Hi -- I'm struggling with my hair type!

bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Novice
Since discovering Naturally Curly, other curly bloggers, Devacurl and then this forum, I've thought of my hair as 3B. I was born with very curly hair and my mother has always taken care of it (iE, hot oil treatments and cholesterol treatments) even though she has 1A hair. I inherited my curls from my tight 3B haired father.

When I first learned about the typing, I thought that I was 3A. However, I noticed a tighter curl developing which is why I was considering myself a 3A/3B curl... but according to a post that I read, the 'flatness' that I have at the top of my hair shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if it's because since March that I started using Organix "Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Cream," that maybe that's why my curls became tighter.

Can using non-CG products cause a flatness in my hair? From what I read, I think that I'm 3B... but now I'm not so sure. I just ordered Lorraine's book from Amazon, so I haven't had much experience yet. I used DevaCurl products for the first time yesterday and noticed a huge difference in my hair!

Here's some photos of my hair without any products and washed/conditioned with sulfate, silicone shampoo and conditioners (I'm a few years late to discovering the CG method! :tongue5:) :
Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
  • Giovanni: Avocado and Olive Oil (RO), Tea Tree Sham & Con (CW/RO)
  • KC: KT, CC, CC
  • CR: CM, GR, AWB, Balm
  • CJ: DF, CIAB, SL, CR
  • CURLS: Souffle
  • AV Juice
  • EVOO

Comments

• bookgrdngirlbookgrdngirl Registered Users Posts: 403 Curl Novice
    Here's another photo. Like the other photo, this is what my hair looks like without any product and without following the CG method. Before learning about the CG method, I've just been using Herbal Essences my entire life with some deep conditioning treatments, hot oil treatments, a little random olive oil here and there and Cholesterol treatments spread out.
    Corkicelli multi-patterned 3B with 3A & 3C sections. High density, low porosity, norm-high elasticity & coarse. 3yrs without straightening. CG since 6/25/15. Methylisothiazolinone allergy. Protein sensitive. Cruelty free. :albino: BLOG :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
    Here's a close up of my curl shape.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    Perhaps a 3a? Upon seeing the curl pattern I think it is 3a/3b

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

BeautyOG wrote: »
    Perhaps a 3a? Upon seeing the curl pattern I think it is 3a/3b

Thanks so much! :love7:

Do you know if it's possible to be between textures? From what I read: not following the CG method could stop your curl potential. The bottom of my hair has tight very curly 3B curls (they look a lot like your profile picture) but the top of my roots tend to go flat at the root like you can see at the picture. I get curls like I posted all over but the roots are constantly flat. :P

I'm not sure if it's because of my hair cut or how I was treating my hair.

I guess after following the CG method, I will have to see what my curls look like then! :D

When I took the hair type quiz on here, it said that I was 3B.
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Neophyte
    Yes, you can be in between textures. I am a 3b/3c with some 3a at my crown.
    Im glad I could help! 😉

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

BeautyOG wrote: »
    Yes, you can be in between textures. I am a 3b/3c with some 3a at my crown.
    Im glad I could help! 😉

Thanks so much! It was making me feel wacky because I definitely see 3B in my hair texture. I just wish I knew why my bottom half is so tight and the my top half is looser. I guess I'll have to see if following the CG method will help my curls improve with their tightness and definition. :flower:
    • AV Juice
    • EVOO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file