What does my hair need?!?

Grace5155Grace5155 Posts: 15Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've tried almost anything under the sun with my curly hair (which I think is a mixture of 3a/3b) and nothing is working :( I did plop one time - and with incredible results (first pic) - but after I tried it again the exact same way it turned out like utter complete frizzy garbage (second pic). It's so upsetting, it's like I can't even stick with one routine bc my hair is ****ty and unpredictable like that :sad2: I've been thinking about getting a bob lately, so maybe that'll help give me more root volume but idk...

*My hair feels soooo dry and frizzy. Literally feels like straw some days.
*I have not used heat on it in over a year.
*I do the pineapple thing over night but it still gets all matted in the back when I get up in the morning.
*I have flat roots and no layers, I think the no layers plays into the flat roots but idk.
*I use a sulfate free shampoo every other day with the Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner.
*I do not brush my hair, I comb it w/ a wide tooth comb in the shower.
*Idk if this is bad/causing the dryness, but I apply this oil that's marketed as Rejuvenating Argan Oil by Orlando Pita but I think it probably doesn't work. I apply it after I step out of the shower.
*After applying the oil I scrunch in LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel.
*** My hair seems to respond well to humidity. On days when it's humid, I've had multiple people tell me my hair looks curlier and softer. Idk what this means, but it's gotta mean something.

Comments

• RaenboughRaenbough Posts: 22Registered Users
    Hi! It sounds like you are doing all the right things with your hair. Could you have build up and maybe you just need a wash with sulfate shampoo? Sometimes that actually helps my hair and makes it less frizzy as it gets rid of any build up. I only do it like once every 6 months. Also the pineapple thing doesn't work for me either, I just let my hair down on silk pillowcases at night. Those really help my hair, as Cotten pillow cases suck the moisture out of hair. Have you deep conditioned lately?
    Also if you used to use heat in the passed a lot the damage hasn't fully made its way out of your hair in a year, you probably have about 6 inches of healthy growth.
    Perhaps you need a trim?
    Anyway hoped I helped :)
  • BeautyOGBeautyOG Posts: 383Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You need more moisture. Try one of these watery leave in's:
    She moisture yucca and plantin hair milk
    Kinky curly knot today
    She moisture Jamaican black castor oil leave in

Also you need to do some deep treatments:

Moisturizing and strengthen mask:
    1/2 can of coconut milk
    2 spoons of honey

The mask I just put down is a protein treatment and a deep conditioner all in one. If you are protein sensitive this should work for you still.

And finally, you need to seal:
    Castor oil
    Jojoba oil
    Coconut oil

These are great oils for sealing but I recommend castor oil. Mix the castor oil with water and it shouldn't leave you greasy.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my QMV7B using CurlTalk App
    My Hair:
    3b - Low Porosity - High Density - Medium/Course Strands - Virgin Hair - Armpit Length, Curly

Current Products:
    DIY Shampoo
    Tresemme Aloe Conditioner
    It's a 10 Leave In
    Sweet Almond Oil
    Tresemme Mousse

Current Length Goal: Waist Length, Curly

• Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Even though you are using a sulfate shampoo I think you are shampooing to frequently. Just use conditioner instead. Shampoo once a week. I have found that when my hair feels like straw means too much protein or protein sensitivity. Look to see if your products have wheat protein in them because that makes my hair dry and frizzy. I would start fresh by clarifying, deep conditioning and doing a steam treatment. I swear by the steam treatment when I need moisture. Here is the technique:

Steam Treatment
    You will need:

• 2 turbie turbans from the Dollar Store
    • 2 plastic caps
    • 1 pair of rubber gloves
    • Deep conditioner of your choice

After co-washing or shampoo (loo or no) put a deep conditioner in your hair.

Wet 2 turbies and microwave in a bowl for 10 minutes.
      Wring out the turbies using the rubber gloves.
      Wrap hair with first turbie
      Cover turbie with plastic cap
      Repeat with second turbie and plastic cap
      In the end you will have turbie, plastic cap, turbie, and plastic cap.
      Sit under hair dryer for 20 minutes.
      Rinse and style hair as usual.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file