Mandatory or Optional for Curlies?

JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
**Warning - Semi long post! Sorry, I just wanted to give as much information as possible because I see that helps sometimes with determining problems!

So for a few weeks now (maybe a month) I've been trying the curly girl method and ditched my shampoo completely, and stocked up on products that are silicone, sulfate and paraben free. I'm 6 months natural now, so I've been taking advice I find on here to keep my hair healthy. One thing that I've been noticing is that after the no-poo method, my hair feels softer, but is significantly less defined after every wash day. Then once I put in my DC, it's back to being curly again, but only for that day. The following few days I need a bit of product to bring my curls back to life, otherwise they are limp and even a little frizzy.

I read something last night about curlies possibly needing to use a shampoo WITH sulfates every once in a while just to thoroughly get rid of build-up. So this morning I did, and my hair was noticeably shinier, still soft, and much more curly than usual. I am still new to all of this, so my assuming that I might just need to use shampoo could be an erroneous observation, and I want to get a second, third, fourth, etc. opinion before stopping the CG method to add shampoos to my regimen.

I don't have a very active lifestyle; I am literally home 6 days out of 7 for the summer until I find a job. Usually Mondays are my wash days, and bi-weekly after a wash I do a DC. I do a protein treatment monthly (usually the end of the month). My hair is shoulder length, what I *believe* to be high porosity (it seems to absorb whatever goes in pretty well), and a 3b/3c mix as far as I can tell, however I have many split ends and a tiny bit of heat damage left over from my BC in May. I use TreSemme Naturals Silicone Free conditioner, Eden Bodyworks Leave-In, and Curls Goddess Curls for styling. Out of the shower I dry with a tee, and then spritz in a little more water and apply my products in sections.

Essentially what I want is definition, and it looks like I might be doing something wrong in achieving that. Or it could just be that because of the slight heat damage in certain places and the split ends, I am unable to see what the products are doing. I was just hoping for an opinion on whether or not the no-poo method is an absolute must, and/or if you guys think it is affecting the outcome of my hair or not. I know most of us on here aren't hair doctors or anything, but I have found that many are very knowledgeable about these things, so I figure it's worth asking!
Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

•Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture JBCO Hair Masque
•Conditioner: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•No-poo: One N' Only Island Essentials Awapuhi
•Styler(s): Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In, As I Am Curling Jelly.
•CG as of 12/?/2014, BC 04/?/2015. First CG cut 7/9/2015. :happy3:

Comments

• LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's mandatory although I don't exactly follow the CG method. I've also read that clarifying shampoos with sulfates are good to do every once in a while to remove build up however I still don't use sulfates bc it makes my hair instantly flake. However I do use sulfate free shampoos. I guess I do a sorta altered version of CG. My regimen is pretty basic. I use cowash majority of the month and 1-2 times a month I use a sulfate and paraben free shampoo and conditioner. It makes me feel as if any leftover product build up is thoroughly cleansed out and it seems to work fine for me.

Though everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you etc. I think if your concern is definition to definitely experiment and if you think shampoo is a necessity, try it. If it doesn't change the outcome at least you know right? I don't think any one method will work for everyone in the exact way it's said to. I think they're great ways to get a starting idea though and finding out what works for you. I started out cutting off all my damage and going sulfate paraben free etc and using wide tooth combs and my fingers which work great. However I had to experiment with how I applied product to get definition on my hair which took me a loong time to figure out. Ended up combining things from a few methods to achieve a desired result.

So my point is if you have to stray a little from a method I don't think it's a bad idea because you might come across something good even if it's only more knowledge :)

Sorry for the ramble lol

Sent from my LGMS323 using CurlTalk App
    3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    It really depends upon what type of water you have. When I had super hard water, I could never strictly cowash - I needed a shampoo. Now that I've moved and have a water softener, shampoos dry me out and I cowash mostly always - but still throw in a shampoo a couple times a month.

There's a misconception about sulfates being the only thing to get rid of buildup, that is simply false. Cocamidopropyl betaine is much gentler and will cleanse silicone buildup just fine. If you have hard water buildup, you need a shampoo with some composition of EDTA and/or citric acid (or even ACV rinse) - in my experience, a surfactant alone is not enough to cleanse away mineral buildup. There are also hard water treatments you can buy in place of a shampoo (Sally's).

So it really depends what your hair needs. Shampoos are not bad, but you have to choose the surfactant wisely. Decyl glucoside is also a very gentle surfactant, but it will not remove silicones or extreme mineral buildups.

Nothing is mandatory or optional. It's whatever works for you. Nobody is going to burn you at the stake because you aren't doing it "right". There is no right or wrong. If shampoo works, then use shampoo!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • JunyJuJunyJu Posts: 495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think that was a ramble at all, and thank you!

Everything you said definitely made sense. I do feel as if sometimes these methods make it seem as if straying or altering them can lead to a bad result, which always scared me into sticking to them as they're stated. But I suppose I should know better, considering the fact that I was previously using a product that contained silicones but gave me amazing definition, and as far as I could see, wasn't causing too much buildup.

And I believe I have heard about the hard water thing before. Is there any way to test your water to know if you have it or not? That could definitely be my issue as well...
    Medium texture, with some fine. Colored. High porosity, high density. 3b/3c; multicultural.

• LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Omg yea I know the feeling! I have a limited budget myself. I just recently mastered definition with my hair and you have no idea the irony I felt that the first products I bought were the ones that worked the whole time I just didn't apply them to my curls right bc I followed methods rather than experimenting in my own way! Lol

Finding the right products is definitely trial and error but what I do to save a bit of money and time is read reviews of the curl products on any sites I can as well as watch YouTube review videos and now that I know what works I look at consistency of products. My hair being thick makes me need thicker products rather than hair milks for example.

Oh yes water could definitely be an issue. My house is on well water so we have hard water and that could be why I need shampoo. My mom has a shower head that filters for her bc the hard water would mess up her hair dye from when she'd get her hair done in the salon every 5 weeks. There's a way to find out though I forget what it is.. maybe you can look into where you water supply comes from and they should be able to inform you on the water being hard or soft.

Sent from my LGMS323 using CurlTalk App
    3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    using a sulfate shampoo once in a blue moon shouldn't be a problem. I use a clarifying shampoo once a month. Quite frankly, I can hardly tell a difference because I've been CG for a year and a half so my hair is pretty healthy now.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

I guess with my hair I really won't be able to truthfully know what works or not because I still have some damage and split ends all over. I feel like I'm doing all of this, but in the end it just might be because my hair isn't healthy so it isn't acting like healthy hair should and not responding to products as it should because of that.

I just wish I had the money to go to a salon and get it fixed so I could really see what I'm actually working with :'(

But as far as my water, my mom said it comes from a water company (doubt that's helpful, lol). We live in a fairly large city, and I know it isn't from a well. Still could be hard water, though.

I think I'm done trying to follow everyone's methods and ideas, because I have seen things that work fine for my hair that others say was horrible for them. At the end of the day I'm slowly learning (what literally everyone else has been saying) that what works for one won't work for someone else, etc. I'm just gonna keep messing around and see what's what. But I do think a shampoo every couple of weeks would do me good, since our water is likely hard...

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You can find out if you have hard water from the water company, google water hardness for maps and look, etc. There are tests strips, too. I know one came with our espresso machine to use for the setup. There are products that have chelating ingredients such as EDTA, that dissolve the mineral build up.

Just because a product is technically CG doesn't mean it doesn't have ingredients that "build up" on your hair. My hair likes the more natural products without a lot of the chemicals. I stay away from polyquats, especially 4, 7 & 10. I know I have build up because of frizz when wet. It takes me a couple of shampoos to remove them.

I shampoo a few times a year when I use a product my hair doesn't like. When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to clarify.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Forgot to add that you can make your own FSG and okra gel. There are a lot of threads about doing it. That way, you can control your ingredients and it's cheap.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the tips and help!

I'm going to go google our area to check to see if we have hard water, and probably look up those recipes. I love DIY!

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm a wavy and a lot of loose wavies for sure need some more cleansing ability. However I just dilute (2 tsp to 4 oz water) a cheap clarifying poo like Suave and use it every now and again. Works fine. Not nearly as strong. Also there are plenty of low poos around that would probably act as well for anyone with drier hair.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I actually do have the Suave Naturals Poo, so I could try that. And I did find out that my area does have hard water.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you don't have a water softener and do not live in NYC, you probably have hard water.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm finding that I need a shampoo more often than I thought. When I shampoo my hair is curlier afterwards. I don't use sulfates, or even necessarily coco betaine (though I do sometimes). Since I don't use lots of chemicals, I don't strictly need the cocobetaine, though I'd use it if I used chemical products. I get buildup easily, both from chemicals, natural products, and hard water. I do an ACV rinse every wash. Sulfates aren't necessary per se, but how often to shampoo and/or chelate varies from person to person. Wavies may need more clarifying, and also IMO people with fine and/or low porosity hair, all of whom may be more vulnerable to buildup.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Yeah, my hair curls a lot more when I shampoo. I bought a sulfate-free shampoo (the one from Curls) and I'm not sure if it's cleansing my hair like I need it to. After I use it I still feel like I need to shampoo, and my hair even comes out a bit frizzy. I wash it out with a shampoo with sulfates, and my hair is shiny, curls more, and feels clean (I know the *squeaky clean* feeling is bad, but after a week of buildup I can't help but be grateful for it!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file