Best Affordable Diffuser and Comb/Brush or 3A/3B hair?

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Last night, I spent a lot of time reading about could cause flat roots. The crown of my hair has a flatness that's definitely not defined with curls. Up until a few days ago when starting the CG method, I brushed my hair (only when it was wet though) and thought that maybe that's why I've had flat roots.

I'm currently detangling now in the shower with lots of conditioner with a wide toothed comb, but it constantly slips out of my hand. It's annoying -- but it's also really frustrating because I'm handicapped, so it's a burden as well. I'm looking for something that can get through thick, coarse and high density hair. :tongue10:

I've also read and picked up Vloggers that most people use diffusers in their curly hair care! Is there any specific type of diffuser that is better than others without being too pricey?
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think an awesome detangler comb/brush is the Denman brush. It also clumps my hair great and was probably the best thing is ever bought in my hair journey. I'm not sure how well it would work for roots for you but maybe it'll work. As for diffusers I don't know too much on what's better. I think they all work fairly the same and it might be down to preference and what's easier to use on your hair but don't take my word for it.

Sent from my LGMS323 using CurlTalk App
    3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
  • bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Posts: 403Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think an awesome detangler comb/brush is the Denman brush. It also clumps my hair great and was probably the best thing is ever bought in my hair journey. I'm not sure how well it would work for roots for you but maybe it'll work. As for diffusers I don't know too much on what's better. I think they all work fairly the same and it might be down to preference and what's easier to use on your hair but don't take my word for it.

Sent from my LGMS323 using CurlTalk App

Thank you so much! I definitely am going to buy a Denman brush. :) I just watched a few Youtube reviews -- it looks so wonderful! I've always been one of those people who hate detangling because of the density, coarseness and thickness of my hair. A good detangling day pre-CG was about 50 minutes with a brush. Granted, I wasn't using the shower and conditioner method either which I'm sure didn't help.

My mom is going to let me check out her diffuser. I've never blowdried my hair because it's always taken me a very long time, but the diffuser videos that I keep seeing on Youtube look so awesome. Since going CG, I noticed a huge difference at the roots/crown of my hair. It's never been a lack of volume. It's just that the curls tend to get this weird wavy, straight texture (I guess 2C would be a good example) at the root vs. my 3A/3B hair texture. Yesterday after my wash, my hair curled completely from the root!! So maybe, there's hope for me yet. :smilebox:
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got my Conair universal diffuser from Sally's for about ten bucks and I love it. It has a nice deep bowl which is perfect for dense hair. Do some reading about the pixy diffusing method, it definitely encourages curl and reduces frizz. In terms of flat roots, I have a couple of thoughts. Sometimes if you have heavy hair, it's just physics. The weight of your length pulls the roots flat. Since I had layers cut in by a Deva stylist, my roots have been much curlier. When you're detangling, try leaning to the side if possible so you can comb your roots away from the scalp, rather than down. You might also try applying your styling product with your hair flipped upside down, plopping, diffusing with your hair fliped upside down, or inserting clips to support your roots as the hair dries. This is all trial and error, some of these techniques work better than others for different people.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • GettinControlGettinControl Posts: 828Registered Users
    I have thick, medium/coarse 3a/b hair and the Ouidad Wide Tooth Comb doesn't slip out of my hand.
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've recently been looking as well!

So far I've found one at Sally's for $7.99 (or $6.99 if you're a member!).
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
    I got my Conair universal diffuser from Sally's for about ten bucks and I love it. It has a nice deep bowl which is perfect for dense hair. Do some reading about the pixy diffusing method, it definitely encourages curl and reduces frizz. In terms of flat roots, I have a couple of thoughts. Sometimes if you have heavy hair, it's just physics. The weight of your length pulls the roots flat. Since I had layers cut in by a Deva stylist, my roots have been much curlier. When you're detangling, try leaning to the side if possible so you can comb your roots away from the scalp, rather than down. You might also try applying your styling product with your hair flipped upside down, plopping, diffusing with your hair fliped upside down, or inserting clips to support your roots as the hair dries. This is all trial and error, some of these techniques work better than others for different people.

Thanks so much! I already need to place an order with Sally's, so I will definitely check on there to buy one if diffusing works well for my hair. :) I saw a cheap one on Amazon too. I just Googled about that diffusing method. I found this video which is part of what got me interested in diffusing because I saw how much volume and definition it added to the hair.

I worked on those techniques you mentioned. Thank you so much for all of your advice. I appreciate it so much! :-) I tried using butterfly clamps earlier and my volume was increased by so much! I normally use a wide headband after I get out of the shower but following your advice, I used butterfly clamps to lift my hair back instead. I spread out a few of them because of my hair's thickness and to increase it and saw a huge difference. I will definitely keep on working with the clamp method. :) I didn't notice too much difference with plopping with a tee-shirt, but maybe plopping with my micro-fiber towel will make a difference.

I think not using sulfates and silicones is helping me a lot, as well.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    I have thick, medium/coarse 3a/b hair and the Ouidad Wide Tooth Comb doesn't slip out of my hand.

Thank you so much!! I love the way the handle shapes upwards. I think that would definitely solve my issue with it slipping. :D

It's frustrating to be able to keep my hand on the comb without it slipping on the conditioner, wetness or just the forcefulness that I need to use to get it through. I don't even know how I'd be able to detangle with a conditioner with less slip than the Deva conditioner because I struggle a lot with detangling with a brush, just as it is because of my handicap. Hopefully that comb may be my saving grace. I'm ordering a Denman too, so hopefully it'll work great. :smilebox:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    JunyJu wrote: »
    I've recently been looking as well!

So far I've found one at Sally's for $7.99 (or $6.99 if you're a member!).

Yes, I have a Sally's membership. I have a Sally's addiction -- it's even worse now since working on my curly journey. LOL. :money:

Besides Sally's, I've found some really cheap ones on Amazon too that are name-brand. I'm going to test out my mom's diffuser to see the difference it makes before buying one. From what I've read, it looks like the diffuser tends to matter more than the dryer itself. I'm more than likely going with a Conair if I buy one from Target or Amazon instead of Sally's because I read about 12 reviews just about the Revlon diffuser/dryer combo catching on fire!! Yikes! :P
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for that! I was looking at them and a few Revlon ones popped up that looked nice, but I will stick with the Conair one I saw then. I don't want a fire!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Believe it or not my blow dryer went on the fritz just now! So I guess tomorrow will be a pony tail day and after work I'll be shopping for a new one with a diffuser. My stylist recommended a blow dryer that has neg/pos ion settings. Is that an advantage? I am nervous a different dryer will make huge difference affecting all the progress I've made cultivating curl in the last 8 months!
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
    JunyJu wrote: »
    Thank you for that! I was looking at them and a few Revlon ones popped up that looked nice, but I will stick with the Conair one I saw then. I don't want a fire!

Here's the link to the Revlon one that I saw about the fires. I thought that maybe once could be a coincidence, but it's most definitely a recurring issue!! I always research everything before I buy it and I'm honestly so glad that I did! I thought about a Revlon -- but after reading the reviews, I will most definitely buy a Conair or a different brand. That's a huge, huge, safety issue! :P

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-RV544PKF-1875W-Tourmaline-Ceramic/product-reviews/B000FS05VG/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

I used a diffuser for the first time today that was a Conair. It was a pretty good experience overall. I used my Aunt's because my Mom's doesn't have a diffuser. It was a Conair '1875 Watt Cord-Keeper' and it did really well. Because of my thickness, hair length (it's past my belly button) and low porosity, it took me about 2 and 1/2 hours to get my hair dried to about 50%.

My hair can take up to three days to become fully dry so I thought it was pretty good for a relatively cheap dryer to be able to do that for me. My hair looked great.

Granted, I accidentally messed up diffusing the first time because one Youtube lady's diffusing method just did not work for me. I just rewet my hair with my water spray bottle and started over. I diffused for about an hour, took a break with a fan (a great tip from somebody on here) then finished. I still have amazing definition! My hair tends to dissolve into a massive thing of frizz, so it was wonderful. My roots were completely curled and full of so much volume, too!
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    ttoosday wrote: »
    Believe it or not my blow dryer went on the fritz just now! So I guess tomorrow will be a pony tail day and after work I'll be shopping for a new one with a diffuser. My stylist recommended a blow dryer that has neg/pos ion settings. Is that an advantage? I am nervous a different dryer will make huge difference affecting all the progress I've made cultivating curl in the last 8 months!

The thing that has been helping me most besides all of the wonderful Curlies on here with their awesome advice is watching Youtube reviews, reading Amazon's reviews as well as Sally's and Ulta's reviews.

A big thing that's been important to me, besides not being expensive, is a dryer that can help my hair take down its drying time while being on cool to avoid heat damage. After finding out about this Revlon's tendency to catch fire (which is the one that I was going to buy) -- I think I will probably go with a Conair!

I can totally understand that you're worried about your curl! A big thing that helped me calm my nerves about diffusing worries since today was my first time ever using a diffuser is knowing that I could just rewet my hair and start over. It was a big relief. :)
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file