Drug store vs salon products... it's the ingredients that count!

So since I've gone CG as well as more natural avoiding artificial colors, parabens, etc... i have completely stopped buying salon products. The ingredients are so extensive and they're usually loaded with silicones in disguise. And to me they always said "don't worry you'll need so much less so its worth it"... but I never needed less! I've heard stylist say drug store stuff is "watered down" which to me is great because it distributes better.

I'm bringing this up because I had a friend trim and highlight my hair today and I was bragging how it's been so healthy... and she was asking about my routine. So I told her I cowash mostly with suave naturals daily clarifying conditioner and the first words were "don't put suave on your hair!" She offered to get me salon stuff cheaper because she can buy it cheap.... Well my goodness I'm using the suave conditioner as a shampoo and i explained how I've been sealing with coconut oil and shea butter and I use shea moisture conditoners for my rinse out and asiam leave in conditioner which all have really great lists of ingredients.

I used to use exclusively salon products and was always fighting frizz and split ends. My hair is so healthy and moisturized now and I don't need to break the bank. So what's the deal with this claim that salon products are better? I'm more to concerned with the ingredients and have been turned off by the ingredients... even in Aveda and purology that are loaded with chemicals.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's all "hype." A lot of people believe that if it's more expensive, it has to be better. Only "drugstore" type products that I use are from the more "natural" companies that don't use a lot of chemicals. If I'm going to spend the money, which I usually do, I want products from the online, boutique type companies. Some of these have become more accessible since I've been on nc.com--which is great.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I'm not saying that for some salon products may not make a world of difference for their curls, but I do know that my hair goes off what it happens to like period, and that's what I've learned to stick with. And, unfortunately, a lot of expensive salon products that I have tried didn't work well for my hair at all. The only haircare lines within my regimen that offer products within it that are pricey, are Uncle Funky's Daughter, CAmille Rose Natural's, Mixed Chicks and Darcy's Botanicals (falling somewhere in the middle, price wise). I mainly buy these products when they are being offered online during a sale, when I can get them at a discounted price. Yes, I do also own and use use products from drugstore lines, but only the products that happen to agree with my hair. 99% of the hair stylists that I have ever gone to, never really offered me any real advice when it came to proper haircare. I have honestly only had one stylist recommend a product to me, because she said that it worked well for her sisters hair, and at the time I had begun seeing her for hair damage that had occurred to my hair due to improper hair care management on my part at that time. And, even then the stylist, didn't really do all that much to get my hair back into a much more strengthened state, outside of giving me a much needed hair cut (which was badly needed at the time). I ended up leaving that stylist and never bought the product that she had recommended at all, due to the really crappy ingredients that were in it.

I will sometimes go into the salon that's inside of my local Walmart to browse, if I happen to have some extra time on my hands to do so. Even though, I actually haven't bought anything from out of there in a long time. I have had individuals come up to me that work in the salon as stylists (yet the stylist that end up working inside of there never end up staying there for a very long time), and they would do a quick consult with me before then proceeding to show me what product or products that they feel I need. All, I can say is that I have ended up bringing a lot of that stuff back to get my money refunded. I realized that just because their hairstylists doesn't necessarily mean that they completely know what's best for my hair, simply from a quick consultation. I have come to learn what's best for my hair, and that's what I now stick to.

One of my biggest regrets when I started my curly journey, was thinking that expensive products were the best, and I invested a lot of my money into buying such, only to end up being hugely disappointed. Plus, there are actually only a handful of products that I have tried throughout my curly journey, that I have bought from inside of a sallow, that I would actually re-purchase (but only if I felt like really splurging). Otherwise, I just no longer really get tempted by such anymore.

Oh, and it definitely appears that the Suave Natural's Clarifying Daily Conditioner happens to be a big favorite amongst many, because every time my local Walmart gets more if it, it doesn't take that long for it to go out if stock.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • curlysophiecurlysophie Posts: 216Registered Users
    I agree with Kathy- it's all hype. People think the more money they have to spend, the better their products are. Which is SO not true. I TOTALLY agree with you, Ashleynicol, that salon brands are often filled with silicones and chemicals. I wish more people could realize that THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS INGREDIENTS. (Unless the packaging of products is a make-or-break for you!)

I get all my products at either Walmart or Target. Those aren't high-quality beauty stores, but you can find some great stuff there.
    :love2: Curly Teen :love2:
    CG since 5/2/14
    3A, low/medium porosity, medium texture/thickness
    ~SheaMoisture Shampoos
    ~Suave Essentials Conditioners
    ~Kinky Curly Knot Today
    ~L.A. Looks Sport Gel
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    Well apparently they are taught in cosmetology school that other products are inferior as well. But the thing is many of these beauty schools are run by companies like redkin so I feel like its all a big sham to push their products. I feel as long as you are reading ingredients and see how your hair reacts it doesn't matter if you pay $1 or $20 for a product.

I also go in salons and browse from time to time but honestly haven't found anything with ingredients that look beneficial to me. Suave naturals is more watered down but as a cowash it works great for me. Asiam products are pricy but work well for me. Ecostyler is my HG for clumpage currently

I would like to try camille rose products but don't know where to find it. - plus I fear flaking because i hear its similar to kccc which flaked on me.
    And a lot of the online boutiques look good but i hate dealing with returns when it doesn't work. Returning to Sallys is so much easier. Even amazon prime makes returns fairly simple. I wish I could buy an assortment of samples somewhere from these companies.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I had a woman in a salon/shop tell me that silicones in the products they sold weren't the same as silicones in cheaper stuff, they were far superior apparently. I suspect they're exactly the same and even if not, they would still do the same thing to hair! It's just snobbery.
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie wrote: »
    I had a woman in a salon/shop tell me that silicones in the products they sold weren't the same as silicones in cheaper stuff, they were far superior apparently. I suspect they're exactly the same and even if not, they would still do the same thing to hair! It's just snobbery.

I'm sure many of the companies get their bulk chemicals from similar suppliers! I do believe drug store products are more "watered down" and honestly I'm ok with that as long as the other ingredients do what they're supposed to do. I tend to be heavy handed so it's hard for me to use "less" of more expensive products and ive even watered down some products to ease distribution.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I buy products based on ingredients, without regard to brand or price. That being said, I still primarily buy salon/high-end products, but it's because of the ingredients. I have very protein-craving hair and most drug store products just don't have sufficient protein to keep my hair happy. I'm jealous of people who are able to use drug store products with great results. I'm just not one of those people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I buy products based on ingredients, without regard to brand or price. That being said, I still primarily buy salon/high-end products, but it's because of the ingredients. I have very protein-craving hair and most drug store products just don't have sufficient protein to keep my hair happy. I'm jealous of people who are able to use drug store products with great results. I'm just not one of those people.

Have you found any salon products without silicones???
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Totally agree! In fact, I am the opposite because I snob my nose at higher end products. When I first went CG I bought both Quidad and Devacurl products and they didn't work well for me at all. What has worked has been Suave, Trader Joe's Nourish, Tressemme and my favorite HG LA Looks Gel. Every now and then I will try some CG products from Sally's or Target and find that they never work better than my $2 LA Looks! Why pay more? Like already said here: most important part of a products are the ingredients.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    Corrina777 wrote: »

Have you found any salon products without silicones???

More than I will ever need in this lifetime. Now that Ouidad Climate Control Gel has been re formulated I'm down to only two non-CG styling products- Ouidad Moisture Lock LI and Oribe Curl Mousse. Everything else is either silicone-free or only has water soluble silicones. (I believe my styling product stash is somewhere around 30 products right now).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I've never seen those brands in any salons? I thought those were online. I also look for no parabens and no artificial colors.

They have Aveda, purology, redkin, kenra, etc. All of which have silicones, artificial colors, or parabens.
    Pure online the ouidad climate control has dimethicone and parabens. No thanks.
    Plus its got a polyquat in it which causes me to frizz big time.

Water, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Leaf Extract, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyquaternium-28, Glycerin, PPG-26-Buteth-25, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PVP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.
    Marci Pie wrote: »
    Totally agree! In fact, I am the opposite because I snob my nose at higher end products. When I first went CG I bought both Quidad and Devacurl products and they didn't work well for me at all. What has worked has been Suave, Trader Joe's Nourish, Tressemme and my favorite HG LA Looks Gel. Every now and then I will try some CG products from Sally's or Target and find that they never work better than my $2 LA Looks! Why pay more? Like already said here: most important part of a products are the ingredients.

I always loved la looks! Wish it didn't have parabens and artificial colors!
    Pure online the ouidad climate control has dimethicone and parabens. No thanks.
    Plus its got a polyquat in it which causes me to frizz big time.

Water, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Panthenol (Provitamin B5), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Actinidia Chinensis (Kiwi) Fruit Extract, Lawsonia Inermis (Henna) Leaf Extract, Wheat Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyquaternium-28, Glycerin, PPG-26-Buteth-25, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PVP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

Climate Control was very recently re-formulated and is now silicone-free. Online ingredient lists are not always up to date. There's a thread about it somewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well apparently they are taught in cosmetology school that other products are inferior as well. But the thing is many of these beauty schools are run by companies like redkin so I feel like its all a big sham to push their products. I feel as long as you are reading ingredients and see how your hair reacts it doesn't matter if you pay $1 or $20 for a product.

I also go in salons and browse from time to time but honestly haven't found anything with ingredients that look beneficial to me. Suave naturals is more watered down but as a cowash it works great for me. Asiam products are pricy but work well for me. Ecostyler is my HG for clumpage currently

I would like to try camille rose products but don't know where to find it. - plus I fear flaking because i hear its similar to kccc which flaked on me.

IMO it acts like KCCC does on the people who like it. It has similar (but not identical) texture. But it just isn't as heavy.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I'm not curly. Just wavy. But unfortunately for me I **have** found that the higher end products work better on me. I'd be thrilled if it weren't so but it is. I suspect if I had a stronger pattern it wouldn't be nearly the case.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    chupie wrote: »
    I'm not curly. Just wavy. But unfortunately for me I **have** found that the higher end products work better on me. I'd be thrilled if it weren't so but it is. I suspect if I had a stronger pattern it wouldn't be nearly the case.

Not necessarily- I find myself in the same boat. There are very few drugstore products that I find comparable to higher end products.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • babykicks03babykicks03 Posts: 53Registered Users
    Yep I think its hype. The only high end product that my hair likes is matrix amplifying and I dont use it anymore because its not cg

3B curls
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus conditioner as co wash and leave in
    ACV and honey rinse
    SheaMoisture coconut and hibiscus smoothie for definition
    Curlkeeper

Some of it maybe hype but I'm telling you it is not hype for everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file