Should you alternate hair products?

I'm currently on a budget and want to basically get the least amount of products I can. Do you think its important to have a few different rinse outs and leave ins to switch between, or do you think its fine to have one rinse out or leave in that you use solely until its used up?
2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
:sunny:
GOD really loves you. ∞
HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
*I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
:cat:

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    If your on a very strict budget, then you can of course simply choose to stick to using one product in each category (such as hair cleanser, conditioner, leave in (optional), curl styler, etc.) that you happen to find works really well for your hair, and simply stick with such. Overall, the choice is simply up to you, and just how much you are willing to spend in regards to haircare products.

I will admit, I ended up becoming a huge product junkie, and at this point in my curly journey, I had to learn to turn away from such. Because a lot of the products that I had started buying were impulse purchases, and totally not things that I truly needed. So, I had to learn the power of restraint, and learning go streamline my regimen, finding out what works best for me product wise, and consistently sticking to such.

I personally do have products that I rotate between, however, these are all staple or "holy grail" products for me. And, yes, I still do sometimes try other products, but i make sure to thoroughly research such both from reading written online reviews, as well as watching lids of review videos on each and every new product that I choose to try. As, I have already gone that route, with getting caught up in buying a lot of products, that first off I truly didn't need and that didn't end up working well for my hair at all. Which is why, I have learned to start spending my money more wisely, when it comes to everything that I buy, not just haircare products. I cut out coupons towards drugstore products that I use, or towards drugstore products that I am eagerly interested in trying. Plus, when it comes to purchases , I definitely take advantage of sales a lot. Those discounts really do help out quite a lot.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I find I get better results rotating products. I don't know if it's a buildup issue or what but i have a couple different condtioners and gels and leave ins. And two different low poos/cowashes
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think it's a case of "you should alternate", more a case of you can if you want or need to do so. Many do have more than one product in a given category, either because they like trying new things or because they haven't yet found a one size fits all (fill in category name here) product. Many who live in an area where there's a season change from summer to winter (hot /humid summers vs. cold dry winters) find that they need different products when the season changes, so they'll buy product to fit their climate.

Personally, as a fine haired wavy, with hard water and a drugstore budget, I have yet to find a real one size fits all product, so I do rotate between protein rich and protein free in my cowash /RO /LI, depending on what my hair is doing that day. I haven't found a "medium amount of protein" one that works yet. I haven't found a real HG styler either. I like the curl formation of a hard hold gel, but like the touchability of a medium to light hold (Hand-in-hair syndrome here!). I get some buildup from polyquats, but the one hard hold gel I've found without them is somewhat drying, even over LI, so I rotate my stylers too. I tend to avoid cetyl esters, non-water soluble silicones, and waxes too, which limits my options a bit.

If you can find one cowash that works 100% of the time, I think that's awesome. Ditto on RO, LI, and a styler. If something works most of the time, then suddenly stops working, try clarifying, then go back to your usual routine, cause it may just be buildup causing it to stop working. If you're lucky enough to get consistently awesome hair with one product lineup, I wouldn't mess with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't really rotate products. My hair is extremely finicky, and I don't have a wide variety of products that I can use. I basically have one set of products (shampoo/cleansing conditioner, condish, two stylers) that I use per season. Summer is Andalou Naturals Age-Defying shampoo, Giovanni 50/50 condish, and Curl Queen topped with Deva Light Defining Gel. Sometimes I'll use a clarifying shampoo. I only buy new products to try when something stops working for me.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair has always satiated on product, even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. Although I wet, use a rinse out and style every day, I seldom use any one product more then once a week.

You don't list your hair properties, here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free I have fine/low porosity hair. I feel that my rinse out is the least important product--how much is my hair going to absorb in a minute in the shower??
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I probably would alternate if I found several products that worked well for me! But as it stands right now, I don't alternate. I'm still searching for more products that work the way I like...
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't alternate because if it's not broke why fix it? However, sometimes your hair may require you to do so. Let your hair tell you if you need to or not. Some require rotation and some do not.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file