Serious frizz... Halp.

CurlyFuryCurlyFury Posts: 6Registered Users
I'm hoping someone here might have suggestions for products to combat super frizzy hair. In the winter I don't have to worry about it so much, but when summer hits my curls are embedded in frizz. Even when I pull my hair back into a ponytail there's a little layer of frizz on my head like a halo. Some of the products I've used just make my curls 'crunchy' and they never look good for more than one day. I also have a hard time finding good products that use mostly natural ingredients. Some of the ones with a lot of chemicals make my skin react badly.

Any thoughts?
Wave: 3B & 3C, Density: Super high!, Porosity: Low
SheaMoisture is where it's at.

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What products do you use now? What's your routine? What is your hair type/texture?

It's hard to give advice without that sort of info.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • CurlyFuryCurlyFury Posts: 6Registered Users
    Based on the criteria this site gives, my hair seems to be a mix of all 3s. There's some 3A in the front and as it gets toward the back the curls get smaller, tighter, and coarser. Its mostly 3B though, from fine to medium texture. Its ridiculously thick but I haven't had it thinned out for a long time because I don't really like the way it looks.

Right now I'm using Nature's Gate Hemp Shampoo and Conditioner. The only other product I'm using is Paul Mitchell's Wax Works. I occasionally massage my scalp with some apple cider vinegar. I shampoo and condition every 2 days, sometimes every other day if I'm exercising a lot. I only use a wide tooth comb and comb it while I'm in the shower with conditioner in it. I let it air dry and never use heat.

I've been reading about the fact that cotton pillow cases can increase frizz, so I might switch mine out for a silk one. That doesn't seem to be a problem for me in the winter though, so I'm thinking it might just be weather related, or I'm not using good products. Buying new products makes me nervous because my skin is sensitive, but I'm ready and willing to try something else.
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You might try some Organix shampoo and conditioner you can get it at Walgreen's or publix etc...
    And Shea moisture yucca and plantin hair milk will moisturize without weighing you down.
    Also, you might actually be washing your hair too often, thus causing your hair to get frizzy.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you know your porosity? A quick way to determine this is how long your hair takes to dry without product - if it's quick, then it's high porosity, medium then medium, and if it takes aaaages then it's low. Low porosity tends to need lighter products and doesn't respond as well to oils and heavy creams, whereas higher porosity drinks up that sort of stuff (generally, though there are no hard and fast rules).

I'm not sure what Paul Mitchell's Wax Works is, but I'm guessing it's a styling wax lol. Honestly, I really wouldn't recommend that. A good styler is KEY to keeping down the frizz. In my opinion, a good styler is even more important than a good shampoo and conditioner, in terms of frizz control.

What you really want is a good gel. Lots of folks here like the LA Looks, some get on well with Eco Styler, or if you're able to afford some pricier options, Kinky Curly Curling Custard is a favourite, Jessi Curl products, Ouidad etc. Personally I've just started using Curl Keeper and adore it.

With your shampoo and conditioner are the sulfate/silicone free? Cutting out sulfates is a well-tested method for keeping curls better hydrated and thereby reducing frizz. Sulfates are super striping, so it's always good to either use a low-poo (sulfate-free shampoo) or to co-wash (wash with conditioner only). Which one depends on your hair and what you prefer.

I don't think massaging your scalp with ACV is a good idea. If people use ACV, I've only ever heard of it being used as a rinse. So after washing out your conditioner (or if you prefer, after washing out your shampoo and before conditioner) people pour ACV (DILUTED WITH WATER) over their hair. I really wouldn't recommend just straight massaging it into your hair.

Coconut oil (and other oils) are good for pre-shampoo treatments. Just slather them on before you wash (perhaps even the night before) and then leave them on for as long as possible. It really helps reduce frizz. Some people also like to finish washing their hair with a blast of cold water for frizz reduction.

Diffusers also help some people for better definition. Though if you're planning on using one, use the low/cool setting.

You're right about cotton pillowcases. When I was just wearing my hair in a pineapple at night, I used a silk pillowcase. However now I'm putting my hair in a satin sleepcap, there's no need in my opinion.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Halo frizz can be caused by product build up and not enough moisture. It sounds like you are washing your hair too frequently. I suggest that you clarify your hair and deep condition. I would also try a steam treatment that I will paste below. Instead of using shampoo every 2 days, do a conditioner wash instead. I am also suspect of the wax works you are using. I would suggest using a gel. My favorite is LA Looks Sports Gel.

Steam Treatment
    You will need:
    • 2 turbie turbans from the Dollar Store
    • 2 plastic caps
    • 1 pair of rubber gloves
    • Deep conditioner of your choice

After co-washing or shampoo (loo or no) put a deep conditioner in your hair.

Wet 2 turbies and microwave in a bowl for 10 minutes.
      Wring out the turbies using the rubber gloves.
      Wrap hair with first turbie
      Cover turbie with plastic cap
      Repeat with second turbie and plastic cap
      In the end you will have turbie, plastic cap, turbie, and plastic cap.
      Sit under hair dryer for 20 minutes.
      Rinse and style hair as usual.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • CurlyFuryCurlyFury Posts: 6Registered Users
    Thanks for the advice everyone! The more I research the more I think you're all right in that I might be washing too much and my wax works product is crap. I'm going to check out the Shea Moisture products and the LA Looks Gel. I might give that steam treatment a try as well. I determined that my hair is low porosity, which might explain why the products I've tried so far aren't working. Its probably not getting enough moisturizers. I read that low porosity hair accumulates build up from protein-rich conditioners, and the one I'm using seems to have a lot of that.

I'm going to give all this new stuff a try and see what happens. To give you an idea of what I'm working with, here's my grumpy face frizzles. Hopefully they'll be transformed soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file