Still confused about humectants!!!

curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand humectants better. I get that they help moisture go from a more-moisturized place to a drier place. So I always thought, "Ok, so you don't use them in very low or very high dews, but you use them in the 40-60 range." But I've heard some people say they don't use them in THAT range, so now I'm not sure when to use them!

Also, I cannot for the life of me find a silicone-free gel that doesn't contain humectants! Every one I see contains either sorbitol or glycerin as one of the ingredients...unless one of those isn't actually a humectant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
:love2: Curly Teen :love2:
CG since 5/2/14
3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
~SheaMoisture Shampoos
~Suave Essentials Conditioners
~Kinky Curly Knot Today
~L.A. Looks Sport Gel

Comments

• MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel is a very natural gel. It also does not make the hair hard or glued together like other gels. It has neither silicones nor glycerine. The main ingredients in it re Aloe Vera and vitamin E with thickening agents and preservatives. It is available at cvs and walmart. It is about the only gel I would use in my hair at all. I am generally for conditioner only.
    aloe-vera-gel-bottle-340-gms.jpg
    Ingredients
    Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    Ooh, that looks nice! I'll try it. Thanks! :mrgreen:
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If you're looking for a drugstore available gel with no humectants, you can try either Aussie Instant Freeze or herbal Essence Set Me Up (similar formulations).

Aloe Vera sometimes doesn't play nicely with certain conditioners or other gels - mix anything you're leaving in your hair with AVG in the palm of your hand before combining them in your hair, otherwise you will be washing out those little white balls everyone loves so much :tongue1:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    If you're looking for a drugstore available gel with no humectants, you can try either Aussie Instant Freeze or herbal Essence Set Me Up (similar formulations).

Aloe Vera sometimes doesn't play nicely with certain conditioners or other gels - mix anything you're leaving in your hair with AVG in the palm of your hand before combining them in your hair, otherwise you will be washing out those little white balls everyone loves so much :tongue1:

Oh, ok! Thanks for the info!
    CG since 5/2/14
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Posts: 15Registered Users
    I was having the same problem with humectants! I live in a super humid place and Jessicurl Spiralicious is an awesome gel that's glycerin-free.
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file