Frizz fighting summer products

perfumedcurlsperfumedcurls Posts: 20Registered Users
I have 3a/3b, medium amount of fine textured hair, past shoulder length. As soon as springtime dampness starts, my hair becomes a poofy frizzball, and my standby Bioterra Gel does not perform as it does in winter. Does anyone please have any suggestions for defrizing styling products? My previous favorite summertime cocktail can no longer be made because Herbal Essences Body Envy Gel has been discontinued :(. tia!

Comments

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have very fine textured hair with high porosity. What's been working for me in the high dews (60+) we've been having, is to seal with an oil, squish in a good amount of Equate (Walmart's knock-off for KY) lube, and let partially dry (maybe 50%?). Then I go back & add my gel with a bit of water. I'll wait until it starts to set, and then diffuse until the gel's completely set, followed by air drying. I've been getting an easy 3 days out of this by doing a minor refresh every morning with wet hands, in the roots and over the canopy.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Curl Junkie Curl Queen
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Normally, I'd say Ouidad, but they've recently changed their formula and the jury is still out on whether or not it's any good.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Have you tried any of the other HE gels, such as their Max Hold Gel or Totally Twisted Gel? If not, they are certainly worth giving a try, if you are most interested in trying a gel that you can easily get off the ground and that is inexpensive too.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • perfumedcurlsperfumedcurls Posts: 20Registered Users
    Have you tried any of the other HE gels, such as their Max Hold Gel or Totally Twisted Gel? If not, they are certainly worth giving a try, if you are most interested in trying a gel that you can easily get off the ground and that is inexpensive too.

I have, and even though Set Me Up has almost identical ingredients, they are not quite the same. I was not a fan of Totally Twisted Gel. I'm thinking of trying Curl keeper again...I used it ages ago but I forget if it holds up in high dews and humidity,
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users

I have, and even though Set Me Up has almost identical ingredients, they are not quite the same. I was not a fan of Totally Twisted Gel. I'm thinking of trying Curl keeper again...I used it ages ago but I forget if it holds up in high dews and humidity,

Well, right now, Curlmart is having a 20% off sale, so giving Curl Keeper another try is definitely worth giving a shot. Or, even possibly Quidad's Climate Control Anti Humidity Gel. I know their a bit more expensive than your regular go-to products, however, CurlMart does offer such really great sales on a frequent basis, so that way you would be able to save on $$$.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • perfumedcurlsperfumedcurls Posts: 20Registered Users
    Thanks everyone!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I find that protein really helps. I did a CJ Repair Me treatment on Saturday morning, went to a wedding shower and had another curly ask why my hair wasn't frizzy. I use a lot of protein--do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. If my products don't have protein, I use a mild PT as first product on, a protein spray of Sea Kelp Bioferment (SKB.)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly_CakesCurly_Cakes Posts: 59Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    I have very fine textured hair with high porosity. What's been working for me in the high dews (60+) we've been having, is to seal with an oil, squish in a good amount of Equate (Walmart's knock-off for KY) lube, and let partially dry (maybe 50%?). Then I go back & add my gel with a bit of water. I'll wait until it starts to set, and then diffuse until the gel's completely set, followed by air drying. I've been getting an easy 3 days out of this by doing a minor refresh every morning with wet hands, in the roots and over the canopy.

Seconding the sealing. Oil works well to keep humidity out.
    2c/3a with maybe a bit of 3b around my temples
    Cowash-As I Am
    PT-GVP Reconstructing Conditioner
    DT-As I Am Hydration Elation
    RO-? GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI- As I Am or KCKT
    Styling products-KCCC or As I am Curling Jelly
    Sealers- SM Smoothie or Mizani Supreme oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights