Hair Type, Help?!

MiraaklesMiraakles Posts: 24Registered Users
My hair type is between 2c & 3B, that i'm sure about. But i'm not sure which one.. As you can see.. I have some loose spirals but I also have a lot of waves.. It's a weird mix.. Soo maybe 3A? I don't think i'm 3B because it's extremely curly and I watched a video where a little girl had 3B and our hair didn't at all look the same.

Even if I don't have an exact match, does anyone have my hair type? If it helps, when I comb it out it's pretty much really big, frizzy & wavy. Everywhere I read the mention how 2C hair is course and get's frizzy easily, that part sounds exactly like my hair. I just need to know what to do for MY hair. Because nothing else works. :/

Comments

• BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Humm... You look like a 3b... It also looks like you have heat damage so it's hard to tell.

Not all curly hair is the same. One 3b head could have more spirals and another 3b could have more waves with one or two spirals at the ends.

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• MiraaklesMiraakles Posts: 24Registered Users
    No, I don't have heat damage. :/ That's my hair and it's completely healthy.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I see 3c too.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Ohhhh I wish. My sister is a 3C, I definitely don't have any of that. Wish i did have her hair though. Ten times easier to take care of. I'd kill to have her hair. She can just take two pieces, twist it and it will stay. What you probably see is most likely the crappy random frizz that my dad gave me.

Is it possible to be a 3a/3b mixed? I saw a picture of Jhene Aiko who is apparently a "3A" maybe she was going off a different chart, but my hair looks like hers until it dries and then it frizzes out and becomes puffy... I guess I need to figure out correct hair care and how to put my hair up as well.
    It's quite possible to have different curl types; most people do. I can range from 2a to 3a bits. I still think I see some 3c in there. I know that different products/techniques etc can drastically influence curl type. You might be surprised at what you have. I would love to have your curl!

3A/f/i
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    Wow, ok, well then I might say you have a unique mix of curl patterns. I looks like you could be a 3b 3c and 2c.

My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree that your hair has a mixture. I think it is 3C from the roots and the ends 3B. However, 3c, a, etc. doesn't really mean anything. The most important thing is the hair properties. Once you determine that you can use products best suited and your "true" curl pattern can be seen.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    Ahhhh it's even more complex than I thought, lol. I figured 2c because my roots and just a little further down are wavy, but then very loose spirals and weird waves start. So I thought maybe 3B... If it's a mix I'm not quite sure what to do or where to start..

Any idea's?

I know what to do and how to wear it when I comb it out. Because it's literally just big and wavy. So when I put it in braids and go to sleep, just take them loose in the morning and go. :p Surprising, it's tame and holds for a while.
    You could try pin curls, that might help. https://youtu.be/7vWiGXSANTs

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Also have you ever color treated your hair?

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Like dyed it? Yes, actually it's dyed now. First time was red and then I tried to go brown but uhh it looks brunettish as you saw. I got frustrated when nothing would work so I figured I'd just dye my hair! Something went right for once.

I tried that before! But in a different way. It kind of worked.. but my hair just frizzed back up after a while.
    I know of quite a few people who dyed their hair, multiple times mid you, and the ends became wavy. The hair was very healthy but the ends were wavy from the color treatment. I'm not trying to say your hair is damaged, just saying your pattern may be altered or changed by the way you treat it. For example, my hair was curlier (about a year ago) because I was using the wrong products. Now I'm using better products and my hair is a looser curl pattern and it's healthy.
    Look at your hair routine, and see if there may be anyways you could improve.
    I'm racking my brain trying to help you because, honestly, you look like a 3b 3c.

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd say 3C with some 3B thrown in! Definitely don't think you're a 2
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with 3b with some 3c. 2s don't have as much curl or root curl as you do. Your hair looks like you're not using the right products and/or techniques. The frizz looks as if you're not getting enough moisture, which makes sense since you're dyeing it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
    @BeautyOG I understand, I don't mean to shoot you down. Especially since I asked for help. But my hair has ALWAYS been that way. Before I dyed it, still like this. Maybe a bit curlier though i've noticed. While i'm not sure what it is, i'm confident it's not 3C. The pieces that look like 3C are my shorter pieces of hair.

@Multi .. I've only died it twice though and it's been almost 7 months. And it was a whole year before I dyed it again. I make sure to put on all the right products as well after I dye it because.. I love my hair! lol

Should I take better pictures? Just so. I mean, all of you have said 3b. So that's like a certain thing. I'm a 3B mixed with something but I confident it's not 3C. So should I take pictures?
    Personally, dying for me took away definition, volume, and thus less curly appearance. I need more product to get it in shape, whereas before I styled with gel only. Even if it's been awhile since you dyed, the damage is generally there until you cut the hair you dyed off (though each person varies in how they react to it).

You could try taking more pictures and see if that makes it easier to identify curl type. Especially after adding moisture… for me the more definition I have the easier it is to see curl pattern. As opposed to before dying, I didn't need to do anything to bring the pattern out. Now I have to go through this whole song and dance.

3A/f/i
    Yes, take a picture of your whole head of hair from the back. that would help a lot.

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Okay! I'll do it after I wash it! I got a hair mask to help the curl/wave embrace a bit and it's supposed to deal with the frizz so I guess we will see.
    Are you using gel? Your frizz is from dryness and/or wrong products and techniques. You can be in denial but your curl pattern does seem mostly 3b with some 3c. A 3b can have wavy roots. 3s hair doesn't lay flat against the scalp the way a 2's hair does. Pattern actually isn't important. It's your hair properties.

The amount of frizz you have means you're missing moisture and/or protein or you need a gel. Your hair doesn't look like it naturally would have all of that frizz. Your hair does look healthy so the frizz may be your products or styling techniques.

@Multi I wouldn't really call it denial... I just am not confident with 3C, I don't see it.. I don't see anything wrong with a 3C, btw.. And I'd like to think it's probably my "styling techniques". Though I don't do much. It just frizzes easily. It's annoying but I don't really see it as a bad thing, it's me. Ya know?

Edit: Actually, I think I might unintentionally touch it too much. Apparently that's a way to mess up and frizz.

Anyway, Here are the pictures...
    https://40.media.tumblr.com/a93656c3475b7822f095b1f122428ac9/tumblr_inline_nqbemuWeIk1tr5ze0_540.jpg
    https://41.media.tumblr.com/11eed4692000cf6dfb2eadf6d39385aa/tumblr_inline_nqbemeJAwX1tr5ze0_540.jpg

My mom thinks 3A/3B. I'm starting to see it. Only reason I mentioned 2c was because when I comb it out it looks like this.. Which is why i'm soo confident about there being no 3c.. I just don't feel it should be this "straight".. if only I could show my a picture from my picture day when i was younger when I wore it like down below.. nothing has changed... well that's a lie, it's thicker for sure.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7b27b44b77a4a199a5ff3b57035474d3/tumblr_inline_nqbeucyjuh1tr5ze0_540.jpg
    In those pictures, especially the 2nd one, I'd say you're 3c. Your curls have that tighter circumference that 3cs have. When you comb it out it completely changes the curl pattern, for anyone. How easily it straightens may have to do with different properties (thickness of hair strands etc) rather than strictly curl pattern.

3A/f/i
    I lean more towards the 3b/3a mix.. My spirals are loose. Only a few strands are a bit curlier.. And I found a post with 3C subtypes and none of them match me. But lots of 3B/3A subtypes are spot on. I really think I am 3b/3A.

And that makes sense.. I just didn't think the curls would like... vanish. Cause of others i've watch on youtube and what not.

Before I hit reply I went to look at 3C stuff again because I just don't understand where y'all are getting this from but NOW i see a little bit of what where y'all are getting at. I still believe I am more 3B/3A though. :) Especially since I followed one of the quick tips on 3B, because so many replied with 3B, "Use stylers like gels and creams that promote curl definition and offers serious frizz control"... I said earlier I got a hair mask that controls frizz and I see an immediate improvement. Because in the pictures above normally it would be frizzier. :D
    Rachel True. Now I see it. (less her hair was relaxed in the picture i'm looking at) https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/570505792457936896/PCYicVRG.jpeg

This is more accurate than the websites 3C picture cause I'm not that. And i'm not any of the subtypes I saw.. But that above^ I have a some hair that looks like that. .... But she should be in the 3B category cause of how loose her spirals are... according to the website and other hair charts i've seen... ... i'm getting a headache

So I'm mostly a 3B and whatever Rachel is with a little 3A. Welp. Narrowing it down so i'm happy ^-^ Almost there.

Edit: ...... I'm a Bernadette Peters mixed with Rachel True
    http://40.media.tumblr.com/e16f4fc547632614fab7789bca86161d/tumblr_mnelacKApQ1rj28rmo1_1280.jpg
    https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/570505792457936896/PCYicVRG.jpeg
    With hair type, most folks go by curl pattern only. Other properties don't necessarily apply. What products you use, frizz control, etc has far more to do with the hair's other properties than curl pattern. Thickness, density, porosity are all independent of curl type. So with 3s, it's the looseness and circumference of the curl. Since your ringlets are more of a pencil width, that's where we're getting 3C from.
    OTOH, styling and products can also greatly influence hair type. For instance, many of us with air dried, product-less hair, would be a completely different curl type. Proper styling, technique, and product would take me from a 2 to a 3. Without product, air dried I'm more like a 2A.

3A/f/i
    I always air dry and the only product I use out the shower would be a humidity serum. My hair changes with the weather. My best seasons would be Fall and Winter.. Though I only like Fall.

And okay, I understand now. So some of my curls are pencilish width but they don't coil so tightly. It's loose. And that's how they stay in the picture above^ And that's my hair length.. (maybe a bit longer if I flat iron)

Alright. Okay. Well i've come to the conclusion that i've got some unique hair going on. :p So i'm definitely 3B cause everything in the description is spot, not to mention the subtypes matching me. But then I've got a few 3C subtypes curls only without the very tight coil.... Since I early on assume 3B was the way to go, as I said, I do see improvements in my hair. Curls are looser but they are actually THERE instead of frizz. :D Ahh this pleases me.
    Thank you all by the way. This kind of took forever and I just wanted to be absolutely postie. Cause i've tried so much and I didn't wanna just go with the first hair type someone mentioned.
    Make sure to get a hair properties test eventually. Goisefootprints on etsy is highly recommended by lots of NC users. Curl pattern has nothing to do with texture and porosity, which affect the products your hair will positively respond to. Two people with the same curl pattern may use completely different hair products depending on whether their strands are fine or coarse and tgeir porosity. By the way, you may want to experiment with leaving some conditioner in as a styling product.

Ok great! Glad you are satisfied! 😉

My Hair:

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Got it! Thank you again. ^_^ I'm really excited now. The more I look at Miss/Mrs. Peters hair the more I see me. Just gotta find the right products now.
    I <3 Bernadette's hair too. I am happy to hear you are having luck with your hair. Also, if the only product you are using is a serum, that may explain the frizz. Without gel my hair becomes extremely fluffy and undefined. My aunt who has tight curls will have her curls fall apart without gel. Not saying you "have" to have gel, but that by experimenting with different products you may be surprised to discover that your frizz disappears. Also I second the recommendation for a hair analysis. Knowing your hair's properties--far more than curl type-- will be a great help in knowing what type of products to look for. When you do find the right products and techniques you may also find your curl gets stronger, so your pattern may very well change. If you look at the "post your before/after CG thread" you'll see dramatic changes in peoples' hair, and it's an inspiring thread.

3A/f/i

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file