A boy trying to grow an afro

Afroboy1996Afroboy1996 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hello I am afroboy1996 and I just cut my hair off and decided to join this forum cause I wanna grow an afro for 7 years without touching

I'm happy to be here and hope y'all will help a youngin out

Comments

• Afroboy1996Afroboy1996 Posts: 3Registered Users
    This is where I am now
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome!

Since I see that your hair is cut very short at this time, as your hair starts to grow out more,and gain more length, that would be the perfect time to incorporate a hair pick into your daily haircare routine. As, the usage of a hair pick will go a much long way, versus simply trying to achieve the look of a fro by simply using your fingers only. As, you would simply pick your hair out, when it comes to styling it daily, in order for you to gain more length and more height to your hair, so that it can start to form a 'fro. However, it is still important to still see a barber so that your Afro can maintain a shapely look to it. Because if not, then your Afro will end up looking all uneven and out of shape.

Hopefully, this information is helpful to you.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • nappymiminappymimi Posts: 75Registered Users
    Hiya, for growth, get castor,coconut & olive oils. you can either use them alone or combine 2 or three. Simply warm up the oil/oils and apply to your hair. you can apply to only your scalp & do a scalp massage.

also do this before washing your hair. fall in love with your conditioner & condition after every shampoo.

Reduce the use of combs & picks. as your hair grows longer,washing will be harder because of tangles so divide your hair into sections & wash.

make a simple leave in conditioner/moisturizer to prevent dryness by mixing a regular conditioner,water & an oil eg coconut oil in a spray bottle or water,glycerin and an oil. Also apply this before you detangle or comb your hair.

Always oil your ends.

Manipulate your hair as little as possible. Do co washes (washing your hair with conditioner).

hope it helps!
  • nappymiminappymimi Posts: 75Registered Users
    After washing,always apply an oil and/or hair butter eg Shea butter to damp hair.

Gels can dry out your hair so always spray your leave in conditioner lightly first & better still make a simple curling pudding http://t.co/qKmT5T9MGh with just 3 ingredients.

A curly pudding is a moisturizing styling product for many hairstyles including defining your natural hair pattern & in the link above,its made from a clear gel, oil & Shea butter but u can skip the Shea butter if it's too heavy on ur hair or if u don't like it.

You can stretch your afro by doing single braids at night then taking them down in the morning.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    nappymimi wrote: »
    Hiya, for growth, get castor,coconut & olive oils. you can either use them alone or combine 2 or three. Simply warm up the oil/oils and apply to your hair. you can apply to only your scalp & do a scalp massage.

also do this before washing your hair. fall in love with your conditioner & condition after every shampoo.

Reduce the use of combs & picks. as your hair grows longer,washing will be harder because of tangles so divide your hair into sections & wash.

make a simple leave in conditioner/moisturizer to prevent dryness by mixing a regular conditioner,water & an oil eg coconut oil in a spray bottle or water,glycerin and an oil. Also apply this before you detangle or comb your hair.

Always oil your ends.

Manipulate your hair as little as possible. Do co washes (washing your hair with conditioner).

hope it helps!

I know that you are trying to provide helpful tips, which I totally commend you for, however, I just thought that I would add in this important info about your recommending that he reduce the use of combs and picks in his hair, as well as providing some other very pertinent info as well. A hair pick is very essential to maintaining an Afro, as this is something that has been used many, many years by individuals of color both males and females, in order to keep their Afros well picked out and keep them maintained in true Afro form. Also, outside of such, his regimen can be kept totally simple, with him either simply cleansing with a non sulfate shampoo and following this up with a hydrating conditioner once a week. Or, he can simply choose to use a cleansing conditioner to CoWash with it once a week instead, and simply follow up with a product that will provide his hair with sheen and add moisture to it, without weighing it down. And, he can simply maintain his Afro in a really simple, very easy to manage way.

I have black males within my multicultural family (that have hairtypes that range from wavy to very tightly coiled) that wear their hair in all different types of styles. And, I have been in black barbershops on occasions, and have seen how black males have their hair done, when it comes to different stylings. Plus, within my home is a black male, who doesn't buy shampoo or conditioner for his hair, and never has. He lets the water from the shower rinse out the styling product from his hair, he goes to bed without applying anything to his hair, and the only thing that he uses to maintain is hair is a comb and a spray moisturizer, which he uses in his hair in the mornings to style it with. Outside of this, he goes to the barber on a regular basis, and that is his very low maintenance regimen that has been working for him, and that he swears by. All of the black males that I have ever personally known and have been witness to them styling their hair, have low maintenance regimens. While on the other side, things are different, when it comes to women of color and how they (including myself -a mixed raced woman of color) choose to manage their hair instead.
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file