2nd & 3rd day hair routine

IvytwineIvytwine Posts: 25Registered Users
Hello! It's been a few years since I've visited these forums. In those few years I've gotten to experiment a lot with my hair! One particular technique I've managed to improve upon is achieving hair that's to my liking on 2nd & 3rd days, and since I've read a couple posts about some curlies struggling with this (especially with flat/wonky hair from pineappling) I thought I'd share my routine.

Before bed, and usually right after I get home from work, I put my hair up in a half-pineapple by pulling the length only halfway through the last loop. This half-technique helps to contain the length of my hair - shorter curlies can pull the length all the way through. Pineappling like this used to leave my hair flat with stretched curls. Read on to see how I fixed this. :)

I leave my hair in a pineapple until after I shower the next morning. I don't bother with a shower cap since I'll be dampening my hair afterward. After I'm out of the shower, I wet my hands in the sink, then gently run them through my hair, getting it slightly damp - not soaking wet! Another option is to use a spray bottle with water in it and spray your hair a few times, lifting your hair in layers to get your hair evenly dampened. Once damp, and with hands also slightly damp, gently run your hands down the top layer of your hair a few times to smooth it out. This smoothing part magically & drastically reduces frizz! :cheers:

Once my hair is damp, I take a small amount of mousse and smooth that through my hair - use whatever kind of styler you want or none if you prefer, since dampening your hair may have been enough to reactivate styler applied yesterday. After smoothing, and with a tiny bit of mousse still left in my hands, I scrunch scrunch scrunch my hair, then scrunch some more. This helps to reshape curls after smoothing.

After smoothing & scrunching, I plop my hair for half an hour or so while I'm finishing up the rest of my morning routine. When I take my hair down, I use my plopping towel (microfiber, tshirt, potato sack or whatever - but never terry cloth!) to blot/scrunch some more. I try to use the dry area of the towel, but it doesn't really get too wet since my hair was only a little damp. This last bit of blotting/scrunching helps a lot with definition & volume.

Then I clip my roots & leave the clips in during my drive to work. I remove the clips just before going into the office and voila! Nearly perfect 2nd & sometimes 3rd day hair! After a couple hours I'll scrunch out the crunch if there is any, then shake out my roots for that va-va-VOOM factor. :afro:

I know this seems kind of long, but for as much as I've typed out here this really requires minimal effort and doesn't take that long considering how great I think my hair looks for 2nd & 3rd days. Hope this helps someone! :thumbleft:

Comments

• DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your technique is very similar to mine, and gives me 4 day hair if I need to. I use dilute conditioner to damp my hair, smoothing it downwards to get rid of any frizz. Then smooth some mousse down individual curls to reclump them followed by a quick diffuse to set the cast. Then SOTC. I rarely need to clip my roots as I have plenty of curl at the roots from styling upside down on day 1, and this lasts perfectly until I wash again.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Posts: 15Registered Users
    This is really helpful--thank you! My problem with 2nd day curls is that I get some bad tangles on my bottom layers sometimes. Do you detangle at all on 2nd day?
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is quite a bit shorter than yours (just starting to touch my shoulers), and much lower density but i do get some tangles underneath where my curls are very tight. They tend to wrap around eachother and form huge clumps. I just carefully untease them after spritzing and then define them with the mousse.
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file