When to apply leave-in?

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I think I've read it around the site a few times and seen it hinted at on bottles of leave-ins that they should be applied in the shower. I usually plop my hair first and then re-wet with a spray bottle to apply it, and I always end up with a little more volume than I'd like. Could it be because of my application process, and what are the benefits/outcomes of applying your products immediately after co-washing as opposed to plopping first? Thanks!
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's all a matter of what works for you. While adding product doesn't have to be literally "in the shower," some of us need to add product to soaking wet hair. I can only add product to soaking wet hair. If I add it later, it doesn't absorb. My hair looks and feels "producty." Because of that, I wet, use a rinse out and style every day.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't plop, as I feel like it absorbs too much of my hair's moisture. I've seen people apply leave-in and stylers before plopping, I've seen people do it after. It is entirely what works for your hair. People do it differently depending on what their hair seems to like. You just have to experiment.

For me I rinse my hair and then squeeze some of the excess moisture out with my hands. Then I apply my leave-in and gel. No plopping or anything else.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have never understood why people dry the hair a little bit then spray with water and apply products. I think just add the products and skip a step. Although that you can blot enough so that your hair isn't soaking wet when applying the products.

At least for me product application technique will change how my hair turns out. If I don't apply products to soaking wet hair I will have afro styled hair with no definition at all. I prefer to have definition because no curl definition puts me at a frizzy ball by the end of day.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yyyyyaaaaayyyyy!

So I did a protein treatment earlier which allowed me to give this a try. I feel so ridiculous for having done my old process! I put my Eden Leave in and my Goddess Curls in when I was in the shower (water off) and the difference is stunning! I don't know why I even did it the other way, but I'm not doing it that way ever again! I even left my products in the rack with my conditioner so I don't forget!
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
    •Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
    •Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
    •CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file