Learning to Love my Wavy Hair!

hellokt1813hellokt1813 Posts: 10Registered Users
Hello! I've recently decided to put down my hair straightener and embrace my natural curls and this website has been very helpful. Thank you!

All this time, I have cursed my frizzy hair wishing it were straight. My hair was straight until I was 10 when it started sprouting curls/waves and a whole lot of frizz. This meant a lot of pony tails and updos-- which on the bright side, helped me be sort of a self-braiding expert. I can do French, Dutch, Crown, Fishtail braids and 3-,4- and 5-strand braids on my own hair. Necessity, and all that.

When I was in high school, I decided to experiment with Japanese chemical straightening-- it scalds your scalp when the chemical trickles that way but I get stick-straight, silky, shiny hair for a few months until it grows out. I finally decided to release myself from such torture and just straighten my hair myself using a straightening iron, and this has been my go-to style most days. For me, it was less stressful and I don't have to put too many products in my hair for me to look put together. But then it meant split ends and generally unhealthy hair.

But recently, I met a new friend who had great, bouncy curls that stayed that way even though she lived in damp, drizzly Scotland! I asked her what she did to her hair and she told me the product she uses and that I should go check it out. Spring and Summer in Minnesota can be very humid, as well.

So, here I am. Three weeks into letting my hair enjoy its natural state. From this website, I learned that I have 2b/2c, low porosity, medium density hair with underlying straight-ish hair. Currently, I am trying the Ouidad Climate Control line: shampoo, conditioner, Heat and Humidity gel and their Botanical Boost. I love my hair again! I've also recently tried using a diffuser-- I have never really used hair dryers before because, frizz attack! But I am embracing this new routine.

I see that a lot of Curly Girls on You Tube have so many products on their head at one time though and I would like to pare down products to 2 or 3. I would also like to learn a good second-day routine as this hasn't been successful to me. Thank you so much for all the information and all the future help I will most likely get. :)

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's nice to have you.
  • ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Hello! I've recently decided to put down my hair straightener and embrace my natural curls and this website has been very helpful. Thank you!

All this time, I have cursed my frizzy hair wishing it were straight. My hair was straight until I was 10 when it started sprouting curls/waves and a whole lot of frizz. This meant a lot of pony tails and updos-- which on the bright side, helped me be sort of a self-braiding expert. I can do French, Dutch, Crown, Fishtail braids and 3-,4- and 5-strand braids on my own hair. Necessity, and all that.

When I was in high school, I decided to experiment with Japanese chemical straightening-- it scalds your scalp when the chemical trickles that way but I get stick-straight, silky, shiny hair for a few months until it grows out. I finally decided to release myself from such torture and just straighten my hair myself using a straightening iron, and this has been my go-to style most days. For me, it was less stressful and I don't have to put too many products in my hair for me to look put together. But then it meant split ends and generally unhealthy hair.

But recently, I met a new friend who had great, bouncy curls that stayed that way even though she lived in damp, drizzly Scotland! I asked her what she did to her hair and she told me the product she uses and that I should go check it out. Spring and Summer in Minnesota can be very humid, as well.

So, here I am. Three weeks into letting my hair enjoy its natural state. From this website, I learned that I have 2b/2c, low porosity, medium density hair with underlying straight-ish hair. Currently, I am trying the Ouidad Climate Control line: shampoo, conditioner, Heat and Humidity gel and their Botanical Boost. I love my hair again! I've also recently tried using a diffuser-- I have never really used hair dryers before because, frizz attack! But I am embracing this new routine.

I see that a lot of Curly Girls on You Tube have so many products on their head at one time though and I would like to pare down products to 2 or 3. I would also like to learn a good second-day routine as this hasn't been successful to me. Thank you so much for all the information and all the future help I will most likely get. :)

Welcome!

I'm very glad to hear that you have come to embrace your hair and have embarked upon your very own curly journey. As, I think that's wonderful.
    Now based upon the products that you mentioned that you currently have from Quidad, you have all that you really need in order to get multiple day hair. On your hair wash days, you would simply use the Climate Control Shampoo, Climate Control Conditioner, Botanical Boost (as your liquid leave in, if needed), or if desired you can simply go right ahead and skip using the Botanical Boost and go right ahead and apply the Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel, and dry your hair as desired thereafter. I do highly recommend sleeping on a satin pillowcase, instead of a cotton one (if you currently aren't doing so). As, cotton pillowcases happen to actually aid in removing moisture from ones hair, and because most individuals with naturally textured hair have hair that is dry, it is recommended that such individuals use satin pillowcases for their hair to lay on, because it better aids with moisture retention instead of moisture removal (which cotton pillowcases unfortunately do). Plus, it also helps with better preservation of ones hair overnight as well. The alternative to sleeping on satin pillowcases would be for you to wear a satin bonnet instead. For 2nd day hair and beyond, the Botanical Boost is to be applied to refresh and renew your curls in the mornings, or even throughout the day as needed. On the Quidad website, you can find a video that provides more info on the Botanical Boost, by simply going to the exact product's page on their website. Plus, Quidad does have a YouTube channel, I believe, so there are instructional videos available both on the Quidad website as well on YouTube, that surely sure be of great help to you overall.

Also, when it comes to caring for and managing naturally textured hair, individuals' hair routines will definitely vary. As, I actually happen to be a minimalist, when it comes to what I use to style my hair with daily. I am able to use one product, and get good results to my curls on a consistent basis, all the way up until my regular wash day.

Good luck! As, I definitely do wish you all the best on your curly journey, my dear! :flower:
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • hellokt1813hellokt1813 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply! I'm going to look for a satin pillowcase and see how that will help. Today's another no-good second-day hair day. :) I actually like the way my hair looks with just the Climate Control gel. I wish I can get the same look for second-day hair. Mine just looks more poufy and definitely less soft than after a wash. I'll look at the Ouidad Youtube site for research.
  • BluejacketsgirlBluejacketsgirl Posts: 94Registered Users
    Other than the chemical straightening, we have pretty much the exact same story and the exact same hair!

I, too, have sworn off my flat iron and I'm loving the results. It is SO MUCH easier and my hair is so much healthier. So glad to have you here!!

Feel free to check out my blog, since we have similar hair, similar products might work for both of us. :)
    2C, low porosity, medium density
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Low-Poo: SM Fruit Fusion Weightless Shampoo
    Rinse Out & Leave In: SM Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner
    Syler: KCCC. BRHG
    Refresher: SheaMoisture Smooth and Repair High Shine Glosser

Read and follow my curly girl blog!:blob7:

Like me on Facebook!:thumright:
    Follow me on Twitter!:angel8:
  • hellokt1813hellokt1813 Posts: 10Registered Users
    Feel free to check out my blog, since we have similar hair, similar products might work for both of us. :)

Checkin' out your blog. It's hard to find wavy hair blogs/ tutorials. I like looking at how other 2's are handling their hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file