Kinky Curly

alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
I currently use Deva foam and LA looks sports gel, and I am just not getting enough definition and hold. I am thinking about trying Kinky Curly; what are your thoughts as 2's? (I am a 2b/2c with fine hair).

Should I try Kinky curly? Do I need to use it with the leave in conditioner? I just recently bought a bottle of Deva 1 Condition, and am pretty happy with that, so if I can avoid buying one more thing...

Thanks!
-2b/2c fine hair, easily weighed down

Currently using:
Wash: Deva NoPoo
RO: Deva One Condition
Style: Deva Foam & LA Looks Sports Gel

Dry using a Curlformers Softhood

Experimenting with Organix Coconut Shampoo and Kinky Curly Custard

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A lot of people LOVE it. For some, like me, it never worked quite right but Camille Rose Curlmaker does. So you just have to try it. Target has a GREAT return policy if you get it there. Just use a LITTLE!!! Usually people use it over leave in. Some top with a hard hold gel some do not.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Kinky Curly Curling Custard has worked amazingly well for me, you just have to scrunch the crunch when dry. I'm trying to find a curl cream that works as well (I hate the jar packaging) but so far, no dice. I'd give it a try!
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Posts: 773Registered Users
    I got good results with kccc but it flaked. I get better results easier with ecostyler and it's way cheaper. Not quite as natural though.
  • alex.esareyalex.esarey Posts: 34Registered Users
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Between looking for a new stronger hold product, and a better shampoo system, I am totally revamping my routine...

Currently using:

I got good results with kccc but it flaked. I get better results easier with ecostyler and it's way cheaper. Not quite as natural though.

Ashleynicol, how does ecostyler compare to LA looks sports gel? (Have you used that before?)

Currently using:

I used to live in la looks sports gel and it always worked well for me but i needed a styler underneath to help if I want bigger clumps. Ecostyler gives me awesome clumpage.. (is clumpage even a word? Oh well it is now!). And ecostyler is easy to completely scrunch out so that I need to seal the ends with a little oil to help keep it from drying out too much.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    KCCC isn't the strongest hold. The strongest hold gels I've used are Volumax Mega (from Sally's but i think it might be dicontinued) and Biolage Rock Hard Gelee.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    wavydaze wrote: »
    KCCC isn't the strongest hold. The strongest hold gels I've used are Volumax Mega (from Sally's but i think it might be dicontinued) and Biolage Rock Hard Gelee.

That is really good to know!! Thank you! How do those two compare to LA Looks or EcoStyler? (also, WHICH ecostyler is the go-to for curlies?)

Currently using:

A lot like the olive oil or argan oil ecostylers. I use the clear one simple because the yellow#5 in the other two make me itch.
  • hilar_ridichilar_ridic Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There is a great thread on here somewhere about how to get great results with KCCC. I just got mine last week, had bee using Ecostyler with not much luck. I can honestly say I love this stuff. I have never used LA looks so I cant speak to that but as someone who is on my 4th week of CG I finally have no frizz and great definition. Dont use too much and everyones hair is different. But so far its a Holy Grail product for me.
    2C - 1 year into CG
    Goosefootprints - Coarse, Dense, Normal porosity
    Started Co-Washing and and trying out different products.
    Any tips for similar hair would be great

CW: As I am/Suave Naturals
    RO: Suave Naturals / Yes to Coconuts
    Squish: Yes to Coconuts or GVPCB.
    LO: Suave Natruals
    Styler: Experimenting- Shea Moisture Smoothie, BRHG, KC, ISO bouncy creme,Ecostyler and PP, Innersense I create Hold, LASLG
    My hair doesn't like Glycerin
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Another good gel like KCCC but less flakey is Mop Top Curly Custard. I am in LOVE with it!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
    I just finished a sample of this and it is nice!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Off to Target to pick it up! Wish me luck!

(I will try to find that post on tricks how to use it properly.)

Will totally report back. :)

Currently using:

There is a great thread on here somewhere about how to get great results with KCCC. I just got mine last week, had bee using Ecostyler with not much luck. I can honestly say I love this stuff. I have never used LA looks so I cant speak to that but as someone who is on my 4th week of CG I finally have no frizz and great definition. Dont use too much and everyones hair is different. But so far its a Holy Grail product for me.

Ack, I can't find that thread! Is it under 2's? or somewhere else? Also, do you recommend using it on top of another product or by itself?

Currently using:

• hilar_ridichilar_ridic Posts: 45Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Look up smasters476 posts. She posted a Thread called Consistently Awesome Hair Technique, that is where I got a lot of info on using KCCC.
    2C - 1 year into CG
    Goosefootprints - Coarse, Dense, Normal porosity
    Started Co-Washing and and trying out different products.
    Any tips for similar hair would be great

CW: As I am/Suave Naturals
    RO: Suave Naturals / Yes to Coconuts
    Squish: Yes to Coconuts or GVPCB.
    LO: Suave Natruals
    Styler: Experimenting- Shea Moisture Smoothie, BRHG, KC, ISO bouncy creme,Ecostyler and PP, Innersense I create Hold, LASLG
    My hair doesn't like Glycerin
    Thanks, hilar_ridic!

Currently using:

• nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    I love KCCC! It makes a fantastic gel cast and when I scrunch my curls out they're super soft. I use it on top of other products, though. I use KCKT first to detangle, followed by Shea Moisture's Curling Smoothie to keep my hair soft and clumpy, THEN I use KCCC to form a cast and keep moisture in. I love the results I get from this routine. :)
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
    Hmm. That didn't work so well. I tried the Smasters technique (sort of) by first applying in my LA Looks, plopping for 15 minutes, sticking head under softhood for 5 minutes, then putting in the kinky curly (with wet hands), and got under my softhood again.

I wonder if coming in and out of three hoods pulled out my curls, or what. I don't own a bowl diffuser (just a softhood and a sock diffuser) so maybe that is the problem. Maybe a sock diffuser would work better.

I have an itty bitty bit of definition immediately around my face, but most of my hair is really flat, no curls (pretty straight). :(

I might try again tomorrow, just putting it all in at once (instead of stopping half way thru).

Currently using:

• nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    I'm not sure if this will help, but this is how I use my KCCC:

After I apply the three products mentioned above and brush them through, I re-wet my hair using a spray bottle and some water to get the clumps to reform. Once my hair is nice and wet, and all the pieces fall where they should and stick together nicely, I use a cotton t-shirt and really squish my hair to get pretty much all the water out. After that, I *reapply* KCCC by scrunching it in (not brushing anything through this time). I find that it holds really well and makes a really hard cast if I've gotten the water out of my hair and the product is undiluted. The purpose of the first application is to make sure it's all distributed evenly on top of my moisturizing products, and the second application gives me that nice, hard cast that I'm looking for. Hope this helps!
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
    Those are some great ideas! Especially the spray bottle bit. Thank you!! I will try it out tomorrow.

Currently using:

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCCC is a must try product or else you'll always feel that you've missed something. The first time I used KCCC (I think it was 4/28/08, it was about that day), I had the best hair ever up until that date. All I did is look in the rear view mirror every chance I got--it was that good. Now, I use it every so often and it still gives me good hair.

I always use a leave in, sometimes a curl enhancer and always a jelly product (gelatinous consistency without all of the chemicals.) I wrap hair in a Curlease towel while I dress and do makeup, scrunch out water with a CLU towel, diffuse with a professional dryer (upside down and side to side to get volume and set the curl), shake it out when I stand up and put my part in with my fingernail. I don't touch it until it's dry. Check that by putting my hands in my under layers. SOTC when it's TOTALLY dry.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I wanted to love kccc. The results were always good soft curls. If it didn't cause a white powdery coat to my hair it would be an HG product.
    Oh man. Oh man oh man LOOK AT MY HAIR!!!!! '

So the Smasters technique didn't work, probably because I use a curlformers hood (which, PS, y'all need to try).

Anyway, today I tried a more normal routine. Washed with Organix Coconut water shampoo (for my hard water mess). Put in my Deva 1 upside down, rinsed out (still upside down).

Stepped out of the shower, raked thru some LA Looks Sport gel through my wet hair. Used a tshirt to blot out extra moisture. Scrunched in some Kinky Curly Custard (still upside down in all of this) with wet hands. (Maybe one quarter sized amounts on each side of my head) Used tshirt to blot out any extra custard & water. Put head in my microfiber turban thingy.

Took 10- 15 minutes or so to wash some dishes. (Life!).

Put on my curlformers hood (upside down again). Dried hair for about 15 minutes. Took off my hood. BOOM! CHECK IT OUT!!!

I think I eventually want to experiment with Biosilk Rock Hard. Not sure when in all those steps I should apply it, but as a Kindergarten teacher I spend a lot of time outside, and need my hair to hold up to wind and (ugh) serious hat hair (hats are required at my school).

(PS: Blurring out face b/c I have an epic zit that does not need to be in cyberspace for all of history!)

Currently using:

That's a cute cut too!
  • ExpectoPatronumExpectoPatronum Posts: 143Registered Users
    alex.esarey, your hair looks super cute!

Thanks to this thread, I went out and purchased KCCC to try. It's always been on my list to try, but the price always pushed me to try other things first.

I haven't used it properly yet, but I used it today after spritzing my hair with water for second day hair. I somehow ended up with a ringlet in front of my face. That doesn't sound like much to be impressed about, but it is when you consider how hard of a time I have getting those pieces to curl! I can't wait to use it on freshly washed hair.
    :color: HAIR STATS & ROUTINE :color:
    2c/3a--medium porosity--medium density--medium/coarse
    Cleansers: Shea Moisture Scalp Detox Shampoo, wash ~2x a week
    Conditioners: Cantu Hydrating Cream Conditioner (RO,HG!)
    Stylings: SM Curl and Style Milk (HG), Camille Rose Curl Maker (HG!)
    SOTC: SM Curl and Style Milk
    Oils: Coconut
    Working with waves since April 2015

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file