

But if you feel like it's not responding the same way it usually does, you may need to clarify. A good clarifying shampoo could help you be able to get back to your usual routine and have it work properly again. Follow with a good deep conditioner.

I think you're right to continue to use protein to repair your hair too. A good ACV rinse could be helpful as well.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
    I am writing back on this post because I am currently having this same problem again. :(
    I still use all the same products and I just clarified my hair with Nuetrogena anit-residue shampoo. It helped a little with the frizz but something still isnt right. Can someone please help!
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If your hair needs a reset, it might need to be chelated. You can use ACV or a chelating shampoo. Also, have there been any changes lately? Has your water quality changed or have you moved somewhere that has water that is harder or softer than what you're used to? If so you might need to change products/routine etc. I think your hair looks really nice too btw.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was going to suggest clarifying also, but it looks like that didn't help. There was recently a thread on the forum about some conditioner ingredients that can build up on hair but not be washed out with a regular clarifying shampoo. Certain ingredients in the shampoo are needed to remove this residue. Here is the thread.

Naturecat has some good points. Sometimes when my hair doesn't respond to anything, I find that my shower head filter needs replacing. Don't know if that's a possibility for you.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BTW, if you need a shampoo that can remove certain ingredients that can build up despite clarifying, KCCC or Giovanni 50/50 have c14-16 olefin sulfonate which can remove the buildup.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If your weather is changing, and you are leaving products that contain humectants (glycerin, propylene glycol, etc.), and your dew points are low, this could become an issue. Isn't for everyone, but I know I suffer from this problem.

There are certain ingredients in some products that give me instant frizz - if you have switched products recently there might be something your hair doesn't agree with.

I second everyone else's thoughts on clarifying and/or chelating, that usually helps me reset things when they get out of hand.

2nd (or 3rd) day frizz is far less of an issue for me since I started smoothing flax seed gel over the frizz and defining the ends with it. It doesn't take much. I'm not sure why this works so well for me, but it has been a life saver and I can get to 3rd day hair with this technique (you have to play with it a bit to find out what works for you, I'm not crazy about 3rd day hair but I am lazy). My waves are stretched out just a little more with each day, but I like that look and it doesn't bug me. It holds up pretty well over the day. I don't rewet my hair - I use the FSG over dry hair that's come out of my overnight ponytail.

Watching that frizz melt away is pretty impressive. My FSG is a really basic recipe (1/4c. flax seeds to 2 c. water) and I do add in gelatin for a boost of protein, my hair just loves that stuff. Might be worth a try.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    I havent had any changes to my hair or enviroment really, except that I have gradually lightened my hair more than what my profile pic shows. Ill post a new pic. What does KCCC stand for?

When I look at my individual hair strands, each hair is so so so thin, so from reading what Ive read, I think my hair likes lots of protein...?? and moisture?

As far as clarifying, I did clarify already but I can still try a ACV rinse. Could I do a deep conditioner treatment after I did that?
    Well it wont let me upload a picture. I clicked on manage attachments and it opened a blank window. :angry7:
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thin individual strands = fine texture = generally likes protein. Winter weather though, means you'll need some moisture as well to maintain curl in the dry air.

KCCC = Kinky Curly Come Clean, in this case. It can also stand for Kinky Curly Curling Custard, a styler.

Yes, you can dt after an ACV rinse. Consider one with some protein, unless your hair is already dry (needs moisture).

Sent from my SGH-T599 using CurlTalk App
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I second Geek Chic's caution about protein. I found that in the more humid summer months, my hair loved protein, but in the drier winter air, it is really sensitive to protein. My hair is extremely fine, like yours. I have been using my heaviest conditioners lately, ones that would have made my hair a limp mess in the summer. If you are experiencing drier weather now, I would be careful with the protein. If you use a protein-containing product and get really dry, tangly hair, you can follow it up with a rich protein-free conditioner.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file