How do I get this olive oil out of my hair?! HELP!!

So last night I tried to deep condition using extra virgin olive oil and this morning my hair is a greasy, stringy mess and I don't know what to do to get it out! Clearly, I used too much!

Here's what I did last night:
- Put EVOO on my dry hair
- Put hair in shower cap & let sit for an hour
- Washed out with what I THOUGHT was a sulfate-free shampoo* (see below)
- Used Suave Naturals conditioner as a rinse out and leave in
- Used ECO styler olive oil gel in soaking wet hair, plopped a little, diffused a little, went to bed almost totally dry

*Note on the shampoo: I haven't used shampoo since going CG about 4 weeks ago. I figured since I used the EVOO it would probably be a good idea to use a sulfate free cleanser to make sure I washed it all out, so I pulled out an old bottle of shampoo from my pre-CG days whose label says it is salt, sulfate, silicone, formaldehyde, and paraben free. However, when I woke up this morning to this oil slick on my head I actually read the ingredients and found Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate/Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate as the SECOND ingredient, along with other ingredients with "sodium" in the name. Whenever I would use this shampoo pre-CG it wouldn't really lather, so I assumed from that and the label that it was CG friendly, but last night when I was using it to wash out the EVOO it really lathered, which I found odd.

Does anyone have any tips for getting all this EVOO out of my hair? Do I need to go full-sulfate poo and get it over with or can it be accomplished with ACV or cowashing?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using CurlTalk App

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    olive oil does not moisturize your hair, it merely seals in moisture.

the 2x i tried olive oil (just a tiny bit) it took several low poo washings to get it out.
    i suggest using a sulfate shampoo one time to get most of it out. then you can condition with a regular or deep conditioner.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yeah, never confuse oils with conditioning.

It may take 2 or 3 washes in the same shower to remove all of the oil, especially if you really slathered it on. It used to take me 2 washes.

Your shampoo is sulfate free, it just has other harsh surfactants that are not a "sulfate". Sodium is a salt, not a sulfate. Sulfate free shampoos are not all created equal. But they do still lather. If you want a non-lathering poo, you'd have to go full conditioner - and even then they can lather.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pre poo and slather on an unholy amount of EVOO every week to "coat" my hair before I shower and I use sulfate free shampoo. Post conditioner it feels fine. In the past, if I ever used too much oil, co washing would totally fix it. Conditioner kind of emulisfying water and oil to make it come out while not defeating the purpose of using oil in the first place. Perhaps you could add the oil to a conditioner next time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • sarajane82sarajane82 Posts: 77Registered Users
    Thanks, y'all. I ended up doing an ACV rinse, followed by another wash with that same shampoo, and that got it almost totally out. I did a cowash last night and I think I'm EVOO-free now.

I'm not really sure if I need to mix the EVOO with the conditioner or just avoid it all together. I'm new to all of this and I don't really ever deep condition but I feel like maybe it's time to add it to my routine. I'm finally getting to where I have found some products that work fairly decently for me, but I still have a TON of frizz (I live in the southeast U.S. and it's so humid here). I must've misunderstood the use of the EVOO, I thought I could use it to get rid of the frizz.

• FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sarajane82 wrote: »
    Thanks, y'all. I ended up doing an ACV rinse, followed by another wash with that same shampoo, and that got it almost totally out. I did a cowash last night and I think I'm EVOO-free now.

I'm not really sure if I need to mix the EVOO with the conditioner or just avoid it all together. I'm new to all of this and I don't really ever deep condition but I feel like maybe it's time to add it to my routine. I'm finally getting to where I have found some products that work fairly decently for me, but I still have a TON of frizz (I live in the southeast U.S. and it's so humid here). I must've misunderstood the use of the EVOO, I thought I could use it to get rid of the frizz.

I use sooo many oils every day and do really well with it, in saying that olive oil is once of the few oils that my hair really cant take. Nice that you got it all out, if you want to try it again, then use way less or just on the ends. Try using a lighter oil for a start, grapeseed or coconut apricote oil is a nice begging choice

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    In my experience, a good gel helps more with frizz than any oil ever would. However, it is great for sealing your hair underneath a gel. You should only ever put it on your ends - with just 1 or 2 drops depending on your length. I've never really found a need to put it all over my hair as it just ends up greasy and gross.

Another note - it takes oils a great deal of time to penetrate your hair. If you're putting oil on your whole head as a treatment for just an hour, it's not really doing anything for you. If you want to do an oil treatment, leave it on overnight so it's sitting on your hair for at least 6 hours. 8+ hours is ideal.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • sarajane82sarajane82 Posts: 77Registered Users
    Thanks for the pointers, guys! I might try a lighter oil on the tips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file