Uncle Funky's Curly Magic for wavies?

BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
Hi!
I'm still looking for a gel for my fine, low porosity, 2C hair and I'm thinking about trying one of these:

Camille Rose Naturals Curl Maker
Uncle Funky's Curly Magic
Darcy's Curling Cream Gel

Do you think they'd work? Has anyone here tried them?
Thanks

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've only tried one, the CRNCM. Most folks like it but for me it was heavy and pulled out the curl. I'm allergic to the fragrance in it anyways so maybe it was for the best.
    I was curious to try UFDCM. But I read it elongates curls and I ideally want shrinkage. So I was hesitant to spend the $ on it. But if you try it, feel free to post your thoughts. :)
    Darcy's I've never tried.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is fine/low porosity, too. I started out as a winter wavy/summer 3a. Learned a lot about my hair on nc.com, so now it looks like my signature picture all year around. My hair HATES castor oil, so the only one of those products I use, and love, is the UFD Curly Magic.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
    naturecat, does your hair get easily weighed down? Mine does, I can't use a LI (from what I've tried at least..) because it goes all limp.

kathy, is it true that Curly Magic elongates the curls? From your picture, I guess not?
    Also, does the FSG provide shortage and hold?

thanks
    Oh, yes, indeed, my hair gets weighed down easily and the curl pulls out.

For a leave in, might I recommend Spiral Soutions Repairing Protein Treatment. It's going out of business but you could stock up on it. For me, I just tried it as a LI for the first time and it was amazing. Normally all LIs will pull out my curl. But since I have baby fine hair the heavy amount of proteins in it help tons. The only other LI I was ever able to use is Andalou Organics. But I find the SS to be better thus far, at least in the summer for me.

@Kathymac, ah, I bet it was the castor oil my hair didn't like in CRNCM. Even though some of my hair is higher porosity than before, with low density fine hair I feel my hair still acts somewhat low porosity. If you like UFDCM I'm curious to try it, as our properties are somewhat similar. But you have stronger curl, so that could factor in. I'm curious too--do you find it elongates the curl at all?

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    I'm looking for the tightest curl possible, so wouldn't use a product that elongated :) I like both FSG and okra gel. It provides moisture and the other ingredients I use give my hair what it likes. My hair doesn't need a lot of hold, anymore, so it's not really something that I look for at this point. For me, protein is REALLY important. My hair never met a protein it didn't like.

I've always had what people described as a "fragile" curl. when I look at pictures from before I learned about my hair here on nc.com, I'm shocked to see how little curl I had. It was learning how to take care of it that tightened the curl pattern and made it more "stable."
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlimundaBlimunda Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks!! I might try it the UFD then. I hope it lasts a long time because it's really expensive for me.
    Do you use the FSG everytime you wash? Do you use anything else together with it?
    I'm not really sure what my hair likes yet.
    Blimunda wrote: »
    Thanks!! I might try it the UFD then. I hope it lasts a long time because it's really expensive for me.
    Do you use the FSG everytime you wash? Do you use anything else together with it?
    I'm not really sure what my hair likes yet.

I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use any one product more then once a week, if that. When the dewpoints are low, I use a leave in AND curl enhancer with a jelly product; when the dewpoints are high, I use a leave in OR curl enhancer with a jelly product. In between, I assess what I need.

It's all a learning curve. A lot of trial and error.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks so much for the advice Kathymack; I may try UFDCM. My hair tends to prefer more natural products as well, and with SS going out of business I need to look for some alternatives.
    My hair also satiates on product easily, and I need to learn the art of alternating. I tend to be someone who wants to use everything every time I wash. Then I wonder why I didn't get the "wow" I got the first time with it. :)

3A/f/i
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've used the Camille Rose and Uncle Funky Daughter's and like them both. I tend to like the UFD more in the low dews and winter time and KCCC more in the high dews/summer time. I haven't played around much with the CR but it worked well for me in the late spring!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    UFD Curly Magic is one of my favorite stylers! Haven't tried the other two so can't comment there. I squeeze in UFD CM into my wet hair in the shower then air dry. It's given me pretty consistent and nice results.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list