We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

clumping is GOOD?

im confused, clumping is when ur curls stay together instead of in separate pieces, but how is that good? i have alot of hair n i tried to make it all clumpy cuz i kept hearing it was a good thing but i had no volume and it was..flat..
??? help.
-Amy
3a =] =]

Comments

• sfisher323sfisher323 Posts: 537Registered Users
    Well some of us (me, for example) can have a tendency to get thin, stringy curls. Which I don't find terribly attractive on myself. So, I am always desperately in search of clumping. And actually, when I have good clumping, it tends to look like I have better volume. The stringy curls lie flatter against my had, but the clumpier curls - because they're fatter - give added volume to my hair.

Although, I don't know if I helped at all. :lol:
    embracing my inner curl since late Nov 2006
    2b/3a (I think?)
    color-treated red/brown, medium-textured hair
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    The curls actually DO go in separate pieces if they're clumpy, just bigger ones.

And it seems to be a 2, 3a, 3a/3b and some 3bs thing to look better clumpy (?), as they look fatter, more substantial and more full of movement. HTH!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • deADCURlydeADCURly Posts: 40Registered Users
    ohhhhhhhhhh
    ok ok, i get it...maybe i do have clumping then..hmm..what does it look like?
    -Amy
    3a =] =]
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I think clumps look healthy. =]
    3b-3c CG
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    I break up my huge clumps into smaller ones by raking in my product. My natural pattern is really big clumps. It makes me look like I have 6 real big long curls.
    Now I still have good clumping just smaller

Bad clumping is when the hair looks like it's all one mass, no separate curls. LIke when you brush it and it's all separated and nothing sticks together and makes the curls. That's bad clumping

My hair without product is pretty bad at the clumping. Any product I put it makes it all stick to each other and they start to form clumps. Better or tighter clumps depending on the product I use.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • cmartin1cmartin1 Posts: 152Registered Users
    deADCURly wrote:
    ohhhhhhhhhh

I don't mean to create extra work, but I agree with deADCURly - is there a way for someone to post a pic of stringy curls and clumping curls for comparison purposes?

I can start by posting a pic of my stringy curls!

gelepsomsalt-vi.jpg

Maybe Medusahair can post a good example of clumpy curls?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2Fwhat-buildup-looks-like%2Fdsc07099.html" class="Popup

Try this pic. It was after I had scrubbed some buildup off and my hair started clumping again.

fotki doesn't let me post it here just the link. Sorry!
    2c/3a?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

• DarbyDarby Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    I have very fine, thin hair so when I get clumps, it doesn't look good on me. It makes my hair look thinner and you can see my scalp. Whenever I go in for my trim, my stylist gets clumps with my hair. Yes, it looks shiney and healthy but it's too thin looking. When I do my own hair, I get more fluffy curls. I get a few clumped together but nothing like what most people get.
    My stylist has clumped curls and her hair looks great BUT, she has thick hair.
    Darby
    PW:curlyhaired

Natural hair color - dark brunette
    Fine, thinish hair/3a, 3b
    MH has fabulous clumping. (I have MH hair envy. But she already knows that. :wink: )

I guess if you were to take a look at my fotki (in the Journey begins album) . . . my hair starts out as one big, messy, mass of hair with no clumping (Dec 5 2006). Then moves into stringy curls (a la Dec 21 2006) and has been clumping better over time (pictures in the 'More Experimenting' album) . . .
    2b/3a (I think?)
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
    Ok you take the clumping sf and I'll take the spirals k? deal? :D
    2c/3a?

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    deADCURly wrote:
    ohhhhhhhhhh

Oh, I get both skinny, more stringy curls and clumpy curls, so I can help out on this.

Here's one with skinny curls, (less clumping) but with good definition still.

2s0jv4n.jpg

Skinny curls (less clumping) and less definition/more frizz

43y3m69.jpg

Good clumping and definition

3310rb5.jpg

4bfucme.jpg

While I love clumping, I have learned that I can have skinnier curls that still look decent. That might be a 3B and up thing as curls tend to get skinnier the higher up the curl chain you go. Some 3b's and lower really try for more clumping as many prefer the look of fatter curls. One some 3B, 3c's and up, the curls are thinner by nature, and so they don't look stringy when thin.

As others said, you can also have too much clumping. On me, this is too much clumping.

4gewjcy.jpg

...and that same curl broken up and umclumped

2lvz4g9.jpg

Sorry for the pic overload! I hope that it helps with visualizing clumps.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • cmartin1cmartin1 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I have been needing clarification for so long about this!

Sfisher, Medusahair (and anyone else) - would my stringy curls morph to more curly clumps if I abandoned my Burt's Bees shampoo and went CG - or am I stuck with 2c hair?
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    cmartin1 wrote:
    Please forgive me for hijacking this thread, but I have been needing clarification for so long about this!

Sfisher, Medusahair (and anyone else) - would my stringy curls morph to more curly clumps if I abandoned my Burt's Bees shampoo and went CG - or am I stuck with 2c hair?

I'm neither of those two, but I can help! For some it would, for some CG is too heavy or makes no difference. It's all a matter of your hair. But if you really like your shampoo, there's no need to give it up - more moisturizing condish and a cream styler or leave-in could help without you abandoning your shampoo. HTH!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    I Had great clumping before I gave up shampoo, I just had it lower in my hair and it didn't go all the way to my roots. Some days it still doesn't.

If you want to keep your shampoo you could at least try a heavier conditioner or....... some days when my hair wouldn't clump well I added a little peach oil, or jojoba oil to my conditioner. I think my hair gets too clean and it doesn't always want to clump well.

Products help with the clumping too, like for me peach oil helps, aloe helps if it's in a conditioner, some gels seem to help clumping like herbal essence totally twisted. The products make a big difference in how well I clump and how well they stay together.
    If you don't shampoo buildup can cause a lack of clumping too so it's a fine balance. At least it is in my particular experience.
    2c/3a?

cmartin1 wrote:

For me, cg did make my curls clumpier. But, I think that my hair is just better moisturized while cg. For me, the more moisturized and conditioned my hair is, the clumpier it is. I'll use the haviest protein free conditioner that I can to try to get more clumps. Others get overconditioned more easily and can lose clumps because of it.

as MH and w_s said, you could try out richer condtioners first to see if that does anything for you.

• curls101curls101 Posts: 334Registered Users
    clumping is?
    curls101 wrote:
    clumping is?

...having fatter, clumpier curls as oppsoed to skinnier, possibly stringy ones.

• msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    redcelticcurls - Whoa! You've got some beautiful curls!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    Darby wrote:
    I have very fine, thin hair so when I get clumps, it doesn't look good on me. It makes my hair look thinner and you can see my scalp. Whenever I go in for my trim, my stylist gets clumps with my hair. Yes, it looks shiney and healthy but it's too thin looking. When I do my own hair, I get more fluffy curls. I get a few clumped together but nothing like what most people get.
    My stylist has clumped curls and her hair looks great BUT, she has thick hair.
    Darby
    My hair is fine too and it has thinned also but I think I'm better off getting my hair to clump (which it doesn't really like to do...), the trick so it will look fuller and the scalp doesn't show is to "fluff" it once it's dry to break any crunch. All you have to do is bend down from the waist and then gently slip your fingers under your hair placing them near the roots, then you quickly move your hands from side to side giving your hair a "shake", you must do this all over your scalp so no hair will remain stuck to it, when you straighten up your hair should look much fuller because the curls widen as the crunch is broken.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • bostonwavesbostonwaves Posts: 727Registered Users
    I get skinnier curls when I rake products in and more clumpy hair when I scrunch products in.
    I think I prefer clumpy, but sometimes I like skinny curls. Just gives me different looks.
    "What's the good of having naturally curly hair if nobody's jealous?" Freida - Peanuts

~CG 8/06 ~
    fine, wavy - 2b/3a
    KCNT and KKCC
    medusahair wrote:
    Ok you take the clumping sf and I'll take the spirals k? deal? :D

You're on. :D

Well, I'm not the best judge, since I wasn't wearing my hair curly pre-CG (now modified CG). I have found that the more time passes since I started, the better my hair clumps/curls/and so forth. But, if you don't want to give up your shampoo (which I understand), I would go with with the conditioning recommendations. I find that if my hair is too clean or dry, it's less likely to clump. So if I add a bit of oil to it (I use Jessicurl's) while it's dry at night, it seems to help a bit the next day . . .

There are also products that make my hair clumpier - L'Oreal Out of Bed and Garnier Fructis Curl & Shine leave in both help my hair clump quite a bit. I've been using BWC revitalizing leave-in lately, and that seems to be generating good clumpy results as well. :)
    2b/3a (I think?)
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    RCC-Your hair is gorgeous! What products are you using?

I want my curls to be smooth & shiny like yours are. (some cheese to go with my whine?) I seem to end up with fuzz- not frizz really, just lots of space in each clump if that makes sense. Maybe it's something you're using that I can recreate on myself!! :D
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
    tinabcurly wrote:
    RCC-Your hair is gorgeous! What products are you using?

I want my curls to be smooth & shiny like yours are. (some cheese to go with my whine?) I seem to end up with fuzz- not frizz really, just lots of space in each clump if that makes sense. Maybe it's something you're using that I can recreate on myself!! :D

Thanks!

For condtioners, I rotate between Steiner Thirst Quenching and Nature's Gate Hemp Oil. Both are protein free (which I need). I like the Steiner, but it is pricey, and for some reason, the isopropyl myristate (sp?) can dry me out if I overuse it. I think that jaemaria said that that ingredient did the same thing to her? Odd as it is a fatty alchohol that should be good. But, I love the slip and detangling of the behentrimonium that is in the Steiner and not the NG.

I also use coconut oil or jojoba oil if I need it at night.

I love the Steiner DT. It also has that myristate, but the other stuff covers it up and super conditions for me.

If I could handle regular protein, I would absolutely use EMBC. I loved that stuff and it moisturizes so well. Same for the Curl Junkie Banana leave ins. The CJ may be protein free - I can't remember, but it is high in glycerin which fades my color. Reds fade easily.

For stylers, I like Pink Boots, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink], and LOOB. I like Boots on the bottom with one of the other two layered on top. My hair runs dry and the Boots seems to help since the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] and LOOB seem a tad bit drying even if I use a leave in.

The stylers help with clumping. But, if I really want clumping, I have to work at keeping my hair well conditioned. I'm a drier, coarser curly, so I don't know how these recs would work from someone with finer hair, or someone who gets weighed down.

I also have better luck with diffusing dry than with air drying. My roots stay so damp with air drying that my curls sort of stay flatter and fuzzier.

ETA: PS, you have awesome clumps in the pic with TooShea and Angell. I never could get Angell to work for me. I felt sticky and looked fuzzy. It looks pretty good one you though!

Thanks RCC! Those pics are from when I first started CG-- my hair's shorter- trying to make that "V" in the back less drastic & it's much healthier now. I really need to update my Fotki. Sorry I'm so late responding- work was cramping my nc.com time!

I need to give your condishes a try- I tend to be drier & coarser too. I've been using TooShea for months & it's not working like it used to anymore. My hair hates protein too, apparently but I thought the teeny bit in TooShea seemed ok- maybe not since it's not working. EMBC killed my hair the one time I used it, same thing with Activate & JoiWhip. (All 3 going on the swap board soon)

I color red/brown but haven't noticed significant fading- some definitely though. I've been using GF CnS as a leave-in & it has glycerin-- possible culprit.

I love Pink boots & use it pretty regularly, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] I use everyday. LOOB is no good on the other hand- I got one great day with it & every time since my hair is so dried out & tangled it's impossible to water rinse & detangle. (Swap boarding that too!)

No gel for you? Wow- can't get away with that. My hair goes off in space without gel to hold it back. Angell is hit or miss with me. If I use it too many days in a row, my hair gets frizzed like it's building up or something.

Ok- going to find your condishes. What's a few more bottles in the shower? If they don't work, at least I know who can take them off my hands!

Thanks!!
    3a/b mix
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    nevermind because I can't post pics
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
    Hi tinabcurly!

I missed this before.

Yeah, if you try my stuff and hate it, I'll take it, lol.

Dang, someone gave me GF leave in and I didn't pay attention to the ingredients. I missed the glycerin. Well, I'll just use it the week beofre I color since it won't fade much in one week. Many who have fade issues with glycerin only have it in the first week after coloring.

I do use a gel in the summer. I can't get by without it in the summer! I just don't need it much in the colder weather - and it's still cool here now.

The LOOB got drier for me as I went on, so I only use it a couple of times a week - still over the Boots. I love Boots. Cheap simple pink stuff, but I love it. I like the definition from LOOB, but it does get drying!

I keep saying that I am going to just make my own conditioner - at least I can get what I like that way...

modegrrl wrote:
    nevermind because I can't post pics

I use tinypic.com

You can upload a photo and they give you a link to use here "IMG code for forums & message boards." I just copy and paste the line of code and POOF the picture pops up here.

• skyianskyian Posts: 20Registered Users
    that if I use almost any product.(Mousse,gel etc) My curls are less frizzy.But look so thin. If I just let it go without that extra product my curls are clumpier but they dont stay that way.No matter what I do.
    Evette
    RCC-- Check which GF leave in you have...the GF CnS has glycerin but the SnS doesn't. There's a third, but I'm not sure of the ingred. on it. You might still be ok!

The only place I found Steiner is at timetospa.com & they're out- they have the liter but that's a bit much for a trial. Where do you usually get it from?

The ingred list for NG Nourishing Hemp conditioner (according to mynaturalmarketplace.com) has Hydrolyzed Soy Protein-- that's not right though- is it??

I keep saying I'm going to make my own condish too. Nothing ever seems to be "perfect" ya know? With all the cash I'm spending on buying & trying, I'm probably better off making my own. Who knows, I could be the next Jessicurl!
    3a/b mix
    tinabcurly wrote:
    RCC-- Check which GF leave in you have...the GF CnS has glycerin but the SnS doesn't. There's a third, but I'm not sure of the ingred. on it. You might still be ok!

The only place I found Steiner is at timetospa.com & they're out- they have the liter but that's a bit much for a trial. Where do you usually get it from?

The ingred list for NG Nourishing Hemp conditioner (according to mynaturalmarketplace.com) has Hydrolyzed Soy Protein-- that's not right though- is it??

I keep saying I'm going to make my own condish too. Nothing ever seems to be "perfect" ya know? With all the cash I'm spending on buying & trying, I'm probably better off making my own. Who knows, I could be the next Jessicurl!

They're out?! I don't mind sending you a sample from my bottle. The sample is free if you just pay for the mailing...

I need to get some more of their DT. I'm almost out, and I really love that stuff. I only found it at timetospa. It is on ebay, but only under timetospa as a seller so far.

ETA: I checked my bottle of NG Hemp, and no hydrolized soy. Maybe that was from an older formula.

I do have a glycerin version of the GF, but oh well. I can always use it in my last week before color. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file