Why did my curl pattern change?

Hi,

I have recently started wearing my hair curly again and have noticed that my curl pattern has changed a lot. I had been flat ironing my hair a lot for several years. (about 5) on and off a little. and before i started straightening my hair and my hair was long, my curls were smaller and skinnier. but now that i have over time periodically cut off all of the damage, i have shoulder length hair. i just stopped with heat tools about a month ago and my curls clump WAY more than they ever did. they clump too much and since my hair is thin and i don't have a lot, it looks weird like i only have a few big curls. i was wondering if this change was caused by heat damage or maybe just because my hair is shorter, or hormones?? and is there anything i can do to get my skinnier curls back. the first two pics are how my hair used to be and the last two are my hair now. thank you!!

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Comments

• AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair texture can change over the course of one's life. Your curls are amazing; I wish mine looked like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • HakoHako Posts: 6Registered Users
    There's a lot of possible reasons. One is that sometimes as you age your hair type changes. Another is that your hair could have been permanently affected by constantly straightening it for so long.

When I was younger I had 2c hair but after growing up and having it constantly straightened for years and chemically damaged it turned into type 4 hair.

By the way your curls are beautiful. They look like they were done by a curling wand.
    Thick 4b hair.
    After a botched trim, back at APL :(

On the journey back to BSL!
    Semi-Ultimate Goal: Mid-back length

Ultimate Goal: Waist length

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your curls are gorgeous! I have a somewhat similar problem; my hair overly clumps if I don't intervene and it pulls the curl straight. Some people rake things through their hair. Some break up their clumps into smaller pieces after their hair is dry and they SOTC. I physically divide my hair into clumps before I begin my routine. You may also have heat damage and over time as your hair gets healthier it will change again.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,165Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It could be a length issue, my hair gets curlier the shorter it is but some people experience the opposite.
    Your curls are very pretty either way!
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file