Curl Direction Question

CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
Does anyone else have trouble with their waves/curls spinning one direction?

It seems like all of mine twirl towards my face. To create my waves/curls I part my hair on either side of my head, do the Ice Queen method, scrunch out water, scrunch in products, then scrunch with a t-shirt, and I always end up with curls going one direction.

While I do enjoy how the front and side parts of my hair look like I've taken a 1" curling iron to them (never thought my hair could do that!), I'm not really enjoying how they all go towards my face, and have a tendency to lump together in big fat sausage curls.

Am I alone in this? If not, have any of you figured out how to get some clumps to turn a different direction? I've tried twirling every other clump before I put my products in, to go the opposite direction, but they still all end up going forward.

I've attached a couple photos from yesterday morning, after I took out my pineapple.
2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
Wash: SM Fruit Fusion
Co: Suave Coconut
Cond: Suave Coconut, GVP CB
Style: AG: ReCoil, SM FF Mousse, JF heat defeat, grapeseed oil
DT: Coconut oil with GVP CB
Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip

Comments

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a bigger problem with curl direction changing halfway down the clump. It's so annoying!

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • CopperCrownCopperCrown Posts: 84Registered Users
    Oh man that's awful. I hope someone has an answer for you too!
    2a/2b/2c (spirals on sides and underneath, less wavy canopy), fine texture, frizzy, med porosity, low/med density, normal elasticity, colored

Mod CG
    Method: squish to condish/ice queen, flour sack towel scrunch, products, diffuse & clip
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine change halfway down clump as well. They look GORGE! Maybe try styling upside down, to allow you to style from the root?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
    Thanks! I have tried that, but unfortunately because of my shorter layers on the top, unless I'm going mousse, the entire top section refuses to wave well if I try it upside down. I don't know why it works better with mousse, but they're definitely different results.

My profile picture is the result when I put products in upside down with mousse and plop. I don't get the curls so much, but it does go different directions. I can't get 2nd day hair with mousse though, and it's not very good in humidity like LALSG.

I tried something different tonight, in that I put my head backwards and raked in the cold water to make clumps, then scrunched in products from side to side. I've clipped the roots and I'm going to try and let it air dry for the first time. I don't have big clumps now that I've messed with it more, but maybe it will be a good result still? I will have to wait and see. I can tell already that I won't have the curls I get with the other method though.

Mod CG
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does anyone else have trouble with their waves/curls spinning one direction?

It seems like all of mine twirl towards my face. To create my waves/curls I part my hair on either side of my head, do the Ice Queen method, scrunch out water, scrunch in products, then scrunch with a t-shirt, and I always end up with curls going one direction.

While I do enjoy how the front and side parts of my hair look like I've taken a 1" curling iron to them (never thought my hair could do that!), I'm not really enjoying how they all go towards my face, and have a tendency to lump together in big fat sausage curls.

Am I alone in this? If not, have any of you figured out how to get some clumps to turn a different direction? I've tried twirling every other clump before I put my products in, to go the opposite direction, but they still all end up going forward.

I've attached a couple photos from yesterday morning, after I took out my pineapple.
    Yes I have that problem! Actually I think our curl patterns look quite similar. I haven't figured out how to get it to curl in an opposite direction. Twirling just straightens the curl or makes it super wonky. But I complained about it to my hairstylist and after my hair was cut it didn't lump together as much. Raking in my product also helps
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
    Oh my goodness it worked!

I was worried at first, because with all the gel in it, it looked really stringy, but it scrunched out so beautifully! And I even have a ton of waves/curl in the back, which is SO hard for me to achieve!

Usually when I make larger clumps my hair ends up a bit thinner looking. This turned out so lovely and thick and bouncy though, I may never touch a hair dryer again.

I could cry I love it so much and it's so much less maintenance than diffusing. And they're not all going one direction! It's a miracle!

Mod CG
  • wavesandsmileswavesandsmiles Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh my goodness it worked!

I was worried at first, because with all the gel in it, it looked really stringy, but it scrunched out so beautifully! And I even have a ton of waves/curl in the back, which is SO hard for me to achieve!

Usually when I make larger clumps my hair ends up a bit thinner looking. This turned out so lovely and thick and bouncy though, I may never touch a hair dryer again.

I could cry I love it so much and it's so much less maintenance than diffusing. And they're not all going one direction! It's a miracle!
    Yay! What you described sounds like what I've been experimenting with. Looks like we're both discovering the magic of raking :D Your hair looks awesome! A little off topic,but how do you clip your hair? I wish I could get mine to look like that
    CG since June 2011 :)
    2b/c, thick, medium/coarse, low-medium porosity
    full Chinese Canadian
    Yay! What you described sounds like what I've been experimenting with. Looks like we're both discovering the magic of raking :D Your hair looks awesome! A little off topic,but how do you clip your hair? I wish I could get mine to look like that

Yeah! *high fives for figuring out our hair!*

As for clipping, tonight I clipped it a bit weird, because I don't know what I did with a bunch of my double pronged alligator clips. So I had 2, and I put them in the front by lifting a small section of hair up and putting the clip straight down on it so the tips of the prongs are touching my scalp and the hair makes a tall arch.

For the rest I had to use duckbill clips, but I pulled the hair up the same way, put the clips on the bottom of the arch I made with the hair, then attached it close to the scalp. I didn't do it super well, because they sort of fell as it dried, but it still worked well enough this time. Oh! And I did diffuse the roots a little once the clips were in, for just a couple of minutes, to get that root lift jump started.

Mod CG
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I think your hair looks gorgeous, regardless of the way your curls curl! Glad you've found some methods that you're happy with.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
    Caylynn wrote: »
    I think your hair looks gorgeous, regardless of the way your curls curl! Glad you've found some methods that you're happy with.

Awww thank you so much Caylynn! I love your hair too. You should see the back though, on any of my not so good hair days... I tend to part my hair and pull it forward over my shoulders because I hate how the back doesn't have a nice wave like the front. I really don't like how it looks at all. Hopefully this new method will help that.

I got great 2nd day hair today, and all I did was rub my fingers through my scalp and I was good to go. So here's hoping!

Mod CG
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Mine do too. I tend to create a larger clump up front so it stays out of my face. That's why I hate face framing layers, it always does funny stuff up front.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Awww thank you so much Caylynn! I love your hair too. You should see the back though, on any of my not so good hair days... I tend to part my hair and pull it forward over my shoulders because I hate how the back doesn't have a nice wave like the front. I really don't like how it looks at all. Hopefully this new method will help that.

I got great 2nd day hair today, and all I did was rub my fingers through my scalp and I was good to go. So here's hoping!

I do the same thing! Putting my hair over my shoulders that is. Though the back of my head gets the best curls, with my low density hair and sometimes styling upside down technique, there's this huge gap in back. Still figuring out how to style to cover it up without sacrificing volume (if I don't style upside down I tend to get helmet head).

Anyway I thought I was the only one who constantly puts my hair forward over my shoulders like that.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    naturecat wrote: »

I do the same thing! Putting my hair over my shoulders that is. Though the back of my head gets the best curls, with my low density hair and sometimes styling upside down technique, there's this huge gap in back. Still figuring out how to style to cover it up without sacrificing volume (if I don't style upside down I tend to get helmet head).

Anyway I thought I was the only one who constantly puts my hair forward over my shoulders like that.

You're definitely not! That's me pretty much every single day when my hair is down. And I say I have medium density, and I do, but it's on the lower end of medium. So pulling my hair forward also makes me feel like I have more hair haha!

Mod CG
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users

Thanks! I have the opposite problem - the back curls much better than the front with my hair (although I do get those big "sausage" curls - can't pull them apart without getting frizz though, so I'll take them!)

I end up tucking my front pieces behind my ears, or clipping them back! I finally managed to get nice curls on one side with Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets yesterday, so maybe I'll have success with that in the future if I can figure out the right amount to apply to the sad stringy front pieces.

I hope I still have some nice waves when my hair gets back to the length that yours is.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file