Wavy Roots, Curly Length

nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
So I'll start off by saying that I love the products I use, and my curls from my ears down look great. But above my ears? It's basically straight. Well, not straight, but very, very lightly waved. I've tried all sorts of techniques, applying more product, less product, plopping, etc. My stylist recommended finger curling the top of my hair, which I need to try, but I'm just curious as to what some of you curlies do. I wouldn't be so bothered if it at least had tons of volume, enough to kind of even everything out. Most of the time I pin my hair up on my sides, which hides the fact that my roots don't curl and looks super cute. But I really like the look of my hair down and parted to the side. Oddly enough, my roots seem curlier when my hair is longer! I hope this post is coherent enough to understand and respond to, I feel like I've just started listing off all of the random thoughts that have come into my head regarding this subject, lol. :P
Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly

Comments

• alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
    My hair is the same! (Except the long hair bit- my hair does better short). I am following this thread.... :)
    -2b/2c fine hair, easily weighed down

Currently using:
    Wash: Deva NoPoo
    RO: Deva One Condition
    Style: Deva Foam & LA Looks Sports Gel

Dry using a Curlformers Softhood

Experimenting with Organix Coconut Shampoo and Kinky Curly Custard
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Root curl is generally something that you either have or you don't (as long as you're already using good product and technique). Especially with wavy hair, curl or wave pattern will start at different lengths for different people (a great thing to keep in mind if you ever decide to go short). Different curl patterns will also respond differently to length. For example, even 2b hair can have some spiral curls at the ends of hair is long enough. Last the same time, 3a curls typically require at least shoulder length hair to show the curl pattern. Unfortunately there isn't really an easy answer. I would suggest clipping to increase root volume, if you don't already do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    My hair is like this as well - wavy roots and curls on the length. Clipping doesn't give me any more "root curl" than I would ordinarily have, but it does keep it from being plastered to the top of my head (more of an issue at the back - my bangs are are the only place I get any real root curl).

I have a shoulder length cut that is layered up pretty well and shorter in the front than in the back - and natural volume (read: a large diameter spiral that responds well to layering) that gives me more to the sides of my face where I need it. It suits me well! I'm sometimes of the opinion that the right cut is more important than the products I use, and I know that not every haircut is right for every head of hair. Don't be afraid to experiment!
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My bff's hair is like that too only her hair is straight at the top and wavy/curly on the bottom.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    Has anyone tried using dry shampoo? I'm really curious about dry shampoo and whether or not it would be considered "CG friendly". My hair tends to build up easily and it soaks up moisture like a sponge, sometimes becoming too moisturized, particularly at the roots. I clarify once every week or two, which helps greatly, but when I straighten my hair dry shampoo is a lifesaver when it comes to second day hair and volume. I think using a dry shampoo at my roots would give me the lift I'm looking for, but I'm not sure if most dry shampoos will rinse out with a sulfate-free shampoo or not. My stylist also recommended using a curling iron at the top, but I'm trying to stay away from the heat if I can. ;)
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    As long as your low-poo contains coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine (most do, Shea Mousture being the only exception I can think of off the top of my head), you should be able to remove just about anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file