Kinky Curly vs. Shea Moisture

LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm trying to decide which products to continue to buy. I know both work on my hair very well and I have a list of pros and cons but I'm curious if anyone else with long 3b curls knows how long either product lasts for them if it works.

What I like about kinky curly is I only have to buy the knot today leave in and the curling custard. I'm not only saving shelf space but also application time. It usually only takes about 10-15 mins to apply the products and it dries in about an hour. It also adds shine which I think is a nice addition. However I've noticed that I'm halfway down both containers and I don't think I've used it any more than MAYBE a dozen times. So I'm worried about how much product I'd potentially have to use.

What I like about shea moisture is it's available in walmart seeing as it's a bit out of the way to a target for KC. However the downsides to the products for me is the number of products I have to use to achieve the same result. I have to use a leave in, the curl enhancing smoothie, the gel souffle and I prefer the frizz free mousse because it has actually prevented the little frizz that I get that'll irritate me lol. It also can take anywhere from 1-20 hrs to dry. Unless it's hot summer weather where it dries in an hour it takes on avg closer to 12-16 hrs to dry completely. A slight problem is the leave in I prefer to use I can pretty much only find online and the mousse is sold in targets but not walmart. Seeing as it's more products as well they take up more space too.

When I compare them price wise I'm torn based on one issue which is frequency of purchase. Buying all the products in SM would cost me about $54 whereas KC is closer to I believe $30 or $38. However I'm not sure which would last longer bc by simple math it would be cheaper to buy whichever lasts me longer regardless of price for the line itself. Aka buying KC 4x a year costs me more than buying SM 2x a year.

So to get to the point since I rambled (sorry lol). I'm curious if anyone who uses either products can provide any insight to how long it lasts them before they need to purchase more? I'm going to test out how long the KC I have left lasts me and double it since I only have 50% of both bottles left and I have partially used SM and will use that through this summer to see how long it lasts me. So I'm just curious if anyone has any input? :) Sorry again for the long post.

Sent from my LGMS323 using CurlTalk App
3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
Length: Waist Length curly
Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sister I wish I cool could tell you but I only use SM leave in conditioners. I use ACV to shampoo and I buy organix conditioner, which is cheaper. 4.99 I think.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• Zemaria_xoxoZemaria_xoxo Posts: 30Registered Users
    I understand your struggle. They both are one of my favorite lines, and I always have to keep both in my stash.

When I first started using Shea Moisture I would buy all three products you mentioned. But I realized it was started to be too much moisture for my hair.
    Butttttt to be honest do you think you need all three. For example, the Curl and Style milk is a lighter version of the smoothie. They both are considered leave in's. I stopped using them both together because it was too much.

I challenge you to try just the milk and gel together to reduce your products.

And also with Kinky curly, I use the gel with a cheap leave in. I use tresseme radiant volume conditioner as a leave in. You get the exact results.

Good luck ❤️
  • LoveLongCurlsLoveLongCurls Posts: 53Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The curl milk is definitely too light for me as a styling product but I think if I fool around with it I can use it as a refresher. The leave in I use is a butter by SM. Now that you mention it however I'm styling my hair in a way that works everytime with my denman brush.. I think I'll leave out the separate leave in and only use the smoothie and gel and I only use 2-4 pumps of mousse. If that works well I'm definitely gunna quit buying the separate leave in bc it's hard to find and the price is just a bit more than I wanna bother with. I'll definitely look for that tresemme leave in and try it out with KC if it works just as well and is cheaper I might do that instead. I'm actually leaning more towards KC for the benefits of drying time and quick application but SM has always been good as well.. I'll definitely experiment though! Thanks!

3B, Thick, High Porosity, High Density
    Length: Waist Length curly
    Goal: Hip length curly/Classic length straight
    Beginning of hair journey: Sept. 27th, 2012 :)

Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Shampoo
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
  • HerbHerb Posts: 52Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The curl milk is definitely too light for me as a styling product but I think if I fool around with it I can use it as a refresher. The leave in I use is a butter by SM. Now that you mention it however I'm styling my hair in a way that works everytime with my denman brush.. I think I'll leave out the separate leave in and only use the smoothie and gel and I only use 2-4 pumps of mousse. If that works well I'm definitely gunna quit buying the separate leave in bc it's hard to find and the price is just a bit more than I wanna bother with. I'll definitely look for that tresemme leave in and try it out with KC if it works just as well and is cheaper I might do that instead. I'm actually leaning more towards KC for the benefits of drying time and quick application but SM has always been good as well.. I'll definitely experiment though! Thanks!

I really wanna try Shea.
  • babykicks03babykicks03 Posts: 53Registered Users
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE sm!

3B curls
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus conditioner as co wash and leave in
    ACV and honey rinse
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie for definition
    Curlkeeper

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji