Flat, undefined hair, desperate for drying methods!!!!

zwavyzwavy Posts: 30Registered Users
Ok, I know I've already posted, like, 3 things on here about this, but it's getting on my nerves. I have type 2b-ish hair on a good day, and I have tried almost every drying method right out of the shower, from plopping to deva clips to diffuser to t-shirt (which i still use), but none of them work when i get out of the shower. Every day after the initial washing day is fine with definition and such, but when it comes to drying my hair out of the shower, I cannot find anything that works. My hair, especially at the roots, is still flat and limp when it dries after my shower, and my ends always seem to dry faster than my roots (and frizzier). Does anyone have tips????? I use a curl cream and gel together, and they seem to work for me every day except the wash day. I think it has to do with the water weighing down my hair, because on 2nd and 3rd day hair, I use a spray bottle and all is good in the world.
Thanks!!!!
2a/2b fine(ish) waves with low porosity and medium thickness.
Current shampoo (I switch it up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine
Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
Gel: LA Looks Sport Gel
Cream: OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection
Leave-in: Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture
I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.

Comments

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I tend to have hair that really likes to stick to the top of my head, especially in the back. I have more pattern to my roots on the sides at the top than in the back. I have a rough time with really wet hair as well - I wrap mine up in a microfiber towel for a while before adding my products to it. I use a spray bottle to add moisture back if my hair seems too dry in the styling phase, or I use wet hands to distribute products. There's a really happy medium between too wet and too dry, and it took my some trial and error to get it right. I don't always get it right anyway!

Here are a few of things I do that help a little bit:

I pixie diffuse, and while I have the ends of my hair in the bowl of the diffuser, I take the end of a rat tail comb (or a pencil, or a chopstick, or anything long and thin that won't catch in my hair) and run it along the part and lift it away from my scalp a bit. This helps to give my hair a little bit of lift.

I don't put any clips in until the gel has had a chance to dry a little bit - this gives the clips something to grab on to. I do have to make sure that I put some kind of product closer to the roots in order to get this to work well.

Sometimes after I've dried the ends up a little I'll lift away from my scalp and place the fingers of my diffuser in through my hair at toward the top of my head to create some lift or volume there. I do this while I hand my head strongly to the side in order to get the fingers in there.

I have also had some success with using mousse mostly at the roots and gel over that.

I'm great at using duckbill clips at the back of my head but not so much on the sides. I am using mostly the two-prong clips or small octopus clips to help lift the hair away from my scalp as it finishes drying.

Lastly, I try not to sweat it so much - I will never really have a great deal of volume there and I would probably look strange if I did ;-) I think your hair is beautiful! Sometimes dealing with our natural hair also means coming to terms with what it is, what it isn't, and what it won't be.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is there a reason you use both a curl cream and a gel? I'm wondering if this maybe just be too heavy for your hair (which may explain why 2nd day hair looks better, because the product has absorbed more and your hair is 'drier'). Have you tried just using a gel on its own?

Just my opinion here, but I've always thought if you had a good gel there was no need for other stylers like creams too (of course, still use a leave-in conditioner). I think two styling type products, especially a cream, which can be quite thick, may be overkill for your hair.

Also, in my experience, curl creams in general just tend to make my hair look a bit 'eh'. I normally just stick with some leave-in and a gel. It might be worth a try just using the gel alone and seeing how you get on
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • zwavyzwavy Posts: 30Registered Users
    I have tried using a gel on its own, but it makes my hair suuuuper dry on the ends, and usually it doesn't encourage my wave right out of the shower, they just get wonky. The curl cream I'm using is actually what i started on when I stopped straightening my hair, so I figured I would try it with the gel. It works great on 2nd and 3rd day hair, but again, not great on 1st day.
    Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
    I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you use a leave-in or just the gel fully by itself? I'd always say to use a leave-in under a styler, especially gel.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    I have tried a leave-in with gel, but it weighed down my hair. :-/ Maybe it will work if i try it again. It did make my ends reeeally soft.
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If I use any leave in conditioner, it is a really minute amount, applied at the end of my shower to squish water out - I just coat the hair minimally. I have a hard time with larger amounts or creams as they also weigh my fine hair down.

What helps my hair a lot to add moisture back in (I often skip leave ins especially in summer) is the Spritz and Condish method (basically a conditioner prepoo). This really saves my bacon in dry weather. I have to rinse out all my conditioner in the shower.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    The only other option would be to be very careful not to get any product anywhere near your roots. Roots are a much lower porosity than the ends on pretty much everybody. Also, on some people, the curl won't form until a few inches from the roots. I'm not sure what you want your roots to look like, but that may be just the way they are. No product on the roots will help drying time and the flatness. Diffusing upside down is your best bet. Also, flipping your hair over and fluffing at your roots when dry will help for a short time.

Side note: If you have hard water, you may want to try a chelating treatment. Sally's ION Crystal Clarifying treatment is the best that I've ever used. Those hard water treatment shampoos from Malibu didn't do a thing for me.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Zwavy, it would be super helpful to know your properties! I'm noticing people are posting these less and less.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    I'm a 2a-2b, have normal thickness strands and low density, medium porosity, and normal elasticity!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I absolutely have to clip the crown to dry no matter what.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    How do you clip, chupie?? Every time I've tried clipping, the volume is good, but my roots look really piecey and frizzy.
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    zwavy wrote: »
    How do you clip, chupie?? Every time I've tried clipping, the volume is good, but my roots look really piecey and frizzy.

I have a couple of vids here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ. You might also put a little of your gel on the clips before you put them in if you need some oomph.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file