Newbie 2B/2C overwhelmed!!!!

Cassei23Cassei23 Posts: 8Registered Users
Hello all! I'm new to this site, and am moderately overwhelmed and confused. Starting in 6th grade, my hair started sliding into 2a, then 2b, and now, quite a few years later, at 2c, getting poofier all the way. I was never really sure what to do about my wild hair, so unlike the hair of everyone I know, and *cringe* didn't really use any product besides shampoo, conditioner, and detangler. Now I'm here and want to cooperate with my hair, and I have no idea where to start! My hair is moderately fine but extremely thick and poofy. It's always frizzy and the curls are so undefined, I have a feeling I'd be a 2c/3a with the right care. My porosity is medium/high although I have never applied heat or chemicals to my hair. There are so many products out there, where should I start?!?! Sorry for the long post, and thank you all! :)

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi and welcome.

Many people here follow the CG method. You may want to consider getting the Curly Girl Handbook. There is much advice in there.
    One of the things to figure out is how often (or whether) you want to use shampoo. If you use products with non water-soluble silicones in them, you do need a shampoo to get them out. If not you can consider CO washing your hair. That alone helps put moisture back in your hair.
    With porosity, did you have a hair analysis to determine that? The float test described on this site is not accurate.
    Products take lots of experimenting to determine what works. With fine haired wavies, many need a strong hold gel. I use homemade gelatin hair gel; many on here swear by Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. Others use LA Looks sports gel or garner pure clean gel or ecostyler.
    I like the Sweet Curls Elixirs Crazy Curly Hard Hold gel; makes my hair curl up nicely.
    Ingredient reading is important. With fine hair you may find that your hair likes protein. Oils and butters probably need to be used in moderation.
    There is a product section on this site where you can read reviews and search for people whose hair has similar properties to yours. There is also curl mart, which has product reviews on it.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • Cassei23Cassei23 Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thank you so much! I'm not sure what you mean by hair analysis,I did do the float test to determine my porosity.that and sliding my finger up a strand of hair to feel if there were bumps. Is there a more accurate rest you suggest?
    The float test is not reliable. There are only two ways to figure out porosity:
    --get a formal hair analysis done (there's goose footprints on etsy and one other I don't recall). you collect hair, send it in, and they tell you your properties
    --Take a guess it by seeing how long it takes your hair to dry without product. Under 2 hours = low porosity. Between 2-6 hours = medium, and 6+ = low porosity

BTW, if you use silicones, you don't need sulfate shampoo to remove the cones; cocobetaine will also remove them and is gentler on the hair.
    If you want recs for more natural products I can make some, as I tend to use more naturally based products. Chemically based products, I know what people on here like, but have not used many of them myself.

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
    Hi :) I just had to hop in here and say that I think it's the other way around w/ the drying time.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 6+ hours is low porosity, 2-6 hours is medium, and under 2 is high porosity. High porosity hair gains moisture quickly & loses it quickly, so it dries faster. High porosity hair usually needs more protein, and low porosity hair usually needs moisture. Medium porosity needs more of a balance.

Anyway, cassei, I'm new here, too. :) I've only been doing the CG method for about two & a half weeks, and I've learned a ton so far. My suggestion to you is to just keep on reading & soaking up information, but don't get too overwhelmed about it!! You'll figure it out eventually! From what I can tell, figuring out what your hair wants takes a lot of trial and error.. Have fun with it. ;)

As for what products to start with.. I'm starting out with using the DevaCurl products. They're more expensive, so I'm probably going to be trying other things when I run out of my current stuff. I just figured it'd be a good place to start while I learn about other products.
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel
    Hm, I typed low porosity twice by mistake. Yes, the first one should have read high porosity.

3A/f/i
    I would actually say though that it's the other way around re: moisture and porosity. Low porosity hair tends to already be moisturized; it's higher porosity hair that loses moisture and thus, needs more moisture (and to seal in that moisture). Protein is often (but not always) correlated with hair strand thickness. In general thin hair likes protein (and can crave it). Medium hair likes it as well, though it can be overloaded. Coarse hair (which often has a higher protein content to begin with) generally dislikes protein. But these are generalities; individual results can differ.

3A/f/i
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
    Oh, right. My apologies. I'm just now learning all of this myself, so I get it all mixed up every now-and-then :)
    Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
    Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
    Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel

Leave a Comment