gray hair, protein

rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
my hair texture is on the coarse side of medium (except for the hairs on very edge either side of my head, they seem fine).
my likes a small amount of protein,usually what is in my products is good and i will do a very occasional repair me protein treatment.
so yesterday used the repair me and my hair is it's usual very happy self after the protein treatment. today, 2nd day, it's even better. and, i am able to run my fingers thru the patch of hair that needs lots of leave in, sealant. and today i noticed that i can easily run my fingers thru that patch and did not do anything extra product-wise yesterday.

here is my question/thought --

any connection to that very white patch of hair and protein?
i'm thinking of the 2 articles tonya had written about gray hair and it's cortex.
(i will copy the links and put them in another post.).
if this is the case, then i may just do a spot protein treatment on that patch more often then the whole head.

anybody else have this experience?
any thoughts?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: curl junkie 
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think you're right. Even though I have naturally, very porous hair, I do have one curl clump on my right side towards the back, in the middle of my head that's almost white. I have to use maybe twice as much of a protein product to make it happy and not frizz or lose it's shape. Very annoying!
    i'm going to cautiously step up the protein treatments and see if that helps. ti reread tonya's article, Gray Hair: Causes and How to Care for It, and noticed she says to be sure to do deep conditioning protein treatments.

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My hair has never loved too much protein, just a regular protein conditioner used once a week has been enough, but lately my protein conditioner seems to be the only one that's working for me and keeping the frizz at bay. I'm letting the grey come in and even though it's early days I'm wondering if it's the increasing amount of grey that's thirsty for the protein. Hmm, will have to read those articles when I have more time.
    3b in South Australia.
    I don't know if it's the silver hair, naturally high porosity, or the horrendous dew points (hanging at 70 for over a month), but I've had to up my deep protein treatments to every week. Even though I do use products that contain protein, it's not enough. Without the deep treatment every week my curls become cotton candy poof. I've also had to change gels to keep the frizz at bay...currently using La Bella Max Hold, which has hydrolyzed wheat and oat proteins, and also keratin amino acids. Try as I may, the whole protein overload theory seems to be a complete fallacy as far as my hair is concerned.
    that's my hair exactly, well, the white patch on the left front side -- cotton candy! :eek:
    just did a protein treatment this morning, hair is still drying so i'll see how it goes. also, i am due for a haircut (going sat), so......

I'm sure a trim will help...after the initial hair shock thing wears off! Lol. I know it's said that hair is dead, but in my experience, and especially if you have curly hair, it has a mind of its own!
    Are there any particular protein treatments you use? I'm going for a trim tomorrow so I'll see if that helps and if not I think I may try a protein treatment.
    Availability of some brands may be an issue here but I can see what there is.
    3b in South Australia.
    i use curl junkie repair me. don't know if you can get it, but i love it. you don't do a conditioning treatment after as it is very conditioning. what i like is that i can decide to use as much or as little as i think my hair needs, so if i think just maybe a touch, i just use a tiny bit. and, i just apply it in the shower after i low poo, let it sit (sometimes with a plastic shower cap over it, sometimes not, depending on what i feel my hair wants), shower, then rinse, go on to adding leave in, plopping, etc.
    the bottle lasts me a long time.

I like cj things and used the banana hibiscus dc for a long time but I don't buy them any more because of the shipping costs. I still splash out now and again but the exchange rate is definitely not in my favour atm. I'll have to do a bit of research and see what I can get here, the only one I've tried before was a MOP one which was way too much for me, though it was a long time ago and before I started looking after my hair properly.
    Thanks.
    3b in South Australia.
    I've tried some of those types of shampoos, and my hair always objected...very drying. What's worked for me to combat the yellowing dingees, is the "Red Gold Corrector Plus," found at Sally's Beauty Supply in the hair coloring area. I add 2-3 drops to my lo-poo shampoo in my hand, mix a bit, and wash as normal. It's a tiny bottle, but it lasts me quite awhile. I use it once or twice a month. I'll usually massage my scalp, work it thoughout my hair, and then let it sit a minute or two before I wash it out. It never fails to brighten up my silver curls. I've tried putting it in my conditioner, but I think it seems to work better with the shampoo.
    i, too, tried those shampoos at first and found them very drying, and one caused a reaction on my scalp and skin.
    and i too love the ardell's red/gold corrector. never tried it in my shampoo but mix it in conditioner and use it once every few weeks or so. because i use my conditioner of choice, it's never drying. and, it does not ever turn my hair blue as some of those shampoos can.
    every head of hair is different, so yours may prefer the blue shampoos.

updating this because i continue to do protein treatments with cj repair me (on a more frequent basis) and my hair keeps getting better, actually shiny, soft and very curly. i truly believe white/gray hair needs more protein ( based on my hair, LOL!).

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well that makes sense because isn't it naturally more porous?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    i don't know if it is or not, or if it's the hollow cortex, but it does lose moisture rapidly and it seems to love protein. i guess i am amazed at how it responds to the protein because in the past (when i was coloring my hair) it loved occasional protein treatments, so i continue to use it more and more frequently in a cautious way. instead of once very 2 months, i am now using it once every 2 weeks. i see a lot of repair me in my cj black friday sale cart, LOL!)

i know in the past i did not use protein treatments in winter when dew points were so low. so i am assuming that i will need to do pts less often in low dews?

Hmmm. I don't know that that would change it.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    the good thing is that repair me is user-friendly, so i can use as much or as little as i want, and can apply it to just certain areas. so i guess i will keep experimenting.

Repair me was way too heavy for me :(
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love GPB and Repair Me! My hair seems to just soak them both up. I've found as I lose more pigment and highlight more that my hair definitely needs more protein.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    My hair's never loved protein but I used to use a protein conditioner once a fortnight or so just because I thought I should. A little while ago my hair started misbehaving and the only time it looked ok was when I used the protein, so I started using it a lot more. Having read a couple of things on here I thought it was due to the grey coming in but now it seems to have gone back to the way it was before and I've had to cut right back on it again. I have no idea what's going on.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CandySparklesCandySparkles Posts: 66Registered Users
    I am going to have to look into the Repair Me. I love products with sunflowerseed oil in them.

My hair is dyed, but over the past few years, much of the gray has become very coarse and wiry - kinky is the correct term I think.

It is super frizzy. OMG. I hate it. Six or seven years ago, I didn't have to do much to my hair, now it is a nightmare just due to the texture change. The techniques/products here have helped, though. It looks 75% better than it would if I didn't do any of the things I've learned here.

I had been using a rinse out conditioner with keratin, but I ran out a few months back. This thread is making me realize that I may need to get some protein in there, as my hair really feels worse than ever these days.
    2c/3a
    75% coarse
    25% medium
    Low elasticity when wet, normal when dry
    Porosity- Low/normal roots through mid, slightly porous at ends

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file