Stopped co washing, losing much less hair in the shower..

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Yes - I went back to daily low pooing with SM's Fruit Moisture and conditioning with Giovanni Tea Tree (which i was co washing with) and have noticeably less hair loss in the shower. Anyone less? why would this be? In any case, I think I am quitting the cowashing at least for now.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I noticed the opposite happen to me. If I use aloe + glycerin vs shampoo, I get much less hair loss. But that might have to do with not scrubbing my scalp (my hair is quite fragile when wet). Maybe using shampoo more often helps your hair gets rid of buildup, be it product or hard water. I tend to use ACV every wash, so that at least helps. I suspect if I stopped using any product and did WO washing I'd be noticing much less hair loss.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My experience is that if I scrub or massage the scalp too hard, it will pull some hair out. Cowashing has always worked for me, but I've learned that the hair loss more so has to do with how much or little I'm working the scalp.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel i massage my scalp well with either cowashing or lowpooing.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Interesting, Myrna. Maybe your scalp does better with a low poo. There are so many variables!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to be careful with co washing as well. For a long time I just gave up on it but I recently tried it again with a conditioner that is formulated to be used in that way and I have been really pleased with the improvement to my hair. So far the only one I have found that I can co wash with is One Condition. I was going to try the tea tree tingle but now I may pass. My scalp (like the rest of my skin) is oily and so putting a heavy or overly coating conditioner on it is a no go (the same goes for my skin as well; I can only use very light weight, water based gel moisturizers).
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
    Me too, Testimony. I was using Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner, and still am, but not (at present) as a co wash. I love it because it IS light, and tea tree is slightly antiseptic. Is One Condition a Devacurl product? if not, who makes it?
    Yes; I am using the DevaCurl One Condition. I have been using it as an all around conditioner for about a month now and have been pleased. I was pretty surprised that it worked for a co-wash but so far so good (I can't say the same for their stylers but that is another story all together lol).

Products
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    I LOVE Deva's new Ultra Defining Gel. Its the bomb for me, my hair absorbs it and has no product-y feel. Have you tried it??
    I did and while I loved the way my hair looked it felt coated. That is the problem I have been having with a lot of their stylers but I found out today that I have probably not been applying the products correctly. My new stylist (I have a stylist now lol) said that I should be applying the gel to sopping wet hair and that I should also rinse out most if not all of the conditioner so I will be revisiting some products that I gave up on. I really hope it works because I have been really happy with the condition of my hair since going back to Devacurl and I would love to be able to stick with the entire line (not to mention the fact that I am tired of trying new stuff).

Products
    Testimony: Yes! I too resisted applying products to soaking wet hair. I still dont do that, exactly - I blot gently, then apply. I also was trying to leave in some conditioner - and I stopped that too, with better results. I think we both have LP hair - more or less - and I think that the fact that products sit on LP hair is challenging. In any case I really love the UD Deva gel, Love it. It just melds into my hair and the curls just start forming. You have a LOT of hair - if you like the UD gel, you will be buying the big bottle on line, which is what I have done. But I will say this: while I do not use the Deva cleansing products, the HG products for me are the UD gel, and the Deva foam, which I apply sparingly to the crown. I have not found any other products that perform as well. Let us know how you are liking your new routine!
    Myrna, I suspected that we might have similar properties; it always seemed like we would have the same kinds of issues. I will definitely give the UDG another try once I get through this last bit of LDG and I will update once I get a few washes in with the new techniques!

Products
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    Me!

I have tried getting cowashing to work so many times for my hair. Some cowashes agreed with my hair, while others didn't. However...they all had one thing in common....and that was the horrible shedding.

I get losing a good size hairball is expected when the only time you detangle your hair is in the shower, but I'm talking clumps upon clumps of hair would be falling out of my scalp with cowashing.

To see of cowashing really was the culprit of my shedding, I started using a TT to remove sheds before washing. When I washed with shampoo, I'd lose about 20 hairs. With cowashing, it was the clumps and clumps and clumps of hair. Once I saw that removing sheds didn't improve the situation, I ditched the cowashes and cowash conditioners and went right back to my SM shampoos.

To me, SM shampoos give me the same results as cowashing (soft, moisturized hair that never feels dry after washing) only without the horrid shedding.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I may actually be changing my verdict on this. I've washed every day lately so that might be why I have been noticing less hair loss when I shower. I've also used shampoo every time. I could see how buildup weighs down my hair (and possibly makes it more vulnerable to falling out).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file