Frizzy, undefined hair

CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
okay, so..
I started the CG method almost a week ago, and I got a diffuser a few days ago. I've been using the devacurl products (no-poo, one condition, light defining gel, set it free) and I love the no-poo & conditioner, but I'm not very happy with the gel. My hair has still been frizzy, fluffy, and not defined.. It didn't even feel like I had product in my hair, actually. I figured maybe I didn't use enough of it. So I grabbed a different gel at the store just to try something new (herbal essences totally twisted gel). I tried the herbal essences gel next time I washed it and I also tried out my diffuser. I don't think the gel helped my hair much; it seemed like it weighed it down or something, because I barely even had curls. Just waves.. So this morning I used the devacurl gel again, and I used more of it, and I also tried using the diffuser again. My hair is still frizzy, undefined, and not very curly. Maybe I used TOO much gel?.. Or still not enough? How much gel am I supposed to use?! It still feels like I have no product in my hair.

Or perhaps I'm diffusing it wrong or something? The diffuser seemed to make my curls a different shape than they were when I let them air dry. But all I did was put hair into the diffuser thing and bring it up to my head, and then turn it on and hold it there for awhile, and then I turned it off and did another section of hair like that.

I'm just not really understanding what's going on with my hair, and I'm a little frustrated. :( I completely understand that it'll probably take time for my hair to get used to the CG method and truly start looking good, but I'm just having trouble styling it. I'll attach a pic of what it looks like right now (I guess I'll just wear a ponytail today lol).
Started CG method on June 14th, 2015.

Currently 2b/2c
Medium/high porosity
Medium/fine texture
Protein-loving

I have a hair blog! :) check it out: http://carefreecurls.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @CalicoKitties

Current HG products-
Cleanser: NYM's clean freak shampoo, SheaMoisture's Fruit Fusion Shampoo
Conditioner: NYM's clean freak conditioner, DevaCurl's One Condition
Styler(s): Jessicurl's Spiralicious Styling Gel

Comments

• CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    I have pretty short hair, and when I went for my Deva cut, the stylist put A LOT of the Deva gel in my hair. So when I first went CG and was using the Deva Curl products, I was also using a LOT of gel, applying it to soaking wet hair in the shower. So you may need more gel. Or you may need to experiment with different techniques - some people have success raking products in, some scrunching them in, etc.

Your hair might also need a deep conditioning or protein treatment.
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • CalicoKittiesCalicoKitties Posts: 101Registered Users
    Hmm.. How do I do a protein treatment (or a deep conditioning treatment for that matter)?

I'll try using more gel next time. :)

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • CaylynnCaylynn Posts: 117Registered Users
    Hmm.. How do I do a protein treatment (or a deep conditioning treatment for that matter)?

I'll try using more gel next time. :)

There's currently a post on the "main" board about them:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/177076-deep-treatments-protein-treatments-whats-your-routine.html
    Canadian - 2A/2B - chin length, med/avg porosity, medium texture, thick density (but thinning)
    Group fitness instructor & marathon runner - need to wash daily
    Low-poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Co-wash: Tresemmé Naturals
    RO: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    LI: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone, Sukin Protein
    Stylers: Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Foam, Andalou Naturals Sunflower & Citrus Gel, Giovanni Naturals Mousse
  • wavycurlywhirlywavycurlywhirly Posts: 1Registered Users
    You could try using a leave in conditioner before the gel.
    That might help with the frizz.
    And the devacurl gel doesn't always work on everybody :(
  • alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
    Although I love my deva cut and my deva conditioner, the gel just didn't do anything for me. No definition, and made my hair kinda poofy. (I wrote the recent thread on "kinky curly" under "2", if you want some background on my crazy experiment called HAIR! :)
    -2b/2c fine hair, easily weighed down

Currently using:
    Wash: Deva NoPoo
    RO: Deva One Condition
    Style: Deva Foam & LA Looks Sports Gel

Dry using a Curlformers Softhood

Experimenting with Organix Coconut Shampoo and Kinky Curly Custard
    I'll take a look at that thread, Alex :) yeah I'm starting to think my hair just doesn't like their gel...at least not the light gel. It's less curly every time I use more of it. :/ I may try their ultra defining gel though.

I do leave in some conditioner; after I shower I put a bit of the "one condition" back in my hair since it says on the bottle to do that for extra moisture.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Do you pixie diffuse?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free Many of us started out with Deva, thought we liked it and then moved on to things we like a lot more.

The Deva NoPoo has Polyquaternium-7. That and polyquats 4 and 10 cause a lot of issues for me. Coat my hair and are hard to remove. I know there's a problem because I have frizz when wet. I use the more natural products that don't have a lot of chemicals.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes chupie, I've been pixie diffusing. It worked a little better when I tried it again yesterday (although the curls began to loosen up after awhile).

Thanks for letting me know about the polyquats, kathy. Maybe I won't use the no-poo next time to see if it makes any difference.

You know, I'm beginning to think I might need to do a protein treatment like Caylynn mentioned earlier. I realized that my shampoo & conditioner that I was using before have keratin in it, and my hair always loved those products.. Should I try a protein treatment? What would happen if my hair doesn't like the protein?... Or should I just try a deep conditioning for moisture before trying a PT?

Also - I've been trying to figure out my hair properties for like a week now, but I just can't seem to do so. :/ I'm pretty sure my hair is medium texture (I'm going to attach a picture & see if y'all think it's medium), but I can't for the life of me figure out my porosity. I've slid my fingers up several single strands of hair and I guess I just don't know what to feel for. Am I supposed to do it with multiple strands together? I've done the float test thingy, too. I filled my sink with water and dropped a few shed strands of hair onto the water, and they all floated. I tried submerging a few after like 6 minutes by poking them down & they sunk, so that confused me a little. :P

anyway, here's a pic of my hair to try to show you the texture

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Most of the "home" porosity tests are notoriously unreliable. Other then a microscopic evaluation, drying time is a better indicator--naked hair 6+ hours is low, less then 2 is high, in between is medium.

Here's a link to CJ Marsha's blog Curl Junkie - Natural Hair Care for all types of Curly Hair!: My 2 cents on Protein/Texture/Porosity/Moisture Balance! :-) She gives visuals of texture, so you can compare.

Density is how much hair you have on your head. They usually go by pony tail circumference. Another way to tell is if you can see through to your scalp. Looking at a few strands of hair really doesn't tell anything :)

Unless you remove the polyquats, changing your shampoo really won't show you much. For me, I have to use a stronger surfactant (SLS) for a few shampoos to remove them. REALLY clarify and start with a clean slate.

I've been told that protein overload makes your hair "hard" and dry feeling. My hair loves protein, so I've never experienced this.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oh! In that case, my hair is probably medium. It definitely doesn't take 6+ hrs to dry, but not under 2 either. More like 3 or 4 hrs.

Also, oops. I meant to say texture, not density. My bad! I'll fix that lol

Thanks for the tip :) I'll take a look at the link.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You can always test a protein product on an underneath section of hair if you aren't sure it will respond well.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Hi guys!

Today, I let my hair air-dry with no product on it other than some conditioner. The front sections of my hair on both sides dried in about 45 minutes, and the rest of my hair dried in about two and a half hours. So, my hair is both high porosity and medium porosity, then?

Also, I tried a protein treatment yesterday. :) It seemed to help a little, but didn't really make that much of a difference.. I did only use half of the gelatin packet, though, so I think I'll try using the whole thing next time. How long should I wait until I do it again?? Also are you really supposed to only leave it on for just 3-5 minutes? It seems like that's barely enough time for anything to happen lol.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Deva Curl products work better for me on non-humid days because the glycerin in them can make my hair prone to frizz. Things that help me are reducing the amount of glycerin I use on my hair and increasing the amount of protein I use.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
    Thanks for your response, bookgirl! :) I'll have to do some reading about glycerin.. Haven't really looked into that much yet. but did you see my latest post to this thread (post 14)? I had a couple of new questions.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • Hannah.ReillHannah.Reill Posts: 37Registered Users
    I also tried the DevaCurl products when I started CG last summer and I found that the other products were fine (possibly great but hard to tell since my hair was adjusting), but the Light Hold Gel just didn't cut it for me. So I moved on to other gels with a stronger hold, SM Curl Souffle worked well and Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel also works well over a leave-in conditioner (not super natural but cheap and does the job). If you're attached to the DevaCurl products, definitely try the Ultra Hold gel - my hairdresser recommended it to me and I liked it a lot (went through 2 bottles since then). It actually holds my curls/waves where the light gel did nothing for my thick hair.

Definitely experiment with the different treatments people have suggested but maybe look into gels with stronger hold. You might get a little crunch in your hair but that should be easy to scrunch out when your hair is dry.
    2Bish, very thick! CG since 8/2014

Favorites:
    Shampoo: SheaMoisture, Original Moxie
    Cowash: As I Am Cowash
    Conditioner/Leave-in: CJ Smoothing Lotion, Original Moxie Everyday
    Stylers: Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha, Jessicurl Spiralicious, Original Moxie
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi guys!

Today, I let my hair air-dry with no product on it other than some conditioner. The front sections of my hair on both sides dried in about 45 minutes, and the rest of my hair dried in about two and a half hours. So, my hair is both high porosity and medium porosity, then?

Also, I tried a protein treatment yesterday. :) It seemed to help a little, but didn't really make that much of a difference.. I did only use half of the gelatin packet, though, so I think I'll try using the whole thing next time. How long should I wait until I do it again?? Also are you really supposed to only leave it on for just 3-5 minutes? It seems like that's barely enough time for anything to happen lol.

Yes, with that kind of dry time, your front pieces are high porosity, and the rest of your hair is medium porosity. It's fairly common to have more than one porosity type on the same head of hair, just like it's very common to have more than one curl type on the same had. For instance, many find their hair is low porosity at the root, medium at the midshaft, and highly porous on the ends.

1/2 packet gelatin and 3-5 minutes is probably a minimum (safe) amount /time. For my fine textured, armpit length hair, I didn't get "wow" results from the gelatin pt till I used a whole packet of gelatin and left it on for 15 minutes (baggied) before rinsing. At times I've left it on for up to 30 minutes before rinsing with no ill effects. CG made an immediate difference in how my hair felt, but I absolutely need a regular pt for optimal curl and frizz control (I get soft frizz when it's under-proteined).

If you noticed a positive difference, not dry /straw-like hair, then you haven't overloaded on protein. So, if you want, feel free to try again today (or tomorrow). Typically if you feed hair more protein than it needs, it will feel dry or even straw-like, and won't clump well. See here for a blog post with pics. Definitely though, your hair will tell you when it's had enough protein, you just need to pay attention.

Many will say to follow a pt with a dt (deep moisture treatment), but it's better to follow with moisture on an as needed basis. If the pt leaves your hair silky smooth /soft, you may want to opt for light moisture or even skip the followup conditioner and just apply your stylers as usual. If on the other hand, the pt leaves your hair feeling dry, tailor your moisture to the level of dryness you're feeling. Very dry? You may need a dt. Only somewhat dry? Use a good moisturizing RO and/or LI. For my fine hair, I never dt (leaves my hair as limp as a wet dishrag), but do use a richer RO or LI as needed.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Thanks for all your help & tips, guys! :) I really appreciate it. I'll try another protein treatment tomorrow w/ a whole pack & perhaps leave it on for an extra minute or two. Yeah when I tried it the other day I was definitely going for the minimum since it was my first one & wasn't sure how my hair would react.. But my hair has never felt straw-like or crunchy (not even sure what that would feel like in my hair lol!); it's always been soft. It was soft as ever after the PT I tried, so I don't think it'll react badly to the protein.

I'm just now beginning to realize that it's okay to use more product in my hair than what I'm used to. :P Before CG, I always blow dried my hair straight, and if I used too much product it would look greasy.. So I barely used anything. But now it's like it just soaks in whatever I put on it. It's just kinda weird to get used to haha!

Yeah, the garnier gel was one that I was considering trying, but then I saw "silicate" in one of the ingredients & wasn't sure if it was CG friendly or not.. Sounds like a combo of silicone AND sulfate. LOL. So I didn't get that one. ;)

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • wavypenwavypen Posts: 253Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know if this helps you, but if I put too much protein in my hair (and I did today hahaha), the first thing I notice is that it starts tangling wet, new tangles with whatever still on it, and then if it continues I get the straw-like effect. I only got the full on straw thing once, and it took me several deep conditions to get it back to normal. But if I get just a little too much protein, like today, and it's tangling then I will use a deep conditioner and it's fine.

I have not, on the other hand, ever managed to over condition my hair, and I have a heavy hand with conditioner, even the really rich stuff.
    wavypen wrote: »
    I don't know if this helps you, but if I put too much protein in my hair (and I did today hahaha), the first thing I notice is that it starts tangling wet, new tangles with whatever still on it, and then if it continues I get the straw-like effect. I only got the full on straw thing once, and it took me several deep conditions to get it back to normal. But if I get just a little too much protein, like today, and it's tangling then I will use a deep conditioner and it's fine.

I have not, on the other hand, ever managed to over condition my hair, and I have a heavy hand with conditioner, even the really rich stuff.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I did end up getting too much protein in one section of my hair. It just sorta feels rough, hard-ish, & kinda stringy, but not all of my hair. Just that one section. So last night I put some EVOO & conditioner in that section of my hair & left it overnight. I'm about to wash it out. Hope it helps. :) lol I haven't gotten any deep conditioners yet so that's all I got for now.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for all your help & tips, guys! :) I really appreciate it. I'll try another protein treatment tomorrow w/ a whole pack & perhaps leave it on for an extra minute or two. Yeah when I tried it the other day I was definitely going for the minimum since it was my first one & wasn't sure how my hair would react.. But my hair has never felt straw-like or crunchy (not even sure what that would feel like in my hair lol!); it's always been soft. It was soft as ever after the PT I tried, so I don't think it'll react badly to the protein.

I'm just now beginning to realize that it's okay to use more product in my hair than what I'm used to. :P Before CG, I always blow dried my hair straight, and if I used too much product it would look greasy.. So I barely used anything. But now it's like it just soaks in whatever I put on it. It's just kinda weird to get used to haha!

Yeah, the garnier gel was one that I was considering trying, but then I saw "silicate" in one of the ingredients & wasn't sure if it was CG friendly or not.. Sounds like a combo of silicone AND sulfate. LOL. So I didn't get that one. ;)

The silicate ingredient is a thickener, not a sulfate or silicone. That gel is CG friendly.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Oh! In that case, I just might try it sometime. That's good to know because I've seen silicate before in another product and avoided it too :/

The EVOO & conditioner did get rid of the straw-like feeling, but I think my hair has some buildup or something. It just doesn't feel clean even though I washed it today lol. It's felt like that for a few days.

Currently 2b/2c
    Medium/high porosity
    Medium/fine texture
    Protein-loving

Current HG products-

Leave a Comment