3B routines in highly humid climates?

akalanchoeakalanchoe Posts: 2Registered Users
I am looking for a new routine.
Are there other 3B/3Cs living in highly humid climates? What is your routine?
I have 3b, moderately porous, extremely dense curls. I live in south Florida, and my hair is in a perpetual messy bun.
I have good hair days once in awhile, but by the late afternoon, I have to pull at least some of it back to avoid the triangle.

Current routine and products are:
Co-wash with V05 Herbal Essences conditioner
Apply Sallie's Cure Care leave in conditioner as my base
Section and apply either Ouidad Moisture Lock or Deva Care One Condition
Scrunch with Garnier Curl Scrunch
Plop for about 10-15 minutes
Air dry

I am looking for new products and am also going to start doing cold water rinses. Other ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't live in a humid climate myself, but when I go on my winter vacations to Cancun, I have a terrible time with the dew points and crazy humidity. I have dense, mostly porous hair as well. The only thing that has worked for me in humidity and high dews is an extremely firm holding gel, and diffusing. BRHG is the hardest holding gel for me yet, although LA Looks power spikes or sport gel come close. I try to regularly do apple cider vinegar rinses, and I also keep up with protein treatments. That helps me.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 668Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My suggestion would be to use a heavier leave-in and a strong gel like LA Looks. I know that I have to use those type of products or I will get that triangle look also regardless of the humidity.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^^ Agreed. Having recent success with Sheamoisture Smoothie/Devacurl Ultra defining gel...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • salty13salty13 Posts: 16Registered Users
    I live in South Louisiana/South Alabama so I feel your pain!
    I find that showering/diffusing at night has helped tremendously with the awful frizz. Sometimes I even shower/diffuse in the morning and still get great results.
    I use DevaCurl One Condition and DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel. I let it stay crunchy at night and scrunch out the crunch in the morning! I used to let it air dry but my hair can't handle that with the 24/7/365 humidity in this area.

Also, I noticed that you plop. I tried that as well but I did it overnight and it looked amazing right when I would take it out and about an hour or two later it was one giant frizz ball!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair is low porosity and extremely dense. I grew up in southern Louisiana so I understand the humidity your battling. I agree with a hard hold gel. Don't use glycerin, especially if it's high on a product's ingredients list. I leave in conditioner but I find I leave in a lot less in humidity and use a lot of gel instead.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • MiraaklesMiraakles Posts: 24Registered Users
    I'm still working out a routine.. But I like to flat iron my hair when I know i'm gonna be too busy to take care of it.. And I use a humidity serum by l'oreal. Works when I wear it natural too. Smells nice(not too heavy, smell disappears after about a minute) and I just go.

It's been raining a lot and Texas is just hot so it's been creating a lot of humidity.. But I still look fabulous.(thanks to the serum)
  • roonilwazlibroonilwazlib Posts: 15Registered Users
    I agree about avoid glycerin! Depends on your hair, but see if it helps. Once I found glycerin-free products it helped my frizz problem a lot.
    :flower:3A/B; high porosity; high density; medium width:flower:
  • DrRachDrRach Posts: 264Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I dont live in a humid climate either, I live in the UK where it rains frequently so is often very damp (but as its now summer its also very humid!) I go camping regularly so am used to managing my hair in very damp conditions and without my usual styling tools. I use Ouidad CC gel mainly when im away, as this gives me the best frizz-proofing! I normally use CJ PP, which is glycerine free, but i find that it doesnt perform as well the the Ouidad in the very challenging environment of a tent!
    3 b Baby fine, Low density, high porosity, naturally pale blonde. And a UK Curly Girl:thumbleft:
    No/Low Poo: Palmers Olive Oil Cowash
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    DT/PT: CJ Repair Me!, SM Fruit Fusion
    Stylers: LUS Curly 3in1 leave in

• NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A richer leave in with an emulsified harder hold gel is now working for me😁

3B, Fine, Med D, P & E

LowP: Giovanni 50/50
    RO: Giovanni 50/50
    LI: DevaOneC/SM Milks
    Gel: EcoStyler Argan Oil
    DC: SM JBCO/Fruit Fusion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • MelonnaBananaMelonnaBanana Posts: 9Registered Users
    I live in the southern east coast right on the atlantic. Literally live on an isle. I'm going to get so much flack for this but hawaiian silky 14 in 1 solved this exact hair problem for me. I tried so hard not to use it but i cracked one day after all my fellow mixed co-workers started using it and i was the only one with crazy hair. Im normally very anti certain products but this one was a winner for me and i'm not ashamed :tongue5: ok maybe a little ashamed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file