Question about DevaCurl/other products

I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I just got a Deva Cut yesterday and so far am loving it although she did tell me that it will take a while until we are able to grow things out properly and get it completely cut properly. She of course recommended the Deva Curl line to me but I had a couple of questions.

She mentioned that the line is designed to work only with it's own products and that adding any other product lines in will compromise it's ability to work properly by sealing the cuticle and not allowing it to absorb moisture from the air due to the inclusion of plastics within most products. Is this true?

I have been using KCCC and Spiralicious gel and really like the combo and even have liked my hair with just the KCCC on it. I have been low-pooing so going no-poo would be definite change for me. While I like the way my hair looked after she styled it, it definitely is less curly/tight than I was getting before. Would it really be harmful to add in the KCCC along with the Deva ultra defining gel? Is it really that much better than using what I am currently using? I also think I need a protein treatment and a deep conditioner. Do these need to be DevaCurl as well or can I use the Curl Junkie line?

I just bought a sample pack so will see what I think after a week. Thanks so much. I know its a lot of questions.

Kristen

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Total BS. Most people mix products from different lines all the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    buckeyegal wrote: »
    I am new to the forum so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong place. I just got a Deva Cut yesterday and so far am loving it although she did tell me that it will take a while until we are able to grow things out properly and get it completely cut properly. She of course recommended the Deva Curl line to me but I had a couple of questions.

She mentioned that the line is designed to work only with it's own products and that adding any other product lines in will compromise it's ability to work properly by sealing the cuticle and not allowing it to absorb moisture from the air due to the inclusion of plastics within most products. Is this true?

I have been using KCCC and Spiralicious gel and really like the combo and even have liked my hair with just the KCCC on it. I have been low-pooing so going no-poo would be definite change for me. While I like the way my hair looked after she styled it, it definitely is less curly/tight than I was getting before. Would it really be harmful to add in the KCCC along with the Deva ultra defining gel? Is it really that much better than using what I am currently using? I also think I need a protein treatment and a deep conditioner. Do these need to be DevaCurl as well or can I use the Curl Junkie line?

I just bought a sample pack so will see what I think after a week. Thanks so much. I know its a lot of questions.

Kristen

Some Deva stylists are "product pushas", so they will encourage you to buy and use Deva products only. A stylist can make product recommendations, but you are under no obligation to buy any or all of the products that they recommend. Like the old saying goes "if it's not broke, then don't fix it". You have found a good combo that works well for your curls (KCCC+ Spiralicious gel), so I see no need to stop using that. Also, if low pooing has been working well for your hair, then I see absolutely no reason to change to exclusively no pooing your hair, if your hair is not being damaged or harmed in any way by low pooing.

The Deva products didn't work for my hair at all. They ended up making my hair very dry and straw like. I actually had to stop use of these products, in order to get my hair back into balance.

And, when it comes to incorporating a protein treatment and conditioner into your haircare regimen, you don't have to spend a lot on such (unless you want to). You can always choose to go the cheaper route. As, i know that I use a mix of both expensive and cheap products in my hair, and my hair is thriving very well.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • buckeyegalbuckeyegal Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thank you. I had a feeling it was just the party line I was given about the deva curl line. I have only bought the sample pack to try and so far my feelings are mixed. One side of my hair looks good but the other side doesn't and has a fair amount of frizz which is driving me nuts. Going to give it a few times to see but thankful I only have the sample pack at this point. I just wish I could get samples of other products to try. Thanks
  • ttoosdayttoosday Posts: 509Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It is so peculiar to me that sooo many people have started out with the Deva line, and then say it didn't work for them. I did the same thing several months ago! It's like trying on that first wedding dress sample after dreaming about it since a little girl and being so disappointed when it did not look anything like I'd been picturing. Then moving on to something completely different. Yes, thank goodness for the sample sizes. I didn't even get halfway through those. Although to be fair, I will say maybe expectations are too high for those starting out, especially those with damaged hair, no product whatsoever was going to make a difference in the first couole of weeks for me. Deva could have been a bad experience for me just because I was clueless and it was the first thing I tried.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ttoosday wrote: »
    It is so peculiar to me that sooo many people have started out with the Deva line, and then say it didn't work for them. I did the same thing several months ago! It's like trying on that first wedding dress sample after dreaming about it since a little girl and being so disappointed when it did not look anything like I'd been picturing. Then moving on to something completely different. Yes, thank goodness for the sample sizes. I didn't even get halfway through those. Although to be fair, I will say maybe expectations are too high for those starting out, especially those with damaged hair, no product whatsoever was going to make a difference in the first couole of weeks for me. Deva could have been a bad experience for me just because I was clueless and it was the first thing I tried.

This is true for me as well. I'm not sure if it didn't work for me because my hair was so used to silicones and sulfates or if it just wasn't great for my hair! Suffice it to say I haven't tried it since and I have no idea how it would work on me now lol. And at this point, I'm gun shy and don't want to spend the money to try it again.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • buckeyegalbuckeyegal Posts: 3Registered Users
    Today is day 2 and while my curls look ok on day two I seek to have a fair amount of frizz, especially on my crown. I refreshed with a small amount of diluted conditioner and set it free and it just seems dry and frizzy Going to try a protein treatment and deep moisturizing treatment and go from their.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file