Help with Toddler hair *Photo included

KaisercurlsKaisercurls Posts: 100Registered Users
Here is a photo of my girls.

dateposted-publichttps://www.flickr.com/photos/kaiserroll/18723162592/in/dateposted-public/

One was blessed with my hair. I have always had great hair. She is 4 years old, has great body in her hair and it is down to her waist.

My two year old, well she was blessed with the other half's french creole hair. She is a perfect 3c. I have an 18 year old with the same hair, so I have studied and I know, or I sorta remember how to do this but it seems products have changed since I have been on here.
Here are my questions.

How do I get her curls to look longer and not stuck to her head? Sometimes I put the dryer on them on low and slowly pull them. They look nice and a little longer that way.

What styling product would you recommend?

Her hair always seems so dry on the sides above her ears. And, I can't believe how slow her hair grows. She is 1 out of 5 children I have had and man, SLOW AS MOLASSES. Even my other 3c didn't grow this slow. What's the deal?

My 18 year old didn't get her 3c hair until she hit the teen years. Her hair was just wavy. Lil FiFers got them right away so I am not sure if baby hair is different than teen hair.

Thanks,
Tangled Mom
I am a 2c w/spirals underneath! 35 years old with 85% white hair. I am currently using DevaOne everyday with No Poo. I am using Smooth N Shine Gel Conditioner Extra-Hold on my course hair and it works awesome for 3 bucks. I found putting Color Magic into my hair color really covers the gray well. :blob7:

Comments

• Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Simply stated Genetics! Genetics can be like roulette, never know how things are going to come up.

I really don't think you can make her curls longer outside of stretching at the root which I would not recommend for a little girl.

I would recommend treating her hair the same way you treated your other daughter's curly hair. Right now I am in love with Tresemme's Perfectly Undone conditioner. It really leaves my hair moisturized and soft. I am not sure if I would use gel in her hair unless she really needs the hold and I would use a light gel or even aloe vera gel. When her dries I would use a little coconut oil to scrunch out.

I might also try stimulating her scalp at night to help with the group.

By the way her hair is darling. I would make sure she rocked bows everyday. Whatever you do make her feel good about her hair!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    With your 2 year old, her curls look the way the are due to genetics, and there's truly no way that you could make her curls appear dramatically loosened w/o the use of using some type of hair straightening system being used on her precious locks, which I am personally not an advocate of. Also, her hair may not look like its growing at a normal rate, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with your daughter's current hair growth rate, or length at all. I am of mixed race, and I grew up with individuals in my huge family possessing hair that ranged from being straight, wavy, curly, to even super coily. So, I am very much used to being exposed to, and having touched all types of hair. Which is why, I think that your little one has a very beautiful head of 3c curls that I absolutely adore, and wouldn't change a thing about!

Mixed Chicks offers a really great line for kids. I actually own and use several Mixed Chicks products, including the Mixed Chicks Kids Leave In Conditioner. There is a sample kit sold of the Mixed Chicks kids line, which can be found on Curly Hair Products - Mixed Chicks | A Curly Revolution, along with actual full sizes of the products themselves available for sale there as well, along with a list of retailers that happen to offer the products too.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • KaisercurlsKaisercurls Posts: 100Registered Users
    I hope I didn't sound as if I didn't like her curls, I love them. I just know she is going to go through a phase of "I hate my hair". She will learn to love her hair like my 18 year old did. It's very exotic looking when grown out. I don't want to straiten her hair, I just wanted to know if I could use conditioner or wax or some other product to make the curls longer. I have been using a GEL in her hair and I think it makes it stick to her head. When I stretch out the curl her hair is about 4-5 inches long so its about down to her shoulders.

Here is what I got from CurlMart. I hoping some of this will work on my hair too since I am having hormonal issues. My hair is falling out. Its a mess. I haven;t seen my 2b hair in awhile. Just looks like old lady hair. :(
    I am going to use the milk on her hair to see if it does well on it.

Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner

Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner

Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Extra Dark 8 oz

SheaMoisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk
    I am a 2c w/spirals underneath! 35 years old with 85% white hair. I am currently using DevaOne everyday with No Poo. I am using Smooth N Shine Gel Conditioner Extra-Hold on my course hair and it works awesome for 3 bucks. I found putting Color Magic into my hair color really covers the gray well. :blob7:
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    I hope I didn't sound as if I didn't like her curls, I love them. I just know she is going to go through a phase of "I hate my hair". She will learn to love her hair like my 18 year old did. It's very exotic looking when grown out. I don't want to straiten her hair, I just wanted to know if I could use conditioner or wax or some other product to make the curls longer. I have been using a GEL in her hair and I think it makes it stick to her head. When I stretch out the curl her hair is about 4-5 inches long so its about down to her shoulders.

Here is what I got from CurlMart. I hoping some of this will work on my hair too since I am having hormonal issues. My hair is falling out. Its a mess. I haven;t seen my 2b hair in awhile. Just looks like old lady hair. :(
    I am going to use the milk on her hair to see if it does well on it.

Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner

Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Moisturizing Conditioner

Sunny Isle Jamaican Black Castor Oil Extra Dark 8 oz

SheaMoisture Yucca & Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk

Thanks for sharing with us, the products that you chose to purchase for your little one. I have tried 3 of the 4 products that you bought. I currently do own the Darcy's Pumpkin Seed Conditioner (which I truly love-but I must say that I DC with this product using heat each time) Sunny Isle JBCO in Dark (which is one of the oils that I use to pre-poo with-love it!) and I tried the SM & Plaintain Anti Breakage Strengthening Styling Milk (when it was originally called the Yucca & Baobab Growth Milk and didn't quite care for it all that much). I honestly don't know if any of the products that you bought can be used on a child's hair and scalp as young as 2. I know that SM does have an actual kids line of products that are sold online as well as within retail stores, Sally's and pissible other beauty supply stores, and the actual Shea Moisture website itself. I do know that Curls sells a retail kids line, that can be readily found in most Walmart stores, along with other retail stores too, along with Mixed Chicks carrying a children's line that can readily be purchased from out of most Walmart stores, and other retail outlets, as well as via online. When it comes to using products that are mainly geared towards adults, I would always check and see first, if the products are actually suitable for use on a young child's hair and scalp, because very young children do have scalps that can be sensitive to a lot of things. Hopefully, the products that you chose do work well for your little ones hair. Please keep us updated on how well or not, they do work for your previous little ones curly locks. Because there are always other alternative oroducts that you can try, such any of the ones that I have taken the time to mention.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think the Darcy's would be ok. But I would dilute it.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • KaisercurlsKaisercurls Posts: 100Registered Users
    Ok. I am frustrated with DD hair.
    After using these products, and kids products curls are just shrunk up into her head by the end of the day. They are still dry no matter what I put on them. Its like they crave moisture no matter what I do.
    This poor baby. I don't know what to do. Im tired of spending money on a 3 year old hair!

Its so fine its like fine lace. I have to be so delicate with it or it breaks. No pony tails, just clips. She just now has it long enough to put in a pony because its so slow growing.

Is there ANY home recipes to help this unruly hair?:angry3:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i can tell you about my experience -- i have two granddaughters with 3c hair and my daughter uses curl junkie beauticurls leave in with great success.

from time to time she will rotate it with cj strengthening conditioner or smoothing conditioner, but the beauticurls leave has the best results for regular use.

their hair is moisturized and has great definition.

just like all of us, you might have to do a trial and error with products for her. she may never go thru a phase of not liking her hair.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file