Products you like/ dislike

AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
Hello!
Im low porosity with hair that hates products with the main ingrediant being coconut oil and my hair doesnt like protein. My hair can get hard from aloe vera juice too, im iffy about the gel.I guess my strands are medium density, and theres alot of them. Im iffy also about glycerin too.

Kinky Curly Knot Today
I tried this leave in a few times. I think its a good detangler, but it makes my hair somewhat limp and kind of dry when applied on dampish hair. Im going to try it again on soaked hair right after a shower.

Curl enhancing smoothie
My hair HATED this stuff. Even though it's thick and creamy, it always dried hard and flakey and leaves me with dried out hair.

Superfruit Complex masque
LOVE THIS MASQUE
I was shocked that it worked, considering coconut oil is up pretty high on the list. It gave me nice slip and my hair felt soft after detangling.

Raw shea butter deep treatment masque
Hated this crap. My hair likes shea butter, yet this stuff didnt do anything to strands. After washing it off, I felt like I didnt even condition at all.

Jamaican black castor oil and acv shampoo
not bad. Is the only shampoo i use from shea moisture and I can detangle my hair with it. I dont feel that it cleans my scalp immensely, but it is alright. That could be from my washing technique also.
It suds up ALOT so you dont need much. My hair doesnt feel stripped after washing, but also not moisturized

Cream of nature argon shampoo.
I used to LOVEEEEEE the old formula. I thought it was a conditioner at first because the slip was soooooo good. Then they changed the formula and my hair felt drier. I hate it now.

Oyin handmade hair dew
Iffy about this one.
I love the smell, but feel its more of a light moisturizee then a leave in. Im going to try it om soaking wet hair first though. I also have the pomade that smells like brownies. Its a bit thick and i prefer to use it on my ends, too thick for my strands.

Curl& style milk
Like it much better than the smoothie.
I like it.
Havent used it as a leave in but its decent for a styler.
I like the consistency.

Almond Jai twisting butter
I had SOO many high hopes for this product. I first applied it to my hands and it made it feel kinda of dry. It had a light consistency depite being a butter. I applied it as the only product in my hair and then twisted. My hair felt dry while applying it. After untwisting, i was left with dry hair with a film. My hair wasnt even moisturized enough to seperate my hair. I was upset because the ingredients appeared to be good for my hair and doesnt seem to have anything that I dislike in my hair, unless my hair also hates rice milk.

Cantu sheabutter leave in " the original"
First leave in I tried. I liked this stuff. Only issue is the mineral oil. It can build up on your hair so I didnt use it as a moisturizer and instead a one time styler.

Sorry in advance for the long post. Also post your hair characteristics!
And if anyone has the same characteristics as me, please post the products that you like, thanks!

Comments

• ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405
    This is a good one..

Well, I have dry 4c hair, that is probably normal to high porosity and tangles super easy.

- Oyin Juices & Berries Sprays, all three of them. They give softness and relief to my dry scalp. Plus they all smell good!

- Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie.. horrible as a deep conditioner but awesome on towel dried hair for Curlformers or two strand twists.

- Shea Moisture Retention Conditioner.. Good for dry two strand twists.

- Shea Moisture Curling Souffle.. Great for styling on damp hair in the summer time! I think it's that glycerin that keeps the hair moist. In all honesty, this is the only product that I've ever applied once and didn't have to apply anything again for like 5 days. Don't know why I don't use it more.

- Bee Mine Kiwi Scalp Serum.. it smells good and makes my scalp tingle, love it for scalp massages. Not too sure about the hair thickness or growth, though...

- Aubrey Organics GBP Conditioner.. a great light protein conditioner.

If I come up with more genuine likes, I'll add.
    I have so many dislikes from trial and error that it's not even funny.
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • ReynaCRReynaCR Registered Users Posts: 405
    Wow I just realized I don't know of any good deep conditioners or shampoos... don't know what makes a good deep conditioner... hmm..
    :queen: Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
  • AfromuffinAfromuffin Registered Users Posts: 158
    I guess a good conditioner varies person by person
    But in general I guess it just adds softness in the hair
  • ParatyParaty Registered Users Posts: 394
    Our hair has similar properties as far as low porosity. I also watch out for what I call the three-headed monster (castor, coconut and aloe together) since they mimic both proteins and humectants. I can use them in moderation, but when they are together, the product dries out my hair. Jamaican black castor oil for example works wonders for my hair on its own. I also limit use of straight proteins and glycerin since they can harden and dry low porosity hair. Hydrolyzed Keratin is the only protein my hair likes if I keep a moisture balance.

For deep conditioners, I posted recommendations in this thread and will include Dove Pure Care Dry oil conditioner as a silicone-free drugstore option (Walmart):
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/low-porosity/176958-deep-conditioning.html

For products, I have loved and hated many things since 2007 including As I Am, Eden Body Works, Curl Junkie, Camille Rose, Deva, Kinky-Curly, Oyin, Elucence, Keracare, Cantu, Sheamoisture, Tigi, KBB, Jessicurl, Kenra, Moroccanoil, Mizani, Alikay, Abba, Alba, Creme of nature Argan, Aubrey, MyHoneyChild, Giovanni, Biolage, Paul Mitchell, Chi, everything at Whole Foods and probably more if I think back. I try to leave product reviews when it is HG or really disliked by my hair.

For the Kinky-Curly Knot Today I would say to try it soaking wet and warm it up first so it soaks in. For the Oyin Hair Dew, I used it for three years before realizing it was drying out my hair. Two hairstylists pointed out how dry my hair was before I admitted it to myself and found another leave-in.

Current Hair loves

Paul Mitchell The Conditioner (leave-in and styler)
    Curl Junkie Curl Rehab (sealing moisturizer)
    Camille Rose Coconut Water Style setter (sealing moisturizer/styler- a thicker version of Oyin Hair Dew---still trying out, great moisture so far, but it has the three ingredients that tend to dry me out)
    Wild Growth Oil (sealing moisturizer)
    Natures Gate Vitamin E oil blend (sealing moisturizer and styler)
    Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner (conditioner, leave-in and styler)

No loves

Sheamoisture anything (Masque, black soap conditioner, curl milk, JBCO leave-in all sat on hair, leaving it puffy and dried out)
    EBW Souffle (moisturizing at first, dried out hair with buildup).
    EBW Curl cream (sat on hair, dull and greasy)
    Alikay leave-in (dried out)
    Tigi Moisture Maniac (dull and dried out)
    Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner (dry, dry unrecognizable hair)

Questionable

Many Camille Rose products start off delivering moisture, then my hair gets used to it or it begins leaving my hair dry and coated. Has anyone else experienced this or has tips for how they use? I cycle the Curl Love Milk and the Aloe Butter Gel in and out of rotation for this reason.
    Hair • Wellness • Style Blog

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
    I just purchased the jbco leave in lol.
    Ive tried it on one twist, seems to harden a bit after applying. If it doesnt work, ill take it back to walgreens.

When you say warming the kinky curly up, do you mean like in the microwave? Sounds familiar to what people did in the mhm
    Afromuffin wrote: »
    I just purchased the jbco leave in lol.
    Ive tried it on one twist, seems to harden a bit after applying. If it doesnt work, ill take it back to walgreens.

When you say warming the kinky curly up, do you mean like in the microwave? Sounds familiar to what people did in the mhm

No. Warm it up in a bowl of warm or hot water. Microwaving may destroy the formulation + make it too hot for your hair. I use little jars to put product, then submerge it in a bowl or sink full of hot water.

It sounds like you are still experimenting, but looking for some staples. To save you the trouble, I can confidently say that out of the dozens of products I posted and tried, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner is the one that works best for my hair type and plays well with creams + gels. MahoganyCurls on Youtube also uses it along with her other staples. The other product lines were fun to try, but left my hair oily + dry at the same time. PM is sold at Ulta, JC Penney salon and other local salons with frequent sales. I like it best topped with CJ Rehab, Elucence MB, CR Coconut Style Setter or a non-glycerin gel. Good luck!

Routine: Cleanse Kenra Clarifying, Deep Co with Matrix Biolage Balm + oil (EVOO, avocado, KCPP or Wild Growth oil),:glasses1:Style with Matrix Biolage Balm + KCPP; or Aloe water + KCPP + KCCC; or CR Almond Jai + styler (KCCC, KCPP or Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Treluxe combo (Treluxe UK leave-in, KCPP, Treluxe Hi Def gel); or Eco gel alone (Argan or Olive). Avoiding Buildup with low glycerin, coconut, shea, honey, non-keratin protein.
    Thank you so much!
    Is Paul Mitchell all natural though or do you have a suggestion for a all natural leave in that doesn't contain aloe or coconut?
    And I agree about the Shea moisture.
    I tried the jbco leave in, made my hair really hard sadly. the curl and style milk is alright.
    do you know anyway to revamp the oyin hair dew?
    I don't want to waste it.
    Same with the kinky curly knot today.
    I searched and some put castor oil in it to go through the bottle quicker, I don't think my hair minds castor, but I may use grape seed oil instead
    Afromuffin wrote: »
    Thank you so much!
    Is Paul Mitchell all natural though or do you have a suggestion for a all natural leave in that doesn't contain aloe or coconut?

Paul Mitchell isn't all natural, but it is salon quality so I get consistent results from it. I also do not have to use a lot to get results. It contains a water soluble (PEG) silicone that washes away with water, no sulfates needed.

For repurposing the KCKT, I like to layer it with Wild Growth oil, Rosemary EO, Castor oil or the Natures Gate Vitamin E blend (has grape seed, safflower, vitamin e and calendula). For repurposing the Hair Dew, I finished it up as an overnight DC on damp hair then shampoo'd it out in the morning.

For all natural leave-in suggestions, I have found few natural lines marketed for dry type 3 or 4 hair that provide my hair with enough moisture or do not have aloe or coconut. They all build up eventually and leave my hair oily +dry. That is why I stuck with KCKT for so long because the ingredient list was basic and I could layer more moisturizing stylers or deep conditioners on top. Maybe try Curl Junkie Beauticurls leave-in or their Smoothing Lotion which has neither aloe nor coconut oil. I prefer using their Curl Rehab because it is concentrated so a little goes a long way and I can use it alone or layered over Paul Mitchell. Another new combo I am liking when not using PM is going back to KCKT then using a moisturizing styler on top like the CR Coconut Style Setter or MoroccanOil Curl Control Mousse. The Mousse is argan oil based with a water soluble silicone, hydrogenated castor oil and wheat protein, which does not harden my protein sensitive hair.

• hayyalleehayyallee Registered Users Posts: 13
    I strongly dislike the entire Creme of Nature Argan Oil line. I had used the shampoo a year or so ago when I had a sew-in and I remember it making my extensions feel and smell great, but my actual hair that was left out felt dry and stripped worse than any other shampoo I'd ever used, and it was sulfate free! I'm a Curlbox subscriber and last month was a box full of this line, I was disappointed but I decided to try the other products just in case. NOPE, they all pretty much did the same thing the shampoo did. I have a hunch that it might be the way my hair reacts to Argan oil, I don't think they agree. I used to use a detangling conditioner from Perfect Results that I LOVED, then they changed the recipe and added argan oil & it wasn't doing the job like it used to, and instead of feeling super moisturized as usual, it felt dry and brittle.

One product I LOVEEEE though is the Superfruit Complex Hair Mask from Shea Moisture, CHILE IT'S AMAZING! My hair felt super soft after the first use and after the third use it felt stronger and I've noticed a LOT less breakage since I've been using it. I use it every week and deep condition with it after I wash. It makes my hair feel invincible.
  • Kelechi125Kelechi125 Registered Users Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    I know I definitely dislike the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file