Curl Cream that HOLDS like Gel?

BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
I am awfully attached to my KCCC, but I would love to try a cream that works as well without the crunch (I scrunch it out when dry but sometimes it just drives me crazy).... my hair is fairly dense so I need something with some OOMPH.

Anything you are loving that is fairly easy to find and won't break the bank?
2C, low porosity, medium density
CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
Syler: KCCC. BRHG
Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:

Comments

• corinniePopcorinniePop Posts: 138Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to love Not Your Mother's Kinky Curly cream, but I haven't used it in a while. I adored it though, it's the only product I ever used up completely.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using CurlTalk App
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may want to try other "jelly" products that are easier to SOTC. Some of my favorites are Sevi Blue Yarrow Gel, UFD Curly Magic, Botanical Spirits jellies, homemade FSG or okra gel--just to name a few.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I don't think any curl cream is going to give you the same amount of hold as a gel or jelly.

I'd agree either try looking into a jelly styler (there's a whole jelly styler thread) or stick with the KCCC. Some jelly stylers will have even less crunch than KCCC. The agave is what gives KCCC the hold (and crunch). FSG has minimal crunch on me. It doesn't have a lot of hold but I don't often need it.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • nicolecatherinenicolecatherine Posts: 29Registered Users
    As far as cream stylers go I love my Shea Moisture Curling Smoothie, but I actually use it under KCCC. Although I've heard that many people use it alone and love it, as well as their Milk. If you're not absolutely set on a cream, I've heard Kinky Curly's Spiral Spritz makes a great styler. It has a lot of slip and feels a bit watery, almost like a thicker KCKT but thinner KCCC. I use it for second day hair. It dries pretty quickly and I don't think it would give any crunch. It holds really great, and you could use it as a refresher, too. Just a thought! :)
    Shea Moisture, AG, Ouidad, DevaCare, GHD, Kinky Curly
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know it's pricey but my God Oribe Curl gloss gel serum is beyond nice. No crunch but decent hold. Even for a weak one like me.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Curl Cream Light
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • AngelaE8654AngelaE8654 Posts: 1,099Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I keep on repeating this on different threads but I have stopped using curl cream completely and use Baby Magic Creamy Baby Oil. Nothing gives my curls the "oomph" that this stuff does. Nothing. Today I used less than normal on my hair and am having a "bad hair day", as I should have expected. It really, really, really brings out your curls in all their glory. I use the size of a fat fifty cent piece on each side of my hair.

There was a thread here on Mineral Oil for your curls which is where I got the idea in the first place. I find the creamy baby oil MUCH easier to work with and I don't get the "greasy look" that I get when I use baby oil or baby oil gel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier. :)
  • Keltey1031Keltey1031 Posts: 115Registered Users
    Not sure if you're still monitoring your thread, but I had a pretty good results today on first day hair using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie followed by Hask Controlled Curls Hair Defining Spray. The Smoothie alone doesn't give me enough hold, but like you KCCC left my hair very stiff and crunchy even though I loved the definition it gave my curls.

This morning, I plopped my wet hair in a t-shirt while getting ready for work. Before leaving the house, I upside-down scrunched a generous amount of SM Smoothie into my hair. Then, with my hair still upside-down, I sprayed quite a bit of the Hask Controlled Curls on both the top and bottom layers of my hair and scrunched again before flipping my hair over and scrunching for a final time.

The Hask Controlled Curls is a reformulation of the old Hask Pure Shine Spray It Curly...

Old Formula (Spray It Curly)
    Water, VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Copolymer, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Triethanolamine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, DMDM Hydantonin, Disodium Edta, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic acid, Peg-8 Dimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Fragrance

New Formula (Controlled Curls)
    Water/Eau (Aqua), VP/Methacrylamide/Vinyl Imidazole Copolymer, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Disodium EDTA, Peg-8 Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Triethanolamine, Phenylbenzimidazole Sulfonic Acid, DMDM Hydantonin, Fragrance/Parfum

The silicone is water-soluble and the Aloe is now higher up on the ingredients list.

I've included a few photos...the first is a reference for what my hair looks like without product and the following two are from late this afternoon after I had been running around in the 96+ degree heat and humidity and blasting my car's A/C.
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Keltey, you're hair is GORGEOUS! So envious of your length. :love10:
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Thank you for this!! I am a HUGE fan of the SheaMoisture Curl and Shine line of products in general, but I have yet to figure out how to use the smoothie. This is a huge help, thank you so much for taking me through your step-by-step process. I LOVE YOUR HAIR.
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • Keltey1031Keltey1031 Posts: 115Registered Users
    @eche428 -Thank you, thank you! :love7:
    @bluejacketsgirl - Thank you so much! The nice thing about both Shea Moisture and Hask products is they are both budget-friendly (big plus for me!). It has taken me quite a while experimenting with different products and techniques to get my hair to almost do what I want it to do. I mostly lurk around NC, but this community has been a gigantic help to me. Hopefully we're able to help you on your hair journey as well!
    2b/armpit length/high density/normal porosity/medium texture/normal elasticity
    Cut hair from mid-back length to armpit length on 9/19/15

Current Products
    SM Strengthen Grow & Restore Shampoo
    SM Coconut Water Fruit Fusion Shampoo
    SM Marfura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner
    HE Naked Volumizing Souffle

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file