Hair Protection

russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi Wavies,

I'm on the lookout for any cool methods (besides hats and scarves) to protect my hair from the sun! What oils, products, etc do you use for UV protection?

Thanks!
2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I know coconut oil helps with limiting UV damage. There was a study done that specifically addressed it. I'm not a sun worshipper myself, since I burn not tan, so I don't use specific sun protection products on my hair. I do typically wear a hat or put my hair up to limit the UV exposure though. I happen to know that LALSG has Benzophenone-4, which is a UV filter, but of course hair products don't list an SPF like other cosmetic products. Polyquaternium-59 also helps prevent UV damage, and though it has moderate buildup potential, it might be better to have to clarify than to incur irreversible UV damage.

If you look up the Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair Care Products article here, it has a list of several UV filtering ingredients. There's also at least one article on nc.com that specifically discusses sun protectants for hair. Several of the products mentioned had amodimethicone, but there was at least one that was silicone free.

Top 15 Products With UV Protection

Protect Your Hair from the Sun - by Tonya McKay, the Curl Chemist

5 Hair Refreshers & Detanglers With SPF

Science-y Hair Blog: Summer Sun and Your Hair - This mostly discusses what UV damage does to hair, but might be worth reading.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I wear a hat, but that being said I use a mousse sometimes, Clairol 3-in-1, that has a sunscreen in it (ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, AKA octinoxate).

It's CG, found cheap on the lower shelf at CVS, and has a water soluble silicone. I like it OK enough to keep a can of it around.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file