Curl Technique

DKHDKH Posts: 19Registered Users
Please share your curl technique - shampoo, condition, style, drying. I'm always curious to see how other curlies go about their routine!

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,181Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This is a good thread! I'm interested also to read others routines. I am experimenting totally right now so it's a new routine every other day. I'm keeping a diary so hopefully when I hit the sweet spot I'll have a record and can duplicate it. Hopefully...!!!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wash every other day with As I Am Naturals Co-Wash (About every 10 days or so I'll clarify with Giovanni's tea tree shampoo)
    Condition- Once a week I DC (I love SM's Tahitian Monoi DC), once a week I use Aubrey Naturals GPB for protein, once a week I use a standard moisturizing RO
    Style- To soaking wet hair I apply a thumb-sized dollop of Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite as a leave-in (in the winter I use the heavier one) and then a small palm's worth of Mop Top Curly Custard, which I scrunch through my hair.
    Drying- In the winter, I'll plop for 20 minutes and then diffuse. In the summer, I plop and then air dry.

Hope that helps!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Oh I love reading other people's routines too! Figure I'll share mine :)

I wash 2-3x a week with Shea Moisture's Superfruit Complex Shampoo. I might cowash once in a blue moon if my hair feels super dry, but Shea Moisture shampoos are perfect for my hair's needs. After, I'll smooth some Tresemme Perfectly Undone conditioner in my length and detangle with a comb, then let it sit while I go about my showerly duties. I'll rinse it out, sometimes add a cold rinse if I feel like punishing myself (I like HOT showers :P)

With my hair flipped over, I'll scrunch in my leave-in conditioner. Currently, I'm using Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner. After that, I'll sometimes add a little personal lubricant if I feel my hair needs something extra ;D My final product is LA Looks Sport gel, and I scrunch in a metric ton of it! (Not literally) But the more the merrier. And scrunch and scrunch and scrunch some more. Maybe scrunch one more time just in case. Using a giant cotton T-shirt, I scrunch some of the water out and then plop. How long I plop depends on how long it takes me to get dressed and to clean up the inevitable mess I make in the bathroom. I know it'll be cleaner if I do it in the shower, but I like to see what I'm doing and there is no mirror in my shower :P

I'll take down the plop, maybe scrunch a little more and let it dry. LA Looks dries extremely crunchy in my hair, so when it's dry, I give it a good scrunch. If I feel I need it, I'll scrunch in a bit of Curls Whipped Creme Brulee or an oil to help defeat the crunch. If needed, I'll fluff my hair out a little with a pick too.

I diffuse if I need to be somewhere, but I try to plan my wash days around days/times I know I'll be home for a few hours. Of course, this isn't always feasible.

For deep conditioning, I use SM's JBCO masque maybe once every week or two.

If you want to see the results of my routine, just take a look at my avatar :)
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What I'm doing right now is I'm washing my hair twice a week with conditioner and clarifying with ACV twice a month or more. I will also either do a protein treatment or DC. Once I'm done washing, I'll either use SM yucca and plantain hair milk or SM Jamaica black castor oil leave in, Eco styler gel, and whatever I have one me to seal. So far it has been CO.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• DKHDKH Posts: 19Registered Users
    I've really been experimenting with different gels lately.
    I finally got a "Deva" cut and love it! And although the stylist recommended I use the ultra defining gel from Deva, I just don't like the results I'm getting.
    So, currently, to co wash, I use Eden Bodyworks Coconut. To RO I use Jessicurl Too Shea. Leave in, I use the Jessicurl or Darcy Botanicals Sweet Cream.

Now comes styling which I've had trouble with. At times, I use HE Set Me Up and like the results. I recently tried Aubrey Organics B5 Gel, but find if doesn't provide me with enough hold. Today I used Dippity Do Sport gel (similar to LA Looks) and like the result. I find I get better definition with diffusing but being 9 months pregnant, I'm realizing my days of taking my time getting ready are going to disappear. Any other gels that dry crunchy that anyone can recommend? I like the crunchy feel as I know my hair is going to be held and it's easy to SOTC.

I should mention I apply my styling products to soaking wet hair, upside down. Smooth, rake and scrunch them in. Then scrunch with a tshirt.
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I seem to have the best results with Deva Curl products: No Poo, One Condition, Ultra Defining Gel. Raking the OC through my hair and "noodling" it, then using a lot of the UD gel on soaking wet hair, scrunching it in. But the No Poo causes my scalp to break out if I use it regularly, and the products are too expensive for me to use on a regular basis.

Here's what it looks like:
    devacurl - 2.jpgdevacurl - 1.jpg

My less expensive routine that seems to work: LoPoo with The Body Shop Rainforest Balance Shampoo or Co-wash with TBS Banana Conditioner. Use Tresemme Perfectly Undone conditioner as RO, and a tiny bit of it as LI. Then use a lot of Tresemme Perfectly Undone Sea Foam (mousse).

Here's what it looks like:
    SeaFoam - 2.jpg
    SeaFoam - 3.jpg

I'm still experimenting with different products, as I'm still pretty new to the CG method.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file