Itchiness/dandruff reaction to DevaCurl?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm not sure if it's the products or shampoo and conditioner -- but my hair has been itching unbearably. I didn't notice how bad the flaking was until I took a picture to see my curls because I found some 3C curls that I had never knew that I had!!

Much to my bigger surprise, I had flakes EVERYWHERE! I didn't even realize how bad that I've been scratching my scalp until I saw that I had actually scratched enough to make a part in the back of my hair and that the scalp was bleeding. Afterwards, I looked down and saw that my teeshirt was literally soaked with flakes. :shock:

I'm not sure if it's the product build up... but it's really bad. :P

It's not the first time that I've had dandruff. However, I've never experienced any type of itching or dandruff like this in my life. I washed my hair yesterday afternoon with the No Poo, conditioned with One Condition and left some in, used the Styling Cream and Ultra Defining Gel. I haven't done anything to my hair today. After thinking about it, I didn't know if I had to spray my hair on non-washing days to remove the product because I am new to the CG method. But, even so, I don't think product buildup can explain why it's so itchy!

In the photo, it's almost like my scalp look enflamed. I'm honestly afraid of washing tomorrow with the No Poo and One Condition which is why I am picking up "Shea Moisture," shampoo tomorrow. I'm getting either the Deep Cleansing or Dandruff one depending on what my local drugstore has in stock.

It's not just a minor itch; it's a burning itch like a mosquito biting me. Has anyone else ever experienced this with the DevaCurl line? I do like my results so far. However if this is going to continue, I'm going to have to break up with it.
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I can't use the Deva Curl products for any length of time or I get scalp acne. I do like the curls I get with them, so I save them for special occasions, when we are going out, and such.

Some people react to the fragrances in the Deva Curl products, some people's hair and scalp don't like the polyquats in them. So you may be having a reaction to those, or to something else entirely.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The Deva shampoos gave me the same reaction. Not only did I learn not to use them, but I learned my scalp is so sensitive, I can't co-wash at all...I low poo (coco betaine) with Giovanni 50/50 every 3 days. 😁 happy scalp, happy hair.

3B, Fine, Med D, Normal P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: Giovanni 50/50
    LI: DevaOneC/SM JBCO/Cantu Leave In
    Styler: SM Smoothie
    DC: SM JBCO Masque
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
    Also, I understand "isopropyl palmitate" (major ingredient) is a derivative of mineral oil. Since I'm allergic to mineral oil (oh the burn!)...that could've contributed...

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Caylynn wrote: »
    I can't use the Deva Curl products for any length of time or I get scalp acne. I do like the curls I get with them, so I save them for special occasions, when we are going out, and such.

Some people react to the fragrances in the Deva Curl products, some people's hair and scalp don't like the polyquats in them. So you may be having a reaction to those, or to something else entirely.

I went to go buy the 'Deep Cleansing' shampoo by Shea Moisture tonight, but I wasn't able to go. The itching and flaking got so bad that I ended up using my father's dandruff deep cleansing shampoo. It was still flakey, even after the first wash. I've been trying to avoid sulfates/silicone (because of the CG method) but I honestly couldn't take anymore.

I washed it twice with my father's shampoo. Since I wasn't sure if it was product build-up or not, I figured that since I spent $60 on the DevaCurl kit from Sephora that I would try using the products again. I thought maybe it could be the gel residue causing it. Once I got out of the shower, I instantly began itching. This is my second time using the product and it's gradually taken a few hours before I start itching which is just making me feel more and more sure that this is an allergy of some sort. :-(

I've even played around with the styling products. I usually just apply the Ultra Defining Gel with some Styling Cream on my edges, but skipped the gel (except a small dollop) and just used the Styling Cream. The itching is just getting worse and my scalp is still red. I think it's time for me to break up with Deva...

I just hope that it's not the Ultra Defining Gel making me react because I really like that. I don't think it's the fragrances either because I've used regular fragrant shampoo and conditioners without any issues before. Maybe, Deva just isn't for me. :P
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    The Deva shampoos gave me the same reaction. Not only did I learn not to use them, but I learned my scalp is so sensitive, I can't co-wash at all...I low poo (coco betaine) with Giovanni 50/50 every 3 days. 😁 happy scalp, happy hair.

Maybe -- my scalp is sensitive? I've been thinking what I am experiencing is an allergic reaction vs. just my scalp not liking the products because I'm starting to get a little scalp rash as well as the dandruff and itching. :banghead:

I tried a quick co-wash with leave in conditioner this afternoon because the itching was getting so bad! I wet about 50% my hair with a spray bottle (it took a long time just to do half) then applied some One Condition conditioner to it as a leave in and plopped it with a tee-shirt. It didn't help my hair at all. I was just as flaky; though, granted, I wasn't itching immediately like I was after my shower. I think that's why I may be reacting more to the No Poo than the One Condition -- though, in my honest opinion, I think the One Condition is making me itch, but not necessarily as bad

I'm not sure how my hair likes co-washes yet since I haven't had an actual co-wash, yet. My hair has never liked being shampooed daily, but I don't know how it'll like being co-washed. Based off my texture, I think co-washing shouldn't be a problem. I guess we'll see when I give co-washing a shot. :)

I think I will hold up on co-washing until I get my scalp back to normal and figure out what the heck is going on with these Deva products.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Also, I understand "isopropyl palmitate" (major ingredient) is a derivative of mineral oil. Since I'm allergic to mineral oil (oh the burn!)...that could've contributed...

Thanks so much for telling me about that!! I appreciate it so much! ♥

It prompted me to go look up the ingredients in the No Poo and One Condition. I didn't even think to look up the ingredients before I bought DevaCurl. I have a lemon allergy... and just realized that citric acid is in the products. I've never had a reaction to non-lemon citrus ingredients before. A few years ago, I used my mother's Dove shampoo that had lemon extract and got instant hives which is why I think it might be something else. Or possibly the citric acid and something else.

Ugh, I wish I could figure out what is causing this!! :sad1:

No Poo: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

One Condition: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Glycol Distearate, Cetyl Esters, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbogogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Propylene Glycol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I as recently diagnosed with chronic eczema for which i am prescribed a medicated shampoo and spray for use on my scalp. This is something that i should have gotten medical treatmrnt for, but went every route, and over time, ended up using quite a lot of products that would cause severe flareups for me which includes every Deva product i have tried. For my scalp, the Deva products are an absolute no-no. I will say that there is no product, or ingredient in this world, that does not have the posdible ability to cause an allergic reaction, and this involves both synthetic, as well as natural ingredients.

When it comes to using styling products, i currently use natural ones only (From Darcy's Botanicals to be exact). Which my dermatologist gives his okay too. Because when i went to see the dermatologist about my persistent scalp issues, i brought along the current products that i was using in my hair for him to personally check them out, which he did, along with doing a very thorough analysis of my scalp. Now, before, i use a new product, i have to do a patch test first, to check for a possible allergic reaction.

Whenever a product majorly irritates ones scalp to the point, where you have severe itching, then that's a clear sign, for you to stop using that product as soon as possible. And, for snyone that finds themselves suffering with persistent scalp flakiness, dryness, and very intense itching on a regular basis, i highly recommend seeking medical help for such either through your primary care doctor or a dermatoligist for the proper help needed. Because you never know, exactly what type of medical scalp condition that you may possibly be suffering from, and how to best effectively treat it.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry to hear you are having such problems! I would first cease using Deva products until you can get your scalp under control. No point in experimenting with them when your scalp is inflamed and flaky.

I would buy some Scalpacin maximum strength for the itching. It's available at CVS and Wal-greens, not sure about Wal-Mart and Target. I have to use ketoconazole shampoo for the flakes. I know you can get one OTC but not sure of the name. My flakes and itch were bad enough to the point I went to see a dermatologist.

Do you have other products you can use in the meantime while your scalp heals?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

I as recently diagnosed with chronic eczema for which i am prescribed a medicated shampoo and spray for use on my scalp. This is something that i should have gotten medical treatmrnt for, but went every route, and over time, ended up using quite a lot of products that would cause severe flareups for me which includes every Deva product i have tried. For my scalp, the Deva products are an absolute no-no. I will say that there is no product, or ingredient in this world, that does not have the posdible ability to cause an allergic reaction, and this involves both synthetic, as well as natural ingredients.

When it comes to using styling products, i currently use natural ones only (From Darcy's Botanicals to be exact). Which my dermatologist gives his okay too. Because when i went to see the dermatologist about my persistent scalp issues, i brought along the current products that i was using in my hair for him to personally check them out, which he did, along with doing a very thorough analysis of my scalp. Now, before, i use a new product, i have to do a patch test first, to check for a possible allergic reaction.

Whenever a product majorly irritates ones scalp to the point, where you have severe itching, then that's a clear sign, for you to stop using that product as soon as possible. And, for snyone that finds themselves suffering with persistent scalp flakiness, dryness, and very intense itching on a regular basis, i highly recommend seeking medical help for such either through your primary care doctor or a dermatoligist for the proper help needed. Because you never know, exactly what type of medical scalp condition that you may possibly be suffering from, and how to best effectively treat it.

Thank you so much for all of your advice and your detailed answer! I really appreciate it so much. :thumright:

I don't think that this is sign of a more serious issue because prior to using DevaCurl products, I never had these issues. That's interesting that Deva products caused such flareups for you! I wonder if one of the ingredients in the products makes scalps more prone to? I think the culprit for most of the flaking/itching for me is the No Poo -- or at the very least, it's a major contributor vs. the other products.

I'm going to buy Shea Moisture shampoo and want to try using the Gel and One Condition one more time with the SM shampoo before officially breaking up with Deva. I really enjoy the conditioner and gel, so if they don't make me react than I'll be really happy!

If I get the same reaction even without the Styling Cream (which, to be honest, doesn't do very much for my curls) and No Poo -- I am officially breaking up with the Deva line.

My curls love it, but my scalp hates it for some reason. I thought it was just my hair adjusting to following the CG method -- however, it is definitely some type of allergic reaction because it's progressed from dandruff itching to just blown on mosquito bite itching! I noticed where I didn't use the No Poo and Styling Cream that my hair/scalp is not itching which is why I'm curious to try the One Condition and Gel without the other two Deva products. If it doesn't work, I'll probably end up testing out Shea Moisture, Mixed Chicks and Kinky Curly. I heard Miss Jessi's is really good, too. :icescream:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Sorry to hear you are having such problems! I would first cease using Deva products until you can get your scalp under control. No point in experimenting with them when your scalp is inflamed and flaky.

I would buy some Scalpacin maximum strength for the itching. It's available at CVS and Wal-greens, not sure about Wal-Mart and Target. I have to use ketoconazole shampoo for the flakes. I know you can get one OTC but not sure of the name. My flakes and itch were bad enough to the point I went to see a dermatologist.

Do you have other products you can use in the meantime while your scalp heals?

Thanks so much! :happy10:

I used my father's dandruff shampoo by Neutrogena. My dandruff definitely decreased. I am only itching/flaking where I used the No Poo and Styling Cream. I didn't use the Styling Cream on my entire head out of curiosity to test out what products could be making me react like this.

I followed up with the No Poo after the T-Gel shampoo because I was curious if it was just a product buildup. I also didn't use any Ultra Defining Gel either because of worries about it being product build-up.

It's definitely something else making me react besides product build-up.

I really like the conditioner and gel, so I'm going to use a different type of shampoo (I'm buying Shea Moisture's shampoo) and see what happens when I do that. If it makes me react again, I'll just break up with the Deva line and move onto a different brand. I'm just crossing my fingers that it's just No Poo and the Styling Cream.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • ginabean98ginabean98 Posts: 197Registered Users
    I get a cradle cap type deal with co washing. For me the issue is dermatitis. Try an anti-dandruff co wash like Head and Shoulder co wash, or try sulfate free shampooing (if ur hair can handle it on a reg basis) Also, Deva products flared my scalp up like crazy too! Crazy flaking- I think things with protein bother my scalp. Not sure if that was the problem though
    2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
    Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
    CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
    :sunny:
    GOD really loves you. ∞
    HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
    *I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
    I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
    :cat:
    ginabean98 wrote: »
    I get a cradle cap type deal with co washing. For me the issue is dermatitis. Try an anti-dandruff co wash like Head and Shoulder co wash, or try sulfate free shampooing (if ur hair can handle it on a reg basis) Also, Deva products flared my scalp up like crazy too! Crazy flaking- I think things with protein bother my scalp. Not sure if that was the problem though

Wow... it's shocking that so many people had the same issue with the Deva products. I don't think my hair has any problems with protein, but I haven't used enough curly products to find out or not.

Thanks so much for your advice! :glasses8:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    UPDATE:

I washed today with T-Gel because I don't have any other shampoo alternatives that I can use and I really want to halt the dandruff before it gets worse. After the T-Gel, I used the One Condition. There was no immediate itching at all! I followed up with the Ultra Defining Gel and had no issues either. I've gone all day without any inflammation or itching except in areas that were already inflamed.

Besides in the spots where the No-Poo (from my prior hair wash) was applied and turned red, my scalp is completely fine now. I still have some flaking in the areas where the No Poo was applied, but my scalp is fine as a whole. There's a rash still and the redness, but the flakes subsided a lot. Basically my scalp is still messed up where the No Poo was applied, but nowhere else. I'm just feeling grateful for that!

I'm not sure what ingredient did it, but it was definitely something in the No Poo. I officially broke up with it! I'm looking for alternatives to it. I also didn't use the Styling Cream either. For some reason, there's something in those products that I'm allergic to!

I'm just happy that my scalp likes the conditioner and gel because my hair sure loves them!!

Thank you all for your input and advice.

At first, I thought it might just be my hair reacting to going CG, but I know now it was some type of allergy. It's also interesting that so many other people have had similar reactions with Deva products. I'm glad that I made a post or else I might have kept using it not realizing it was an allergic reaction vs. my scalp just adjusting to going CG. :sad7:

I'm slightly bummed that I can't use the No Poo, I'm just relieved that I know what was causing this allergic reaction in my scalp. On the brighter side, maybe the next product I find will be the best one yet!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    That's great! Trial and error can be a BEAST for sensitive skin...

• esthersdollesthersdoll Posts: 1Registered Users
    It's so nice to learn that other people are having the same issues that I have had with the Deva products.

I thought I had dandruff for many years until I somewhat recently discovered that it's just a reaction my scalp has to some hair products, so I'm still trying to suss it all out. I can't tell if it's an allergy or just irritation from the chemicals. Sometimes it's flakes, it's definitely itchy, and sometimes it's scabs formed on an area of the scalp without my scratching that area. If I stay away from some products I don't have any of these symptoms.

I've tried all of the Deva products and the only one that I can use right now that doesn't cause flakes and itchiness is the One Conditioner.

I've been using Raw Curls Cleanser, the Deva One Conditioner, and InnerSense gel without trouble.

My curls tend to prefer the cream stylers, but the cream stylers are the ones that really cause the itchiness on my scalp. I would love to hear about a cream styler that doesn't cause itchiness and flakes!

I also use the anti-frizz spray from Raw Curls without issue, but I don't use it every day.

I'm still experimenting with different products; unfortunately, I don't know how a product will affect me until I try it out.
  • JD.GameAccouJD.GameAccou Posts: 46Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can relate. The Deva products for me caused itching and flaking and burning. It was horrible! I stay clear of them myself, although others love it
    - Rose

2B/C wavy, fine, high porosity hair

Mod-CG
    Poo: Renpure Bamboo Coconut Water Shampoo
    Condish - SoCozy Boing Sweet Crème Curl Conditioner
    Leave in- KCKT, JM Organics Citrus/Neroli Detangler
    Curl Cream: CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Creme-Lite
    Gel: *searching*
    PT: CJ Repair Me, Gelatin
    Pre-Poo/Overnight: Aloe, Jojoba & Tea Tree Oil Mix
    Clarifying: Redken Cleansing Cream Shampoo

*Allergic to Devacurl and Herbal Essences
  • NickiGeshNickiGesh Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure if it's the products or shampoo and conditioner -- but my hair has been itching unbearably. I didn't notice how bad the flaking was until I took a picture to see my curls because I found some 3C curls that I had never knew that I had!!

Much to my bigger surprise, I had flakes EVERYWHERE! I didn't even realize how bad that I've been scratching my scalp until I saw that I had actually scratched enough to make a part in the back of my hair and that the scalp was bleeding. Afterwards, I looked down and saw that my teeshirt was literally soaked with flakes. :shock:

I'm not sure if it's the product build up... but it's really bad. :P

It's not the first time that I've had dandruff. However, I've never experienced any type of itching or dandruff like this in my life. I washed my hair yesterday afternoon with the No Poo, conditioned with One Condition and left some in, used the Styling Cream and Ultra Defining Gel. I haven't done anything to my hair today. After thinking about it, I didn't know if I had to spray my hair on non-washing days to remove the product because I am new to the CG method. But, even so, I don't think product buildup can explain why it's so itchy!

In the photo, it's almost like my scalp look enflamed. I'm honestly afraid of washing tomorrow with the No Poo and One Condition which is why I am picking up "Shea Moisture," shampoo tomorrow. I'm getting either the Deep Cleansing or Dandruff one depending on what my local drugstore has in stock.

It's not just a minor itch; it's a burning itch like a mosquito biting me. Has anyone else ever experienced this with the DevaCurl line? I do like my results so far. However if this is going to continue, I'm going to have to break up with it.
    Am really late to the CG game and i wish i had seen this post before i ordered the deva curl for all curl kind package. i though having all natural ingredients it wouldn't be a bother as i have never had a problem before; but i was wrong !! looks like i had a combined reaction: scalp acne, itchy scalp that would end up burning in the middle of the night, dandruff and to add to it all where ever the products touched i'd get red bumps like pimples !!!!
    I was devastated as i live in Kuwait and there aren't many CG friendly products available here. My mom later told me i could be allergic or all the oil were too much or me; if anything it made my curls amazing but at the cost of a dry dandruffy scalp.
    So If any of you out there please re-check before purchasing any product ; no matter how amazing it may be .... its not worth the health of your scalp!
    Because i love the product i am still keeping it for that one special day thing... and may incorporate the gel and styling cream as they don't primarily constitute of oils !!!
    For those of you signed-up here from India or Kuwait or anyother gulf based region a quick releif was the Dhatrhi Dheedi shampoo that came to my rescue and well am still contemplating on the sheamoisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie; it just might be not right for me. Also am considering to purchase Palmer's whichever is available here to see if it could be a brand I can use as it is locally available

If any of you know a good replacement for the devacurl all curl kind line please do let me know...
  • curly01curly01 Posts: 93Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I can't use the low poos, no poos and especially the one condition.  My scalp will itch horribly with the one condition.  My stylist will use it on me when I go for trims but one time, it's ok.  But I can't continue on with it.  The gel doesn't bother me at all.  So the only deva product I use is the gel.  I use the ultra defining one.
  • kurlyconniekurlyconnie Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I am so happy I came across this post.  I know the original comment is old.  However, I am experiencing the worst scalp pain, burning, itching, rash, sores EVERY IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.  I thought I had some type of fungus or something crazy. I've been using prescription shampoo and taking medication.  I accidentally stopped using Deva Curl products because I ran out and my scalp seemed to be feeling a lot better.  Well, last night I used the deep conditioner (Melt into Moisture) and put on a plastic cap.  My scalp started feeling tingly/burning.  I rinsed out the conditioner, then I remembered that every time I used Deva Curl products, it burned a little.  I initially thought it was just tingly like some products with mint or tea tree oil tingle a little but in a good way.  Then I realized that this was more of a burning following by intense itching.  OMG, I am never using Deva Curl products again.  My scalp is a mess.  I am so uncomfortable right now as I type this comment.  My scalp is sore, burning and itching so badly. I want to cry.  My scalp did not feel this before I used the conditioner.  It was feeling a lot better and seemed to be healing.  I should have known there was something in these products that I was sensitive to because washing and conditioning your hair should not burn like acid.

The ingredients for the deep conditioner (Melt into Moisture) are not great.  Also, after doing some research, I discovered that beetroot can cause pretty severe allergic reactions such as rash, itching, and hives.  Something in these products is not good for your skin.  I  understand everyone is different and individuals can have allergic reactions to ingredients.  However, I've been natural for 7 years and I have tried just about everything (cheap, expensive, all natural, synthetic and everything in-between) and no other product has done anything remotely like this to my scalp.

I'm not bashing Deva Curl products at all.  Because after I used it the first time, I thought I found my holy grail products.  It makes my curl pop but my scalp is on fire!  It's like I have perm scabs!

INGREDIENTS (Melt into Moisture)
    Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Palmitate, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Powder, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil), Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Panthenol, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Peg-40 Castor Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Aminomethyl Propanol, Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Dipheptyl Succinate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate-60, Polyquaternium-37, Cetrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Green 5 (CI 61570), Yellow 6 (CI 15985)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file