Aloe Vera for hair: Food grade or Skin Moisturizer?

BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello lovelies!
A small question for you, when looking for 100% Aloe Vera gel what should you buy? Are there any brands that you all recommend that I can get at Walmart, Walgreen's or CVS? I'm looking to use this as a leave in or sealant. But I don't want it to be watery if at all possible. Should I be getting cold grade or just a normal skin moisturizer?
I'm using this Walgreen's brand (picture below)
uploadfromtaptalk1435339752308.jpg
But every one else uses this one
uploadfromtaptalk1435339847541.jpg
Do you know where I can get this?

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
My Hair:
3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
DIY Shampoo
Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
It's a 10 Leave In
Sweet Almond Oil
Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I have used the clear Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (which you can actually find down the same isle where the sunscreens and body lotions are in Walmart), when the aloe in it was labeled as being Certified Organic, and after it stopped being labeled Certified Organic (which is how it's currently being sold at this time). Therefore, I cannot attest to the product's current potency, or the actual amount of aloe that is actually included within this product, because this product doesn't only contain aloe in it, but a variety of other ingredients in it too, for preservation of the product, as well as for product thickening purposes, etc., plus this product, what I remember is designed for use on the skin and is not food grade as well (designed to be ingested internally). One of the possible ways that it says it can be used of course is as a styling gel. I have found that this product doesn't really work well for doing a wash n go with on my hair, plus,I don't find it to be moisturizing at all, to my hair in any way. It actually is quite drying to my hair, to tell you the truth. The hold is what I consider to be light-to-medium (based upon how much you actually apply to your hair). I no longer use this product at all, because it just isn't the right fit for my hair as a styler.

I have used Lily of the Desert's Aloe Vera Gel (which is good grade and is not listed on the actual bottle for use on ones hair and scalp, however, there are curlies that do use it on their hair and/or scalp nonetheless) and their Aloe Vera Gelly (which is designed for use on the skin, but I did try it on my hair nonetheless-due to reading online reviews of others who had chose to use it that way) and even though the aloe inside both products are certified organic, they don't actually contain only 100% aloe in either one. They do contain ingredients within each product used for thickening up the product (to give it a gelatinous consistency, for preservation purposes, etc. The Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel that I bought comes with juice inside, with clumps of gel mixed in. So, it didn't come in 100% complete gel form which is what I was looking for. It also left a coating on my hair, as I tried using it as a styler, and that ended being a no-go for my curls. It wasn't moisturizing to my hair at all, and it honestly felt like it sucking moisture out of my hair, however, I ended up keeping the bottle, but used it for other purposes instead of on my hair. Now, the Aloe Vera Gelly didn't perform well on my hair as a styler, and it flaked on me. Plus, both products from Lily of the Desert had this weird type of scent to it, which I didn't find to be all that pleasing either.

I have tried the Walgreens "knockoff version", and it happens to perform the exact same way in my hair as the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel does, so my use of this product in my hair was very short lived. It isn't food grade, and is only designed for use on ones skin or possibly ones's hair too (if desired). It doesn't state that the aloe in it is certified organic, and neither does the one that CVS sells state such either.

Recently, I decided to buy, my own aloe plant which the aloe inside can be used internally, as well as externally as desired. I got my aloe plant from my local Walmart's Garden Center (where it actually retails for less than $4.). I decided to buy an actual aloe plant, because I feel that getting the aloe from inside the actual leaves themselves, will provide me with the most purest form possible, and be most beneficial to me overall. As, I was recently diagnosed with a medical scalp condition that even though I have been prescribed products to use towards treating it, I decided to try using pure aloe Vera in addition to such towards helping to treat my scalp condition too. Now, when it comes to what I use towards styling my hair, I only use natural styling aids and plan to continue to stick to doing so. I have come to learn that my scalp cannot deal with the use of certain additives, fillers, synthetic fragrances, and even some essential oils in products, as well.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have used the clear Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (which you can actually find down the same isle where the sunscreens and body lotions are in Walmart), when the aloe in it was labeled as being Certified Organic, and after it stopped being labeled Certified Organic (which is how it's currently being sold at this time). Therefore, I cannot attest to the product's current potency, or the actual amount of aloe that is actually included within this product, because this product doesn't only contain aloe in it, but a variety of other ingredients in it too, for preservation of the product, as well as for product thickening purposes, etc., plus this product, what I remember is designed for use on the skin and is not food grade as well (designed to be ingested internally). One of the possible ways that it says it can be used of course is as a styling gel. I have found that this product doesn't really work well for doing a wash n go with on my hair, plus,I don't find it to be moisturizing at all, to my hair in any way. It actually is quite drying to my hair, to tell you the truth. The hold is what I consider to be light-to-medium (based upon how much you actually apply to your hair). I no longer use this product at all, because it just isn't the right fit for my hair as a styler.

I have used Lily of the Desert's Aloe Vera Gel (which is good grade and is not listed on the actual bottle for use on ones hair and scalp, however, there are curlies that do use it on their hair and/or scalp nonetheless) and their Aloe Vera Gelly (which is designed for use on the skin, but I did try it on my hair nonetheless-due to reading online reviews of others who had chose to use it that way) and even though the aloe inside both products are certified organic, they don't actually contain only 100% aloe in either one. They do contain ingredients within each product used for thickening up the product (to give it a gelatinous consistency, for preservation purposes, etc. The Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel that I bought comes with juice inside, with clumps of gel mixed in. So, it didn't come in 100% complete gel form which is what I was looking for. It also left a coating on my hair, as I tried using it as a styler, and that ended being a no-go for my curls. It wasn't moisturizing to my hair at all, and it honestly felt like it sucking moisture out of my hair, however, I ended up keeping the bottle, but used it for other purposes instead of on my hair. Now, the Aloe Vera Gelly didn't perform well on my hair as a styler, and it flaked on me. Plus, both products from Lily of the Desert had this weird type of scent to it, which I didn't find to be all that pleasing either.

I have tried the Walgreens "knockoff version", and it happens to perform the exact same way in my hair as the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel does, so my use of this product in my hair was very short lived. It isn't food grade, and is only designed for use on ones skin or possibly ones's hair too (if desired). It doesn't state that the aloe in it is certified organic, and neither does the one that CVS sells state such either.

Recently, I decided to buy, my own aloe plant which the aloe inside can be used internally, as well as externally as desired. I got my aloe plant from my local Walmart's Garden Center (where it actually retails for less than $4.). I decided to buy an actual aloe plant, because I feel that getting the aloe from inside the actual leaves themselves, will provide me with the most purest form possible, and be most beneficial to me overall. As, I was recently diagnosed with a medical scalp condition that even though I have been prescribed products to use towards treating it, I decided to try using pure aloe Vera in addition to such towards helping to treat my scalp condition too. Now, when it comes to what I use towards styling my hair, I only use natural styling aids and plan to continue to stick to doing so. I have come to learn that my scalp cannot deal with the use of certain additives, fillers, synthetic fragrances, and even some essential oils in products, as well.

Thank you for the wonderful information! It really helped!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file